Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Advise

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Newforest john, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Newforest john

Newforest john Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. After a rather tough 3 years, I've decided there must be more to life than just working and feel I need some time to reboot and decide what I really want from my life. My plan is to take 6 months off work. No job to go back to after but I will deal with that later. I'm a keen hiker and current half way through walking the south west coastal path, which I'm hoping to finish the end of April 2017. I'm then going to sail around the solent for a few weeks then off to walk the camino Frances.

What I'm after is some sound advise for walking the whole path in one go. Would be great to hear from those who have walked before.

Look forward to hearing from you.
    John.

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey John - Welcome to the Forum. When you refer to the "whole path," I'm thinking that you're referring to the 800 km. Camino Francés from SJPP to Santiago, correct? There are a number of other Caminos, but the CF is the one most people think of.

First, let me suggest digging into the archives and posts made on this Forum to answer many of your questions (even those you haven't thought of yet). A wealth of information exits here provided by a very large number of experienced pilgrims who have walked one or more of the Caminos. But, by far, most of the posts focus on the Camino Francés.

Most pilgrims, although not everyone, walk the entire CF in one outing. If you look at a guidebook like Brierley's, you'll see that he divides the trek into 34 daily stages. So, walking this in "one go" is most common and very doable if you can invest 5-6 weeks. Although I walked it in 31 days, I'd certainly recommend a bit more than this including some rest days along The Way. It's a pilgrimage of a lifetime!

3. Randy Dickow

Randy Dickow Donating Member Donating Member

Good advice above. I walked the CF this last Sep-Oct over 33 1/2 days. Two rest days, the first in Burgos, the second in Leon. I ended up 2 days ahead of schedule, which allowed for an extra day in Santiago. In hindsight there are a couple other places I would have liked to have spent more time in. I guess I'll just have to do this again before I get too much older! (71 now.)

4. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Looking through many of the posts here tend to show that the really fit types that just want to "get there" take 20 to 30 days, typical walkers take 30 to 40 days and those of us that want take a little time to explore and savour Spain take over 40 days which allows for getting to Muxía etc. I planned for 45 days , assuming that I would have "extra" time to be a normal tourist in Europe . I am 74.

Ginamarie and Gerry Vandermaat like this.
  5. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator Donating Member

I walked the CF from SJPP through Santiago and on to Finisterre. I blogged each day with lots of info and photos. You are welcome to take a look and I suggest you also read through the blogs of others. This will give you an idea of subjects you want to learn more about. Once you have done some research, come back with specific questions.
    https://magwood.me/camino-blogs/

6. Newforest john

Newforest john Member

Thanks for your replies. Yes I'm looking to walk the sjpp to Santiago. I'm used to hiking long distances so looking forward to the challenge. I will look through the forum and gain as much info as possible and ask if I can't see what I'm after. Apologies for the questions!!

Don't want to rush it so I will probably look to complete it in 35 -40 days.

7. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    G'day John,
    A wonderful adventure lies before you. Whilst you seem to be pretty well traveled, the Camino will surprise you. We spent 40 days "strolling"along the CF from StJPdP to Santiago. We didn't go onto Finistere, but we will add a few days onto our Way next time.
    Best wishes
    Gerry:)

AnnaKlura, Ginamarie and Wily like this.
  8. Ian T

Ian T New Member

UnkleHammy and Gerry Vandermaat like this.
  9. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator Donating Member

Many thanks for those kind words, and I am very pleased you found the blog useful.
    Buen Camino, Maggie

Gerry Vandermaat and UnkleHammy like this.
  10. Ginamarie

Ginamarie New Member

Good for you Randy-that's fantastic! I hope to see you on your next one! I am doing my first CF this April/May and so excited. I will start in Portugal the 2nd one. Isn't retirement great?

Gerry Vandermaat and Wily like this.
  11. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    G'day Gina, My wife and I walked the CF in April/May in 2015. We had a wonderful experience and the country and climate gave us all their different variations. Best Wishes.

Ginamarie likes this.
  12. Newforest john

Newforest john Member

Hello again.

Ive had a slight change of plan. I'm now going to finish the swcp in May. 300 miles then take a couple of weeks rest before starting the camino mid June. I'm looking to complete the walk in 35 days, which I think is doable... I'm sure I've read that most pilgrim's spend 30 euro per day. Is this realistic? Money is going to be tight so would like a good idea of cost.

Many thanks

13. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Sounds like you are a Fit Lad Joh walking 300 miles on the South West Costal Path before you start your Camino will certainly get you even Fitter

So you will find walking the Camino Frances from SJPdP to SdC a Doddle by comparison :)

With your budget – If you stick to Municipal Refugios and try to find ones with kitchens and are happy to cook your own food then keeping under 30 euro per day is this realistic – Yu will still be able to splash out on a meal out now and again and stay in a Private Albergue hotel occasionally if there are no Refugio’s available

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

14. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey John - I think you can very reasonably walk the CF on 30€ a day. This was my budget last year and I didn't exceed it. Your albergues will cost you between 5-10€. If you partake in the pilgrim meals, and most were well worth the money, they were typically 10€. Beyond that, a couple Euros for a light breakfast, drinks and snacks along The Way, and perhaps a beer or wine before dinner. Even on this budget, I primarily stayed in private albergues and ate very well although like most, lost weight! Other than food and accomodations, there is very little else to spend money on when walking. Give yourself a little bit of a buffer, but, in general, 30€ a day will work. If you visit Gronze.com, you'll get a pretty accurate picture of most of the albergues along The Way along with what it costs to stay in each one. Doing the CF in 35 days is easily doable. Enjoy and Buen Camino!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  15. Orava

Orava Active Member

With your level of fitness you would easily be able to maintain a 30km plus daily average and complete SJPdP to SdC in 20 plus days. I did it in 27 day and am by no means super fit or any sort of athlete. I would advise you to stick to your 35 days plan though and stop to smell the roses. Walk as long or short a leg as seems right on the day. If you meet up with a good crowd/camino family then their pace will probably dictate etc.

About 30€ was approx my own budget and I was able to eat out when I wanted to. 30€ is plenty as long as not too many hotel nights and gourmet restaurants (although restaurant food is very reasonably priced even then). There are also the donativo refugios which are donation only. They are an option if funds are low. The cafes right next to the camino are also more expensive. When you walk into a town the bars a few blocks over from the camino are always much cheaper, more authentic as well and not packed out with peregrinos.

16. Newforest john

Newforest john Member

Many thanks for your advise. Certainly will help me with my budget planning. I'm going to be walking g towards the end of June so probably going to be rather warm but that's Ok for me.

17. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

John, my wife and I walked our first camino the fall of 2015. We followed Brierley's advice and allowed 35 days to reach Santiago, with the start in SJPDP. We took one rest day. In terms of budget, it cost us 35 euros each and ate a pilgrim's meal each evening, and enjoyed wine / beer snacks along the way. We loved the camino experience and are walking Camino Frances again in September along with my brother and his wife. Bob

18. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Member

Hi John 2 yrs ago when I walked it most albuergues cost approx. 10euros a night and a meal in the Albergue was normally 10euros so you can rest assure your daily cost will start from there. Every time I stopped during the day for a coffee or sticky Danish yes another 5euros and I love my coffee and Danish I need the calories ha ha. I'm sure costs have increased even slightly. I calculated when I walk it again this July I plan to walk it in 33 days and a cost of 35euros per day is over 1100 euros for the journey so this time I've bought a tent and plan to camp out 3-4 days then 1 night in an Albergue to do my laundry which saves almost 700 euros which is a great relief and the benefit I get to see Spain at night under the stars, what better way to walk the Camino. I know it's going to harder especially starting the 24th July middle of summer but I'm relishing the challenge and the fresh air. One definite upside is I wont have to suffer endless night of snoring. Buen Camino Keith

UnkleHammy likes this.
  19. Mike from Canada

Mike from Canada Member

My best advice for you is don't stop at Santiago, take the extra 3-4 days to Finsterre, you'll know why I suggested it if you choose to do so ;)

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.