1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advertisements?

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by Hobbler, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

In my most recent post two words ('wealth' and 'believe') became links to advertisements. Is this normal? Maybe it is intended but it hasn't happened before.

2. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Hi Garrett ~

I've checked your last posts and see no hyperlinks to advertisements within your posts. The site does use Google Ads, which scans a page and fills ad space with advertisements that some computer somewhere believes fit the topic. This is very common in blogs and forums like this, but having a hyperlink within a post would be something very new. If you see a hyperlink in one of your posts, please copy the link it sends you to so we can investigate. Thanks!

3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi,

If you can show me an example I will check. Links only appear in text when someone adds a link - the hyperlink is converted to text for ease of use, so someone knows what is on the other end of the link.

4. grayland

grayland Member

Actually, I have seen what Hobbler is referring to. Don't see any now...but I have seen it and wondered.
    Thought Leslie had found a new revenue stream.:cool:

5. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

Strangely enough, Sandy, when I posted my query the word 'wealth' became a hyperlink but this evening when I open the thread the word is in normal type. Inexplicable. I fly to Biarritz tomorrow morning so I guess I won't be on the forum again until I hit an internet cafe. Thanks for myour help.

6. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I did notice that when I search for a term the word is highlighted in the post on which the search engine finds it. At first these looked like hyperlinks to me, but then I realized they were just highlighted words. Could that be what's happening?

Have a great camino, Hobbler!

7. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

Thanks Sandy. Last post before the bus whisks me off to the airport. No they were definitely hyperlinks. I clicked on one and it opened a commercial site but I closed it immediately and did not click on any others. Doesn't seem to have been in any way sinister.

8. koilife

koilife New Member

Have you considered an ad-free model? I gladly donated to Ivar on caminodesantiago.me and would here as well. The ads really annoy.

9. grayland

grayland Member

Ads don't bother me as I just see them as helping the forum to exist.

10. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

The ad hyperlinks I was referring to at the commencement of this thread were not put up by the forum administrators but seemed to be intrusions of some kind. They have not been evident recently.

The Google ads that appear at the top and bottom of the page don't interfere with the posts and don't irritate me in any way. At present this page is showing gorgeous females from the orient at the top. What more could an old josser like me want?

11. koilife

koilife New Member

I recognized the difference between the type of ads you were describing, and the ads at the top and bottom, which are what I'm referring to. Somehow, Google doesn't see fit to show me what they show you . . . But good for you!