1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20 Days To Go

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by cruiser9608, Apr 3, 2019.

1. cruiser9608

cruiser9608 Member

After losing my flight when wow ceased operations finally got new airline tickets purchased, Leaving New York on the 24th of april. But now my son will not be going with me. I cant explain the feelings i am going thru right now. See you there

2. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Have a great walk!

Amy Brooks and Wily like this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Cruiser - Sorry to hear that your son won’t be able to accompany you. My trips with my son and more recently my grandson were peak experiences. However, I know there will be other opportunities for the two of you to trek together.

Are you still biking the CF? Whether walking or cycling, you’ll have a great experience. April 24th will be here before you know it. I’ll be arriving in Sevilla two weeks from today where I will start the VDLP. This particular Camino will be by bike. Although it won’t be the same as walking, I’m really looking forward to lots of time in the saddle particularly after the cold winter we just finished. I will be covering quite a bit of terrain each day, but plan on doing it at a most leisurely pace. I will take every opportunity to stop and enjoy the very tasty cafe con leches Spain has to offer. So, travel safe and enjoy every day while on your Camino! Take care and Buen Camino!

4. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things

Wily....that's awesome that you are headed out again! I can't wait to hear about your experience on your bike. Just curious, do you have a hard case for your bike for travel? Was wondering how difficult it is to bring your bike across the pond? Years ago I flew with my bike to another state, and it was SO expensive. Later someone told me to box it up and declare it as exercise equipment to avoid such a surcharge! :D Buen Camino!

5. Wily

Hi Hindsy - I found the cost of shipping a bike outweighs the convenience of having my own bike with me. Got hooked up with Triana Backpackers in Sevilla where I am renting a bike. For 12 days, I’m getting a new or almost new bike for 239€.

https://www.trianahostel.com/en/bike-rental-st-james-way-camino-de-santiago

When I reach Santiago, their drop-off location is just across from the Pilgrim’s Office. How convenient is that?

This will certainly be a different type Camino, but one that will be most enjoyable. Although I won’t bump into the same people numerous times as one does walking, all the other basic elements of the Camino experience should be there. Nancy and I plan on putting our feet back on the ground in September with a fall Camino. I’ll keep you posted on my experiences as a bicigrino! Buen Camino.

Crepes4Suzette and hindsfeet like this.
  6. hindsfeet

Wily....thanks for the info. I might check that out in the future. I thought that I was heading to the CP in May, but for some reason I didn't have a peace about it. Not sure why. I put my application in to volunteer with Diverbo (near Madrid) mid August. If they accept me for that week, I will head for Portugal after that. Where are you and Nancy going in September? I am so glad to hear that you both will be walking together again! Life is GOOD!! :D

7. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

@hindsfeet please let me know how Diverbo works out. If I can fugure out how to get to Europe, I want to try it.

8. hindsfeet

I sure will Unkie.....just waiting to hear from them to confirm.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  9. Wily

Hey Hindsy - Due to Nancy’s leg problems this past year, if the Camino Gods are smiling upon us, we’re going to be very conservative in what we try to accomplish in Sept/Oct. At this point, since Nancy has not been on the CF, we’re going to walk the Pamplona to Burgos stretch. Navarra is one of my favorite provinces and I think that the terrain is appropriate for an easy Camino. As we won’t be pressed for time, we’ll be able to take each day as it comes without worrying about making it to any particular destination. The extensive infrastructure along the CF also makes it a good choice as well. Along with JacoTrans, if necessary, and all the villages with albergues, we’ll comfortably be able to smell the roses and drink cafe con leches along this lovely section of The Way.

Good luck with your application for Diverbo! That would be a great experience. Life IS Good! Buen Camino!

10. hindsfeet

That sounds like a great plan Wily. I loved that part of the CF as well. A friend that I haven't seen in almost 30 years (from Michigan) is planning on joining me on the CP. I usually prefer to walk alone, but I think it might be a good experience for me.....she warned me that she is a slow walker, and it would probably do me good to SLOW it down a bit and spend more time in the villages and 'chillin'.

11. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Wily, I'm not a "real" cyclist like you, but want to buy a road bike this year and may start cycling. I'm really eager to hear how cycling the VdlP goes and especially what you think of it as a route. I guess you'll miss the crush during Santa Semana, so that's good. Will you be blogging? Maybe checking in here and posting? Hopefully I'll "see you" here before you go, but if not, have a wonderful time!

Ginamarie and hindsfeet like this.