1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Conditioning In Albergues ?

Discussion in 'The Weather' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Jun 30, 2018.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Both caminos we walked were in Sept-Oct and the weather was mild both times. I can't imagine walking the camino during the hot months.

The latest forecast calls for 100 degrees in Santiago next weekend. I know many pilgrims get up very early in the morning to hike early to beat the heat. Most albergues leave windows open at night to allow some fresh air to circulate. For those that have walked the caminos during the summer months, can you comment whether albergues use air conditioning to keep the rooms cool? What are other things you do to stay cool during the warm days and evenings? Bob

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I can’t recall staying at Any Refugio’s, Municipal or private that had air-con – One or two of the upper end hotels we stayed had air-con, but even they were few and far between and often on costal routes where there would have been a lot more mainstream tourism.

I have walked quite a few routes in hot times including The Cami San Juan 11 in July and we were walking in temperatures of 30 C + - The biggest problem that we had was carrying sufficient water and took to knocking on doors to get bottles refilled, we were usually met with extreme kindness and were often given large bottles of mineral water out of peoples fridges – We did feel that we were being a bit of a nuisance, but had little alternatives when there was no public Fuente’s available.

Keeping cool in the evenings was usually not a problem, first of all drinking copious amounts of cool water then just lying on the top of the bed in a pair of boxers and when possible, securing a bed near an open window.

Sorry I can’t be of more help

Best Regards

Rob

3. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Bob

My wife and I walk mostly in Spring and Autumn (usually end of March into April and end September into October). even then we have had a few really hot days. We usually stay in private albergues or B&Bs and hotels. The only time we have come across aircon is in the bigger hotels.

I cannot recommend the Mission Enduracool towels highly enough. They definitely saved us and our sanity on the hotter days :) (Note: I really should start charging them for the plugs!!)

Buen Camino

Greg

4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Hey Greg - thanks much for the recommendation on the Mission Enduracool towel! I've not heard about these before and don't recall seeing them on either of our caminos. I just checked this out on Amazon.com. Very reasonable price and very highly rated. A few questions for you. These come in various sizes and colors. What size did you and your wife use on your camino? Also, I'm assuming that after several days of use, these need to be cleaned. How often did you clean yours and how did you clean them? Thanks again for the great lead. I'll plan to purchase some for my wife and myself to use on our next camino. I might also purchase a set for my brother and his wife. They walked with us during the last camino and enjoy outdoor hiking in Montana, where they live. Bob

5. Greg Canning

Hi Bob

I think it's about 12" by 30". Just big enough to wrap around the neck. I got mine in Bed Bath and Beyond in Florida (I now have 3!!). Can't really remember how much they were. Around $15 or $16. You could try their online store or visit one of their stores if they are nearby.

I remember the day we climbed down from the Alto de Perdon. My wife had been very sceptical as I tend to be highly susceptible to gadgets but she soon changed her mind in the scorching heat of early afternoon. I don't think we would have made Puente de la Reina without the towel. The great thing is that even using water from your water bottle that may have warmed up as you walk the towel still works great. You simply wet the towel, wring it out a bit and snap it three times...instant aircon :). And it stays cool for quite a while.

As for cleaning, I would rinse out with warm water at the end of every day and let it dry out. Every week or so give it a wash when you are washing your walking gear. They are machine washable.

I have seen some reviews say that they are less effective in higher humidity but I haven't had that experience as yet.

Hope they help.

Buen Camino

Greg

6. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Greg - Just in from a 60 km bike ride in 90F heat. I could really have used one of those towels! Nonetheless, this discussion about exercising (i.e., walking, riding, etc.) in high temperatures just brings home the importance of doing all the right things along The Way (or anywhere else) to protect yourself from getting ill. As we have pointed out in other threads, hydration is so important on these hot days. The liquid and minerals one can expend in the course of several hours of exercising in the heat is pretty amazing. Even riding this morning, just as I did on the Camino on some 90+F days in Navarra, my go to drink on a rest stop was an electrolyte replacement drink. Any of us who have experienced dehydration knows both how serious it is and how it diminishes the body from doing much beyond that point. My other suggestion to anyone walking on extremely hot days, as Bob mentioned, leave early. Beat some of the heat my walking before it gets hot and then stop in the early afternoon. Take plenty of breaks and drink before, during, after after your stage. Be safe and Buen Camino!

7. Greg Canning

Believe it or not Wily we have been getting some pretty high temperatures here in Ireland over the past week or so. Well hot for us that is (high 20's C or late 70's early 80's F). I'm walking my dogs and jogging very early in the morning :)

But you are so right. As Unkle Hammy can attest staying hydrated is really really important. Like you I try to include an electrolyte replacement drink at least every second day on Camino. I always bring some sachets with me to mix in my drinking water when on Camino. In fact it's a habit I now include in my routine whenever I'm on holiday in hotter climes (e.g. Florida).

Buen Camino

Greg

8. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Thanks, Greg. We'll buy these for sure for our next camino. Two very hot stretches for us during our last camino: Los Arcos to San Sol. We had a nice lunch break in Los Arcos, then walked in the brutal sun to San Sol. The other tough stretch was walking the via romana to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos. Very long hike with no places to stop, no places to refill our water bottles and no shade from the sun. I'm sure the Mission Enduracool towel would have helped keep us cool. I see they also offer Enduracool wrist bands and other related items. Thanks for the tip ! Bob

9. Greg Canning

Hi Bob

I remember the Via Romana only too well. We were late leaving Sahagun and those last kilometers in searing heat to Calzadilla were cruel. I never enjoyed a G&T so much as the one we had on our arrival at the Via Trajana .

I hope they work as well for you.

Buen Camino

Greg