1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Albergues In Madrid

Discussion in 'Albergues - Hostels' started by Bearded Peregrino, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Bearded Peregrino

Bearded Peregrino Unshaven Member

Home Page:
    The plan is to arrive in Madrid come July 2019 and crash for the night before catching a train to Oviedo the next morning.

So, does anybody have experiences or recommendations with albergues/hostels in Madrid? Any help would be most appreciated.

Laurie Ferris and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Bearded Peregrino - Check out The Hat. It’s just off the Plaza Mayor and it gets great reviews. For lodging in a major city, it's pretty inexpensive and may be just what you’re looking for.

http://thehatmadrid.com/

I believe you can reserve a bed directly through them or on Booking.com.

Buen Camino!

Laurie Ferris likes this.
  3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Two years ago I stated at "toc hostal" in Centeral Madrid. It cost 16e per night and had a great location. I was in a room of 8, which was a reasonable number for getting used to others for the days that followed on the CF.

Wily and RJS like this.
  4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I was fortunate enough to have met a Peregrino from Madrid and she kindly arranged my accommodation on the couple of times I stayed there.

I don’t think that there is an official Refugio de Peregrino in Madrid as nothing is mentioned on CSJ’s Camino de Madrid page

However, there is an older forum asking about accommodation in Madrid that you might also find useful :)

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/hostel-in-madrid.49241/

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Ginamarie and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.
  5. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Unklehammy - The Toc Hostel get very good reviews. Glad to hear you had a good experience there. Like any number of other hostels, it’s in the heart of the city and close to everything. Sounds like another good choice for BP.

BP - Madrid in July will be busy. I’d certainly recommend reserving a bed as soon as possible while the cheaper sleeps are still available. For a fuller picture of what is available on your travel dates, just visit Booking.com and use a couple of their filter features such as accomodations under $57/night and location (i.e., Madrid city center or any other location you might prefer). Many of the Booking.com properties allow free cancellation in case you find something better or change your plans. You can do the same thing on Tripadvisor. Regardless of the hostel, the metro system in Madrid is great and it’ll be a quick and easy trip to the train station.

As you mentioned taking the train up to Oviedo, let me also recommend purchasing your ticket in advance so as to same considerable money. Looking at prices over the next couple of months, a last minute ticket could run over €50, whereas a ticket bought a couple months in advance would price out at under €30. This is what I did two years ago traveling from SdC to Madrid. Buying before getting to Spain saved me quite a bit. Unfortunately, you can’t buy tickets yet for July. If you watch the RENFE website, you’ll be able to figure out when they become available, usually a couple months before the departure date.

http://www.renfe.com/

Buen Camino!

UnkleHammy likes this.