1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Albergue - Locked In For The Night

Discussion in 'Albergues - Hostels' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Mar 28, 2016.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

One of the albergues we stayed in during our Camino was Albergue Los Templarios in Terradillos de los Templarios. This is a fairly new albergue and is in a fairly isolated area. We stayed in a room for four that had a private bath (9 euros each). There is a spacious area off the entry with a bar. There is also an adjacent room and we had a delicious pilgrim's menu that night. The place is run by a family and they were very friendly and helpful. The bedrooms are various sizes along a long hallway. Per our normal routine, we got up at 6 am, used the restroom, packed things in our backpacks. We were ready to start hiking at 6:45 am. Most albergues leave a key in the door, then pilgrims can leave at any time, then leave the door locked behind them. In this case, the hallway door that leads to the bar and to the outside was locked. We realized we were actually locked in. Initially it was annoying to wait until someone came to unlock the door. Then as we began our hike, we discussed the danger this presents to pilgrims. What if there was a fire or catastrophe and we had no way to escape? Maybe there is an emergency escape door - we didn't check. This is the only albergue we stayed at in which we were locked in. We really liked the place, but I'm not sure we'll stay there again if their practice is to lock pilgrims in for the night. Have any other pilgrims stayed there and if so, what was your experience? Bob

YorkieUltraRunner likes this.
  2. clearer_skies

clearer_skies Member

Home Page:
    I stayed there in June 2013 and found the family to be very kind and courteous. It is normal practice for some albergues to lock their doors. Burgos does the same.

3. Gareth Griffith

Gareth Griffith New Member

Given the tales I've read about pilgrims being robbed whilst they slept, even having stuff that was tied round their necks taken, I can see some benefits of having a locked door.