Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

1st Camino Starting From Nice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bill Stewart, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Bill Stewart

Bill Stewart New Member

Hi I will be starting May 12 and I was thinking of starting from Nice. Through Cannes, Aix en Provence etc.
    Has anyone done this? Can you compare this route to St Puy at this time of year - weather/lodging etc
    thanks, I'm a newbie

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  2. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Bill, I cannot comment regarding starting a camino from Nice, but during our 2015 camino frances, my wife and I met several pilgrims that started long before St Jean Pied de Port. We met two women that began their camino from Geneva, Switzerland. We met two middle age men from France (Jean Philippe the farmer, and Philippe ex-military) and both of them began their camino in northwestern France. Then we met a wonderful woman "Christine" who began her camino in central France. In each of these cases, SJPDP was only the halfway point of their camino. We asked them how the camino infrastructure in France compares to Spain. Their answers were very consistent - the camino trail in France is not as well waymarked, there are not as many places to stay, and the expense for albergues / hostels and meals was more expensive compared to the camino in Spain. That said, each said they had a wonderful experience hiking through France. Good luck on your camino. Bob