Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

About The Pilgrims Passport

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Zeynep Korkunc, May 29, 2017.

1. Zeynep Korkunc

Zeynep Korkunc New Member

Hi All; I will be walking Santiago de Camino this July and I wonder if anyone who walks it can get the passport or not ? For example I am not Christian is it still ok that I can get it ro do they have any precaution for that? Also I am located in Finland and I am palnning to get it in Pamplona and I wonder when I go there is it easy to et it or shall I make a reservation in advance to get it quicker when I am there? I will be in Pampola at 2nd of July and will start walking on the Third. Thanks in advance, Zeynep

2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi @Zeynep Korkunc welcome to the forum! Pilgrims passport you need to get a bed in albergues - it is a proof that you are pilgrim on Camino. It is not important if you are christian or not. You get it in main albergue in Pamplona, and probably on other places there (I started in SJPP, through Pamplona just walked)
    Pilgrims passport/Credential with daily stamps you need to get Compostella (certificate issued in Santiago) but I must said that Compostella is christian document.
    Btw - in municipal/parrqouial albergues along the way you can stay only one night. If you want to stay somewhere longer, you must stay in private albergues.

3. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Zeynep - As you will quickly find out on the Camino, there are all types of people from all corners of the globe who have many different beliefs. The Credencial serves several purposes, including being your admission ticket to the albergues. For pilgrims who do wish to get the Compostela, it's their proof that they walked the Camino. So, as Danvo said, you can purchase your passport (ususlly 2€) at the municipal albergue in Pamplona. No advanced reservation is necessary. It's simply a card that you will get stamped along The Way. Once you reach Santiago, you can decide whether or not to present it at the Pilgrim's Office. Keep in mind, if you are walking the Camino for spiritual reasons, not specifically Christian, you still qualify for a Compostela. Or, you can simply ask for a distance certificate upon completion of your journey. Buen Camino!

IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0772.JPG

4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Zeynep and welcome to this forum :)

You already have some good info already posted – Just a few more snippets in addition from me ;-)

Besides being able to obtain your “Credentials” at the Municipal Albergue ( http://www.urcamino.com/camino-frances/pamplona/albergue ) – You can also get them from The Cathedral – This might be useful info if you aren’t staying at the Municipal Albergue +

As you will probably be starting your Camino from The Cathedral, it’s a nice “Sello” to start your journey with.

If you happen to start your Camino from a different point then http://www.elcaminoasantiago.com/planificacion/credenciales.htm is a useful website which gives information on alternative places where Credentials are available.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob