1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Guide To The Spanish Wine Country

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wily, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Thanks Wily for sharing that article. It is a keeper and a companion for my next trip!! You got me right before lunch.....I'm hungry! :D :D

James Orrock, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  3. Bearded Peregrino

Bearded Peregrino Unshaven Member

Home Page:
    Thanks for the article! I've just gotten into Spanish wines so now I'll know what to look for.

Wily likes this.
  4. Cilla

Cilla New Member

Thanks for article. I will pop it next to my Brielys guide book for my up and coming Camino.

5. Rob Lendon

Rob Lendon New Member

That's useful stuff. I just discovered Ribeiro on the camino Ingles recently. It's now one of my favourite whites.

Kat Kostrzewska likes this.
  6. Kat Kostrzewska

Kat Kostrzewska New Member

Home Page:
    Next time I may be tempted to make a detour to pay a short visit to visit Marques de Riscal. Do some wine tasting and visit that amazing Frank Gehry’s hotel. Good wine and great architecture! It is apparently only 25 km from Logrono.

UnkleHammy, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Yes, my wife and I enjoyed Spanish wine every single day during both caminos - always selecting wine for the pilgrim's meal, and purchasing a bottle in local shops for early afternoon relaxing after we completed our daily walking, checking in at a hostel, etc.

We did experience a few bars that advertized "teaser" bargains that were misleading. For example, in Najera we found a bar that listed a glass of wine and a tapa for 2 euros. This lured us inside and we said we wanted their special. Then the waiter told us that wasn't available until 8 pm! We should have gotten up and left, but we decided to order a bottle of Marques de Caceres, so the bar was successful with their "tease". We'll be more alert for tricks like this during our next camino.

Bob

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  8. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Yes Bob, such good wine in Spain (and Portugal too). I remember sitting at a cafe in the main plaza in Ponferrada enjoying one of the best glasses of Bierzo that I had in this region. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the name of this particular tasty glass of grapes.

In Portugal, we never hesitated to order the house wine. In Redondela, at a local cafe-bar just across the street from the municipal albergue, our vino de casa came in the traditional bowl rather than glass and for just 1€ we did have to order seconds. For a house wine, I’d be happy drinking this every day. Cheers!

UnkleHammy likes this.