1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Camino Trek Alone But Which Route

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by BelindaSBrown, Jan 11, 2019 at 9:53 AM.

1. BelindaSBrown

BelindaSBrown New Member

Having completed camino FRANCES with my husband over three years I walked Santiago to Muxia in May 2018 to spread his ashes. This year I’m determined to carry on the journey as we had planned walking the camino Portuguese alone in May this year. It’s a big venture for me and I’m a bit apprehensive but hopeful I’ll meet many wonderful pilgrims as I always have before. Any advice welcome but I’m in two minds Whether to walk Lisbon to Porto on the original route or try to find the coastal route. How have people found the coastal route, will I find albergues ? I haven’t seen much mention of the community type evening meals you can find on the Frances route. I am planning to walk an average of 24km a day based on previous years. Thanks for any direction and advice.

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Belinda

Sorry to hear about your loss.

The Camino Portuguese is the second most popular Camino after The Camino Frances, so I am sure that you will meet lots of Pilgrims on the Camino Portuguese, as least from Porto – I can’t comment on the “Way” before Porto as this was where I started my own Camino Portuguese from :)

I can’t offer you much in the way of specific advice as it is a few years since I walked this route, there are still a few snippets in my trek notes that you might find interesting, so if you want to look, just hit the link in my tagline :)

One thing that I will mention is that the first 2 or 3 days out of Porto, the route is on cobblestoned streets and roads and many pilgrims find these incredibly hard on your feet, so please make doubly sure that you have suitable comfortable and durable footwear :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

hindsfeet, Ginamarie and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Belinda - How fortunate you were to be able to walk the CF with your husband. Having walked two Caminos with my wife, I value both the time and the experience we were able to share making our pilgrimages just that much more special. I can only guess how difficult your walk to Muxia was.

Although I haven’t walked from Lisbon, I can say that the central route from Porto to Santiago was a Camino that we enjoyed very much. As on the CF, meeting wonderful fellow pilgrims was so important to our experience. Unfortunately, when we walked in late March, there were not a lot of other pilgrims yet on this trail. But quality will always trump quanity! Our interactions with great people from locals to pilgrims added to our success and enjoyment of the CP. On the northern half of the Portugués, finding albergues, private or municipal, was no problem. We used both the Brierley guide and gronze.com to help us locate places to stay. Except at Casa de Fernanda, we did not find the group dinners so common an experience as on the Francés. Many restaurants offered pilgrim dinners, but not the community-type found in albergues (had we walked later in the season this might have been different just not sure).

I would add that beginning in Porto allowed us to conclude our journey in Santiago. I don’t think I’ll ever tire of getting my first glimpse of the cathedral upon completing a Camino. Best wishes in making your decision as to which route to take. As I’ve come to know, there’s no bad Camino! Regardless of your route, you’ll have another great experience. Bom Caminho!

hindsfeet and Ginamarie like this.
  4. BelindaSBrown

BelindaSBrown New Member

Thanks Rob, I have the right shoes so should be fine I hope as I’ve read this advice on quite a few posts.

RJS likes this.
  5. BelindaSBrown

BelindaSBrown New Member

I’m looking forward to finding Casa de Fernanda! Let’s hope a few more like that have appeared by now. Thank you for knowing how special it is to be able to walk with your spouse and the incredible experience it gives you. Gronze.com will be a new investigation for me but briefly I’m used to so I’m sure I’ll be fine. With thanks. Belinda

Canadian Wander and Wily like this.