1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acquiring Your Pilgrim Credential

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by HuskyNerd, May 3, 2012.

1. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    One of the most frequent questions we answer here on the Forum is, "How do I get my pilgrim credential?" It's a good question and worth having as a "sticky" thread on this great site.

The pilgrim credential (credencial in Spanish) is your passport to stay overnight in albergues along the way on each official camino route. When you arrive at an albergue you're asked to present your credential (and sometimes your national passport). Your credential is then stamped with the albergue's rubber stamp and dated with the day of your arrival. When you arrive in Santiago de Compostela you show your completed credential and the cathedral office Cathedral Office Location examines it to ensure you've walked at least the last 100 km or biked at least the last 200 km into Santiago. If they approve, you're given your compostela, the cathedral's official pilgrimage completion certificate. So your credential is a very important document and should be kept with your most important papers as you make your pilgrimage. Here are my completed credentials and compostelas from my own previous caminos: Caminoist - Prior Caminos:credentials and compostelas

Most all albergues along each camino have generic credentials available for purchase. These credentials are approved by the cathedral office and are acceptable for use all along the way. The cost is usually 2-3€.

Many pilgrims choose to secure their credentials from their national camino confraternity, the organization in most all larger developed countries that supports pilgrims and helps equip them for their walk. In some cases the credential is supplied only to people who make a donation for their confraternity's work. In other cases the credential is free or granted by donation. I encourage pilgrims to support their national confraternity by acquiring their credential from that source and making an appropriate donation since the sale of credentials is often the major income source for these important organizations. Also, I feel it adds to the color and diversity of the camino to have pilgrims carrying credentials that reflect the many nationalities present on this pilgrimage.

Here's a listing of webpages from some confraternities in various English-speaking countries:
    Certain other organizations also dispense credentials, part of their plan to make it easy for pilgrims or to raise funds for their church or organization. Always be certain you know whether the credential's expense is going to a cause you support and whether the credential is approved by the Cathedral of Santiago. My own opinion is that we pilgrims need to support our national confraternities whose dedicated goal is to enhance the experience of pilgrims from our many countries.

If you stay overnight at a hotel or hostel you should also plan to have your credential stamped at the front desk. Credential stamps (sellos in Spanish) are also available at many bar/cafes and restaurants along the way. Be certain to count the available squares on your credential and plan ahead so you have at least one square available for each day (and some say you should plan on two stamps per day in the last 100 km).

To walk to Finisterre you'll want to acquire a credential specific for that walk. You can get this credential at the albergue in Negreira, the first albergue you encounter on your walk from Santiago to Finisterre. At the Finisterre municipal albergue you can present this credential and get your lovely Finisterrana certificate.

Please feel free to add any additional links that might make this sticky thread better. Buen camino!

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. nancy jane

nancy jane New Member

Thanks that was helpful

3. jcraigmiller

jcraigmiller New Member

Can we obtain credentials in Madrid, if so, where ? or Astorga ?
    thanks

4. Tony Two-Tone Cortado

Tony Two-Tone Cortado New Member

Home Page:
    If a pilgrim is sleeping outside for a few days in a row, can s/he get a credential from any albuergue, hostel or hotel in the village they passed while walking?

5. RoryGentry

RoryGentry New Member

On americanpilgrims.com, I saw this note about credentials:

I thought you could only get a stamp if you stayed at a particular place. Where/ how would you get a second stamp? At restaurants? Businesses?

6. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    You'll find that most every bar/cafe, restaurant and hotel has pilgrim stamps. Most churches do, as well.

7. xib111

xib111 New Member

As somebody planning on walking from Salamanca to Sevilla, i.e. a reverse section, would I be permitted to obtain a credential and stay in the albergues.

8. StuartM

StuartM New Member

You can definitely get one in Astorga at the albergue with the big pilgrim statue outside, i think it is called Siervas de Maria.

9. ArkBuilder

ArkBuilder New Member

Home Page:
    Here are my completed credentials and compostelas from my own previous caminos: Caminoist - Prior Caminos:credentials and compostelas

This link is not available for Camino Frances to see your credencial. American Pilgrims provide one which has your name in a very nice font printed in front page. However, its a bit smaller than the one shown in "The Way" that Martin Sheen character ["Tom Avery"] gets from the Captain in SJPP.

If anyone is careless in stamping your credencial they could take up half a page. If you get six [6] stamps per page and there are seven [7] pages, you will only have room for 42 stamps including the one you get in SJPP.

Any veteran pilgrims have any comment on this issue? Will that be enough?

Its a very nice pilgrim's passport and a nice size to transport, but it concerns me if there are enough spaces / pages for 800km.

What say you community?

Thanks.

10. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    The link is fine. Scroll down and click on the thumbnails to view my various credentials and compostelas.

