1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Week Hike

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Newforest john, May 27, 2017.

1. Newforest john

Newforest john Member

Hi all,

I may have to change my plans and instead of hiking the complete camino I may now only have enough time for two weeks. My question is has anyone else only done 2 weeks and if so I would need to fly back to UK. Is this possible to do without a nightmare regarding travel?

Cheers
    John.

2. John Hawke

John Hawke New Member

Home Page:
    I did a two week stint beginning April 1. The good thing about it is that you can start most anywhere. I flew into Bilbao and bused to Burgos then east to Belarado my starting point as I missed two days the year before.
    I ended up in Leon and bused back to Bilbao for my return to Paris and then The USA.
    Pick your spot and Buen Camino

3. alanhobo

alanhobo Member

Hi John, you can fly from stanstead to santiago or santander, i use ryanair, the bus from the airports to the main bus station (3 euros) alsa buses are very good, you can plan and book your tickets on line, i have used both over the years, hope this helps.
    good luck.

4. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi John

We did 9 days between the end of March to beginning of April. Flew Dublin to Bilbao, took the bus to Logrono and then walked to Fromista. Took the train from Fromista via Palencia (another lovely city) and then by train back to Burgos. Bus from Burgos back to Bilbao for the flight back to Dublin.

The only problem we had was that due to the late arrival of the flights to Bilbao (gets in at 15.35) we had to wait for the last bus to Logrono which meant we didn't get to Logrono until 10pm. On the way back it took most of the day to get to Burgos so we had to do another overnight in Burgos (not a hardship but one less day walking and when you are on such tight schedules you don't want to miss any).

I'm sure from the UK you will have more options with regard to flights (you could check out flights to Burgos or Pamplona!) no direct flights from Dublin unfortunately. The bus connections are excellent.

Buen Camino

Greg

5. Newforest john

Newforest john Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'm just going to have to hike and decided which option is best. See how far I get.

6. Newforest john

Newforest john Member

Hi John.

I'm looking to finish at leon and then would need to get back to bilbao but it looks a very long trip back. If I go to santander they only fly late at night into standstead which means I would have to stay there before train back to southampton.

Which site did you use to book your bus trip?

7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    When I walked my own Camino Frances, I split this into two sections – Saint Jean Pied de Port to Fromista and then, Fromista to Finisterra

On the first section, I didn’t make any fixed plans but estimated that I could get as far as Burgos in the two week timeframe that I had available, so I booked my return flight back to the UK from Madrid as it is a relatively simple affair to get to Madrid from almost anywhere in Spain suing the excellent public transport systems (Either Bus or Train)

In the end, I was in Burgos with 3 days to spare, so continued on to Fromista and then caught trains from there to Madrid – It was all pain free, reasonably priced and added to by first Camino experience.

So, my own “Advice” to you would be to do something similar and not to try to over-plan things

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob