1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Albergue Calzadilla De Los Hermanillos

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lirsy, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

Hi!!

I will be in the albergue in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos from the 31st March up to the 15th April.

If someone goes through this town, for sure I will be up for preparing a "queimada" or sharing a wine ... or two! ;)

Calzadilla de los Hermanillos is a small variant of the Camino Frances (Via Trajana, following the Roman road) that starts 5 km after Sahagun and finish in Mansilla de las Mulas.

hindsfeet, Ginamarie, danvo and 3 others like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Lirsy - Working as a hospitalero sounds great! Just another way of giving back to the Camino for all it offers those of us who walk it. Spending a couple weeks at an albergue helping pilgrims is definitely on my bucket list.

For anyone looking for a quiet alternative route, the road in and out of Calzadilla de los Hermanillos will fit the bill. When I diverted off the main route just past Sahagun, it seemed as though I had the Camino now all to myself. It wasn’t until I reached Calzadilla that I ran into a few other pilgrims doing the same thing. The town itself was as peaceful as any that I went through on the CF. My cautious side would recommend that if you are going to take this alternate route along the old Roman road that you do so with a friend. As it is pretty isolated, I’d suggest walking it with someone else just in case of an emergency. Buen Camino!

3. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

Yeah! I like the idea quite a lot. If I am able to organize a backpack suitable for both purposes, after the 15th April I will keep walking up to Santiago, if not ... OK I will return home and I will start the Camino from my front door!! :)

hindsfeet, danvo, UnkleHammy and 2 others like this.
  4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Lirsy, my wife and I have walked the camino frances twice. First time we walked the route "real camino frances" through Bercianos and El Burgo Ranero. It was a quiet and peaceful walk with a well developed senda, trees planted along the walk provided shade and there were numerous places with benches to stop and enjoy water breaks and snacks. Last fall, we walked the "via Romana" to Calzadilla de los Hermanillos. It was a major disappointment. I naively thought there would be markings or remnants of the old roman road. It was a flat walk through vacant scrubland on a rocky trail. Very little shade along the very long trail and I don't recall a single parkbench to rest. We were happy to finally arrive in Calzadilla. The town is very small. We were able to find a simple little store to replenish our snacks for the next day (and beer/wine for the afternoon). Walking towards Mansilla de las Mulas the next day, we saw the camino frances trail just over the train tracks. We hiked cross country 50 meters to walk the rest of the way along the other route, enjoying the shade and rest stops. We are planning our third camino in 2019 and will take the real camino frances. Bob

5. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Lirsy, that sounds like fun. I'd love to hear how you got involved/chose a place. I've thought about doing it too You're from GB? Please post how you're getting along and how you like being a hospitalero there.

6. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

Hi!!

I will go a couple of days in advance in order to walk the two sections of the camino (main and alternative) and to pick up info about the towns (which bars open early in the morning, ATM, etc... the kind of info I would like to count with when I am a pilgrim).

I have already collected some info regarding the town and about this section of the Camino. It looks like the original Camino Frances was the actual alternative (Via Trajana) and that the name of the town Calzadilla comes from that, from being in the Camino (At least I read so:)).

For how I got involved, easy thing: http://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/hospitaleros/cursos.asp

The site is in Spanish, but there you have the contact data of several places in English (at the bottom), you can contact them and for sure they will be able to explain better than me how it goes. And google translate, sure!! :)

Je je ... just for my clumsy English .... No, I am Spanish.;)

It is curious that they are organizing courses in many countries, but I don't see any in the UK. Taking into consideration the number of UK pilgrims, I guess some other organization takes care of this.

For what respect to the asigment of an albergue ... they do that, always taking into consideration the dates in which you are avalaible and your preferences.

7. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

8. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey All - For anyone living in or near Canada or able to travel there, the Canadian Hospitalero’s Association offers training a couple times a year on both the east and west coasts. Based on my inquires, Americans are welcome to take part in the hospitalero training as well. Although a training session in Toronto is now just a few days away, there is an April session in Victoria. Here’s a link to their newsletter that you can subscribe to. Buen Camino!

http://canadianhospitaleros.blogspot.com/

9. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

WOW!! Just for the pictures I am tempted to take a second trainning!! ;)

I hope many people decide to become involved. I have always thought that counting with hospitaleros from different countries is always a VERY good idea!!

10. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Lirsy

Well done to you for volunteering. I hope you have a wonderful time. My wife and I stayed in Calzadilla last September and we thought it was a lovely place to stop. The Via Trajana between Calzada del Coto and Calzadilla was a bit challenging at the end of a long day's walk from Terradillos de Los Templarios but we did enjoy it and felt we had earned our gin and tonic at the end of the day. The walk out of Calzadilla in the morning was really lovely.

Like Wily says, it's probably best to walk this section with someone else and to make sure you fill your water bottle at the fountain Calzada.

Best of luck and Buen Camino

Greg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  11. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

Tnx Greg!!

I already found a couple of shorcuts, but I have to walk them before I can recomend to anyone.

12. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

Hi Lirsy, I won't be there until September. Have a great time!
    Gina

13. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

Thank you for your perspective Bob. I like to hear that.

hindsfeet likes this.
  14. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

Ok, I am preparing my backpack ... I will depart tomorrow.

You know where and when I will be ... and as you know, I am always up for a beer !! :)

15. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Buen Camino Lirsy

16. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

Last minute news

Instead of Calzadilla de los Hermanillos I will go to Calzada del Coto (just 8 km before the previous albergue).

You know .... organizative last minute issues

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  17. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I'm in Fresno and I know how to drink beer too.

18. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

Believe me ... I have already explored the key places around! ;)

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  19. Lirsy

Lirsy Member

Those small miracles in the Camino ;)

Hi!

Yeah ... I know this is not such a big miracle, probably Saint James just delegated in Saint Cucufato (saint for the lost objects)

The issue was as follows:

-Walking a sector of the Camino near the albergue, I lost the mobile of the albergue (later on I discovered that it fell in a dich)
    -Even if in every guide it is indicated that the albergue doesn't accept reservations, a piligrim decided to phone to make one just in the moment that other pilgrim was walking exactly where the phone was.
    -The pilgrim heard the ring, picked the mobile and took it to the next albergue.
    -In the albergue they phone to the latest call received and asked the pilgrim to whom he was trying to phone and he said that to the albergue to make a reservation.
    -Knowing who was the owner of the mobile, they contacted local police and the police brought me my cell phone.

Ok ... Not Saint James .... But as minimum Saint Cucufato!;);)

By the way ... I paste here the prayer to Saint Cucufato. I paste in Spanish, you can use Google translate. It is the most curious prayer I have ever seen!!o_O

"San Cucufato, San Cucufato, con este pañuelo los huevos te ato y hasta que (objeto que queremos encontrar) no aparezca no te los desato"

Note: In the context, eggs is not the most correct translation of huevos. Sorry Google!:oops:

Note 2: The prayer is real!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.