1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

54 years old female etc

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by backiej, Jul 29, 2011.

1. backiej

backiej Member

Hi everyone

Thank you for encouraging me to come.

I am typing this in Zafra where the temeperature is already in the high 30s but it doesnt get really hot until about 3pm. My first camino is tough but good.
    I have walked all the route apart from the 16kms all along the main road from Castillo de los Arroyas (where the albergue is very dirty and insecure) to the gates of the national park but Alan took yesterday off and took the bus from Fuente de Cantos to Zafra because it is so hot. We had to take a taxi (20 euros) because ther is only one bus a day at 5pm
    I am so grateful for the advice re the electrolytes which are real life savers and as for the rivers to cross I wishe there was some more water because I would cross it gladly for the cooling experience. We are really slow evern though we only have about 7kgs each including 3 litres of water each because the temperatures are so high but this is not a race and I don,t have to return to London until September.

My trail shoes are giving out on the dry dusty roads but I am so glad I brought shoes and not boots. Trainers are absolutely out of the question because of the terrain. I tried them the first day and then sent them packing.

I will try to post again sometime but whenever I get to a place its too late for the library.

Jackie

2. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I'm so glad it's going well for you, Jackie. Hooray!

3. freedom13

freedom13 Member

Well done Jackie .....keep it going .

4. backiej

backiej Member

Hi again

we are now in Salamanca where the temperature has dropped to about 38

can anyone let me know where the steep rocky descents are between here and santiago

Thanks

Jackie

5. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    Hi Jackie ~
    Congratulations on making it to the halfway point. You've proven you can do this. Both options ahead of you are basically in the mountains, so you have the promise of cooler weather ahead, but also steep ups and downs.

As I'm sure you know, after Zamora you have an option of going north to Astorga and catching the Camino Frances. If you do that the big downhills are after Foncebadon to Molinaseca and then after O Cebreiro to Triacastela. Both of these are steep, rocky descents.

If you follow the Sanabres route you climb up to Padornelo and then have a steep downhill to Lubian (about -300 meters). You climb up again to Portela de la Canda and down to O Pereiro (about -400 meters). If you take the Laza option there's a steep downhill into and then after Campobeceros (about -600 meters -- I don't know the topography through the Verin option). You climb up to Albergueria and then have a long downhill to Ourense (-700 meters). Ourense is well known for being the hottest town in Galicia. :-( You climb steeply uphill to Cea and the Oseira and then gradually go downhill all the way to Santiago. Remember the godesalco.com site for topography info. The steepest, rockiest descent that I remember is the 100 meter descent into Campobeceros. The rest of the way into Laza is on an old mountain road.

Take your time and you'll do fine. Congratulations again on your great success!

6. backiej

backiej Member

Thanks again Sandy

I am typing this in Santa Croya so I´ve had a couple of ups and downs already. The weather has cooled considerably to about 28 so I am feeling quite cold sometimes. The funny thing is that I hated the heat when it was 28 degrees at home but I miss the heat now.

I´ll put an update on the forum when I can.

Jackie x

7. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    Wow, you have done really, really well, Jackie. Congratulations! Even though the weather is now sometimes cool I think you'll enjoy the change of scenery as you get deeper into the mountains. If you have time, do see the inside of the castle at Puebla de Sanabria. Most of all keep enjoying yourself. I hope your husband is doing well, too. All the best ~
    Sandy

8. backiej

backiej Member

Hi everyone

we made Santiago on 8th September after 50 days (we had 5 days off). We had a kind of emotional struggle coming to terms with having finished (the last 16kms from Outeiro were probably the slowest we had ever walked and we stopped at every bar on the way) but the overall feeling was sublime. Now we are just so grateful to be home even though the bank balance is gasping and I seem to have lost my job somehow it hasn't really sank in just yet.

9. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    Wow! Congratulations, Jackie. You did it! Sorry to hear about your bank balance and job, but congrats on your incredible accomplishment.

10. backiej

backiej Member

Thank you Sandy for all your love and support. The Camino was worth so much more than a bank balance and a job. It was a dream come true and you have been with us all the way.

11. Atlantic

Atlantic New Member

Jackie

You have done so well to finish. I tried the VdP in July /Aug against advice, and despite starting each day before dawn, I was roasted by 11.30. It was so, so tough.