11. carita

carita New Member

Hi Ark builder
    I finished last month and used 2 books for credencial because I liked to get stamps from churches and special eating places etc. so when you finish the 42 spaces just buy another and join it on the end.The stamps are varied in colour ---red green black blue and are a
    great memory jogger.You can have 3 books if you want. Judy

12. rayaqui

rayaqui New Member

Dear all,

I am from Malta and will be doing the portuguese camino from Lisbon. Could anyone give some information how to obtain my credentials. Is it possible to obtain it from Lisbon on my arrival before the camino or I have to obtain it beforehand say form Uk etc.

Could I obtain it through the confarternity of St James in Irland??

I feel quite confused

Thank you and buen Camino,

Ray

13. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Hi Ray

Two places in Lisbon.The Igreja dos martires / Basilica dos Martires if your looking on Google maps. close to the Baxia.Chiado metro stop. there is an office on the left hand side of the main isle.

and Igreja de Santo Eugenio not far from and to the right of the airport in Lisbon on R Lojistas. contact first...aej.lisboa@gmail.com.

I check these places out for location. make sure on the first one you type into Google maps the Basilica dos Martires as well or your end up in Rome

you can join the Confraternity in London online for a pilgrims passport. you have to become a member before they will give you one.

14. highlander

Ray visit www.pilgrims-to-santiago.com and here you will find how to request a free credencial from the Rev Ian Holdsworth here in the Uk.

I collected 6 from him in 2013 in Peterborough for me and some others in London and made a donation to the church......I suggest you could send a envelope stamped & self addressed 8 inch x 5 inch. to cover his postage costs.

inside the front cover (top) he will stamp the church sello/stamp and when you arrive in Santiago the pilgrims office will stamp the bottom of that page with the cathedral sello/stamp.all you do is write where it says D.N.I your passport number when you get your credencial......your address next to Dirrecion.
    date you leave next to Fecha.
    next to "comienza la peregrinacion en" where your starting from i:e Lisbon. tick box "a pie " meaning walking or "en bicicleta" bicycle or "a caballo" horse/donkey.
    the date and space below is for the pilgrims office to date and stamp at the bottom in Santiago.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  15. Orava

Orava Active Member

Thanks for that Highlander! I lived in Peterborough for many years before moving to Finland - so getting the P'boro' Pilgrims version of the credential will be a bit more special for me!

16. Orava

Orava Active Member

Got this repy from the Peterborough Pilgrims which is a shame:
    Edit...Oops the insert pdf did not work, trying again..

Thank you for your recent email/ letter. Asking for credentials for the SantiagoCamino.
    I am sorry to say that we no longer supply credentials. There has been somethingof a change of policy in the pilgrim office in Santiago, which means that we are nolonger an agent for the official credentials. However they can now to be obtainedthrough the Camino de Santiago forum. The link is :-http://www.santiagodecompostela.me/products/official-pilgrim-credencial-pilgrim-passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiago

I am also sorry to say that you will have to pay for the service, which we onceoffered for nothing.
    Yours In XC
    Ian Holdsworth
    Spiritual director Peterborough Pilgrim

17. highlander

Orava
    what does it say. not working my end clicking on the link

18. Orava

Orava Active Member

See my edit below

19. highlander

ORAVA

That is a shame...Ivar sells (donation suggested) pilgrims passports. I might print my own one for myself and copy all the written words & info like for like.

make it more robust, I've seen home made ones before in the pilgrim office accepted and I know off a lady who has worked in the pilgrims office,who has seen many times homemade ones. with no problem getting a compostela, I also saw a pilgrims passport for the via de la plata on ebay.

Real shame about the Rev Ian not being able to offer them anymore. he has yellow arrows from the train station to his church....he also spends time in the pilgrims office from time to time

20. lucymi

lucymi Member

Hi Ray, according to the Irish Society of the Friends of St. James you can buy your pilgrim passport in Dublin at following address:
    Pilgrim Passports can also be purchased Monday to Friday 10am to 12pm at :

Saint James’s Church, James Street, Dublin 8
    (I think this is close to the famous Guinness brewery, so you can pick up your credencial and have a pint afterwards)
    Here is the link to their homepage: http://www.caminosociety.ie/pilgrim-passport.26.html
    I've heard that the Irish credencial is very nice and I intend to get one myself next time I'm in Ireland, around May I hope.

21. rayaqui

rayaqui New Member

Tyhank you Lucymi for your reply,

I suppose I can obtain it online through the official St James link.

Buen Camino

Ray

22. lucymi

lucymi Member

23. rayaqui

rayaqui New Member

Dear Lucymi,

Thankyou for your note, I looked at the link and it seems as you say. I happen to know a portuguese resident in Malta and I will try to get a translation.

If I can obtain it in Lisbon it will be more easy for me. I will spend a full day in Lisbon.

Thank you for your help,

Kind regards,

ray

24. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi,

one of the easiest way to translate is by using Google Chrome - http://www.google.com/chrome/

It is a browser the same as Internet Explorer - but better and faster. I use it most of the time.