Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

70 days Le Puy to Santiago?

Discussion in 'Le Puy en Velay to Santiago de Compostela' started by kanewai, Dec 23, 2014.

1. kanewai

kanewai New Member

I'm in the early stages of planning a walk for 2016. I'll turn 50 that year, and my boss has already agreed to let me take time off! I've been reading the forums for a couple months already, and still have a couple general questions that will help me conceptualize it, and plan better.

My ultimate Camino would be to walk from Le Puy to Santiago in 70 days, taking a rest day every seven to ten days, and then have ten days for the walk to Fisterra / Muxía and a 'retreat' at the Little Fox House (which sounds like the most perfect way to finish the pilgrimage).

My first question: I know this is possible; what I don't know is, would this be a relaxed pace or a rushed one?

I want to take it easy and to enjoy the experience - I'm more inclined to linger over a cup of coffee in the morning and to enjoy long lunches than to race through the day. I figure that an average pace of 20 km / day on the Chemin St. Jacques and 25 km / day on the Camino francés sounds about right, mixed in with occasional rest days and occasional longer days.

My other big question regards finding the best start time. I go back and forth between a mid-April to June walk (colder in France, best weather in Spain less crowds at the end), a May to mid-July walk, or a mid-May to end of July walk (best weather in France, hot and crowded in Spain, and a finish on the Feast of St. James). I'll also be reading everyone's 2015 blogs to see what their experiences are.

2. lucymi

lucymi Member

Hello Kanewai, I haven't walked all of the Camino Frances myself, but from reading other posts, it takes around 30 days from SJPP to SdC, and around 4-5 days from SdC to Finisterre/Muxia. Of course everybody has his own individual walking pace so these figures are just to give you an approximate idea.
    Regarding walking from Le Puy to SJPP, a guy called Nev wrote a great blog early this year, he walked from Prague to Finisterre, here's the link:
    http://mycaminosantiago.com/categor...y-3109km-walk-from-prague-to-finisterre-2014/
    If you search through "Older Posts" at the bottom of the page until you get to 2nd or 3rd May, this is the part where he arrives in Le Puy.

3. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Mid-May to end of July or mid April -to June....could work well for you....once it was hot in Logrono in early May.. last few years the weather pattern has been fickle over the north of Spain...you seem to already have worked out which could be best for you. and 2105 blogs can only enhance that decision...lovely flowers in spring time....

4. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

just adding to my post. if you find on a given day it is too crowded for you,or there are large groups which do not suit you. taking a day off can make all the difference, and even be quiet the following day. not sticking to the page format in your guide book works well also, before or after the end of the suggested daily walk...and taking half a day of re jigs things around sometimes. you have the time...

5. kanewai

kanewai New Member

Thanks for the responses!

Just yesterday my boss gave me the official go-ahead to take a leave of absence that summer - which is my first step on the road :) I'll need to confirm dates with him sometime in the coming months - he'll be retiring when I return, so I need to set the dates soon so that we can both plan for a very big year.

I am not accustomed to cold weather at all - it's currently 67 F / 19 C in Honolulu, and we're all acting like it's an arctic freeze. I suppose that I'll have to adapt. Still, I think I'd rather experience rain and cold on the Aubrac than August on the meseta - and all the photos of France in May just look beautiful.

I realize that it's impossible to actually predict these things ... in the end I'll do what feel right at the moment & let the Camino lead me ... but the working plan I came up with while playing with the route planner is:

May 10 - Le Puy
    May 15 - Pentecost (Aubrac plateau)
    May 21 - Conques
    May 22 - Fête de la Transhumance en Aubrac
    May 24 - Célé Valley detour
    June 2 - Moissac
    June 10 - Aire-sur-l'Adour
    June 18 - St. Jean Pied de Port
    July 1 - Burgos
    July 2 - El Día de las Peñas (Burgos)
    July 8 - León
    July 23 - Santiago de Campostella
    July 25 - Feast of St. James
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
    This would involve 67 walking days and six rest days. A little faster than Kiwi Nomad and John & Gitti, and a lot slower than Farmer John and Camino Pilgrim Nev. If I walk faster no problem; if slower then I'll still have about a week's leeway on my visa.

Only remaining question at this point is whether to try and align my walk with feast days like above, or to start a few weeks later.

6. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    11 days from Le Puy to Conques seems fairly reasonable. We walked this section in 2012 over ten days. This part is hilly and harder walking than any of the Camino Frances. It is quiet in comparison though. I think Conques or the next stop would be a great place for a rest, on iPad right now not computer so don't have the name handy.

7. kanewai

kanewai New Member

I've played a bit with the route planners, and I think I'd be better budgeting for 80 days. If I end up walking faster there will be time to veer off on the Caminos Salvador and Primitivo, or continue on to Finisterre. And if not, there's plenty of room for extra rest and recovery days if I need them!

8. Harry Mac

Harry Mac No Time Like the Past

I'm making a very similar plan to yours but for '17. How did it work out?

9. kanewai

kanewai New Member

I couldn't get the time off this summer, so I postponed my walk to 2017 also. And no matter how much I read I still just don't know how it will work out.