I know from that experience just how well you have done.

12. backiej

backiej Member

Thanks to everyone. I did get wheels for about 140kms owing to tendonitis and tiredness and a time constraint before Salamanca. As I have said, I lost my job but it was worth it. I am using all my free time in writing up my diary as a book which I hope to self publish if its not too expensive (at least one copy anyway) to remind us of all the amazing things that happened and all the amazing people we met en route which means I am starting to put the weight back on with all this sitting at the computer.
    I have written about 35,000 words.
    This is a great way to feel that you are back there.
    One day I hope to walk the Camino del Norte but I'm still worried about those descents, although sticks are amazing.
    God bless

Jackie xx

13. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Hi Jackie !!!

Well done, WELL DONE, WELL DONE !!! After the heat you described, I'm sure you feel "well done". No matter, it was a "rare" accomplishment. :eek:

:rolleyes:

Make sure you include a chapter in your book about the fresh water sharks. ;)

I remember how afraid you were before starting. What an inspiration you are to me, as I suffer from that feeling often when facing a challenge. Thank you ever so much for sharing, and put me on the pre-publication list for one of your books !

:D

Ultreya !

14. backiej

backiej Member

Hi Alan

I'm so glad you posted this. Thank you, thank you and thank you. You have been given a special mention in my diary, right at the beginning because when I was 'hovering' Sandy encouraged me but you gave me the 'BIG shove'.
    If you send me your email address I'll send the first few pages for your approval. (I don't want a defamation case on my hands, do I?)
    With the very best of wishes
    Jackie

15. unadara

unadara New Member

Well done jackie, and in that incredible heat too...Love to read your diary. We also thinking of Camino Norte, I love the ups and downs, the 31 days has made my legs much stronger now too for the hills. Keep posting, who knows!

16. Atlantic

Atlantic New Member

You might want to think about publishing your writing as an e-book?

17. tshep1957

tshep1957 Guest

So inspired by you. I too am a 54 year old woman contemplatng hiking the Camino. Right now money is the obsticle. I'll get there some day. Can't wait to read your book. Its great to know there are others my age who can complete the walk. I've been worried! Lol. Thanks.

18. unadara

unadara New Member

Welcome tshep
    If you read through the threads you will see 54yr olds may be in the younger age bracket! During our Camino we met all ages and the 56 yr old from Denver never seemed to get tired, an Italian mother & daughter , maybe 70 + 50 ish set out most mornings early, had a very slow pace, we often saw them stopping to wave their hands in the air talking to each other, every night they were in the same queue as us for the alberques (well, a lot), they did not have a word of any other language and were doing the 800kms, despite the fact they talked non stop at 6am in the dorms we had to admire them..start a camino jar..our opportunity came about unexpectedly, and we will struggle to catch up with budgets but I am so glad we didn't put it off until we had "the money"..

19. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Yes, finances can be a real challenge. There are few things that I would advise using credit for (home purchase, car, education) but going into debt for $5000 to walk the Camino would be something I might recommend. Of course a lot depends on your motive for going and your ability to handle the payback. As long as you have a steady source of income and you can cover your current responsibilities, it is worth considering the option to go now and pay later. Some things are worth investing in. The Camino is a good investment. It is ultimately up to you to decide if the investment is right for you.

In the meantime, start the "Camino Jar". :D :D :D

20. unadara

unadara New Member

Terry
    I know in terms of travel you are miles apart from us in Europe with easy access. However, I see here people checking specials and routes etc etc so who knows, the daily cost for us did work out at €30, this is what the website eroski says it will, amazing that, we had days at the end which cost a bit more but we did retain our pilgrim habits! no fancy meals (though they would probably have been cheap too), in fact our last meal was so near the cathedral and €7.50 for set 3 courses, incredible. I agree with Alan re the investment..no other adventure, holiday, trek has ever given me this "return".

21. backiej

backiej Member

22. backiej

backiej Member

We spent around £5000 which looks like it worked out at around £100 per day but that amount also included buying kit, flights both ways eating out most of the time and a few nights of luxury. When we do the next Camino we will be spending a lot less because we don't have anything like that amount now. We will be staying in albergues every night and eating in but we would do it even if we had to camp out and eat out of supermarkets. As Lipka and Unadara have rightly stated, the money you spend should be considered as an investment. xx It really changed my life.