1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accommodation St Jean In January

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by ChristopherX, Nov 5, 2017.

1. ChristopherX

ChristopherX New Member

Hello everyone, some 9 weeks to go before I set off on the camino frances. When I arrive in St Jean Pied-de-Port I shall probably be exhausted from all the train and plane traveling so I was thinking about booking a room at an hotel / bed-and-breakfast for that night. Can anyone recommend anywhere that is likely to be open w/c 8th January? Thank you.

2. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

Before you book accommodation, you might want to check if the Napoleon Route over the top is open. Check with the Pilgrim's office. Something about having to rescue too many people in the mountains in winter.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. ChristopherX

ChristopherX New Member

I can confirm that they closed the Route Napoleon last week and my itinery was to use the Road route.

UnkleHammy and RJS like this.
  4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Christopher

I don’t have a specific recommendation for accommodation at Saint John Pied de Port, but if you have a look on booking.com, I am sure that you will find something to suite your taste and budget – The sooner you book your room / bed. the more choice you will get :)

BTW - The Route de Napoleon will definitely be closed when you are walking your Camino in January – It closes on November 1st and reopens on 31st March – But The Valcarlos Route should still be open :) http://www.caminodesantiago.org.uk/threads/accommodation-st-jean-in-january.7251/

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  5. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

The road route is no different than doing Hedgehope/Cheviot from Wooler so if you are familiar with that terrain, you'll be OK.

UnkleHammy likes this.