1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Stage Camino Advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ian Shackleton, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Ian Shackleton

Ian Shackleton New Member

Good Afternoon,

My wife and I are looking at starting the Camino Frances next year but due to work commitments are probably going to have to split the Camino over 3 years. I am looking at the best places to stop/ start the walk with a view to transport links to major towns / cities and airport links etc.

UnkleHammy and RJS like this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Ian and welcome to the Camino Forum :)

Even though it’s a few years ago, I was faced with much the same problem when I walked my own Camino Frances as my walking mate also had time constraints and could only manage 2 weeks off work, so as we both wanted to start our Camino in Saint Jean Pied de Port, we flew from the UK into Biarritz – But arranged our flight back to the UK from Madrid, as we were told that it was relatively easy to get to Madrid from most places in Spain.

We thought that we would be able to walk as far as Burgos, but as it worked out, we still had time on our hands when we arrived there, so kept walking for another 3 days and ended up in Fromista. From there we took the train to Madrid without any problems and flew home.

Then when we returned, we flew into Bilbao and caught a train / bus combo back to Fromista, stayed a second night in the same Refugio (So that we had two stamps from Fromista in our credentials so as to prove we walked continuously) and were able to walk from there to Santiago de Compostela.

So – My own advice would be to do something similar and Not to plan a fixed stopping point to end your first stage, but to remain flexible and, within reason, see where you end up and as long as it has either a train station. Or is on a bus route, then getting to Madrid by public transport is simple.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  3. Ian Shackleton

Ian Shackleton New Member

That's great Rob, thanks for the advice.

4. BelindaSBrown

BelindaSBrown New Member

Hi Ian, my husband and i did exactly the same. We flew into Biarritz and caught the coach to St.Jean the next morning and headed to Burgos. if I was to do this again I would walk the same day to orisson and pre-book my accommodation in the tiny albergue there, it splits up the climb nicely and is maybe a 2.5 hour walk. We flew home from Santander, a beautiful 3 hour bus journey over the mountains which we wouldn’t have missed. In fact we returned the same route the following year, it’s a tiny airport with buses right there. we always started where we ended the year before. The next route we walked was Burgos to Leon a town which we loved, although a bit of long walk into the town. Then Leon to Santiago the following year with Ryanair flying back to uk. I did return the next year to walk Santiago to Muxia to spread my husband’s ashes after his sudden death and despite the circumstances this is a lovely relaxed 4 day walk. We had done the bus journey from Santiago to `finisterre and Muxia the year before and knew we wanted to walk it. This year I walk Lisbon to Santiago alone but know I’ll meet many wonderful people along the way. My only advice is don’t over plan and take the time to enjoy the experience. Buen camino.

UnkleHammy likes this.