1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allergic to wasps and a certain popular meat

Discussion in 'Medical Problems' started by caireen89, Feb 11, 2015.

1. caireen89

caireen89 New Member

I know, I know, just to add to the lovely list of issues I have. Since starting to travel to America in 2011 I uncovered a plethora of things I became allergic to. One of these things was pepperoni and salami :rolleyes: very silly isn't it. Luckily its not at a loss to me because I never actually liked either meats (maybe it was meant to be), and my reaction is only small and an antihistamine will sort it right out.

The other thing, is not so small. I am pretty allergic to wasp stings (bee's too, but not as bad as wasps), the pain is instant, in recent years it has felt like someone has tried to amputate my ankle with only a broken rusty spoon. The other was on the back of my leg where the same pain was imminent and a possible panic attack/ shock settled in (I was never sure if the shaking was due to the sting or due to the fact that I knew what pain was coming). Either way I have never lost consciousness or had breathing issues, which is a bonus! But the pain is real and I have to carry an Epi pen due to my attacks getting worse the more I am stung :( great! The last time I was stung was in New York in July 2013, The camp nurse had to knock me clean out with a strong dose of Benadryl, It is not sold in the same way in the UK, only USA benadryl can literally make people pass out.

I am a little worried about what might happen if I was to get stung. The pain, I could live through if there was somewhere nearby that I could rest and stick a branch in my mouth to bite the crap out of it. If stung in the leg, ankle or foot, its out the game. Its the equivalent of getting extreme cramp and having fire injected into your veins, it will not go away quickly.

I saw a blog about a guy who was stung by a hornet, now I don't think I have been stung by one before, just my luck would allow me to be allergic to them too. How easy is it to call a taxi between towns? anyone got any painkiller ideas? or any proven ingredients to keep wasps away?

Caireen

2. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Cairenn.

buy smidge at cotwolds outdoors trust me this really works..skin so soft does not anymore since the active ingredient was removed..its lovely and stops sand flies. anything that bites or stings....game keepers use it now in Scotland.go online and see for your self......it does not have contain DEET also, safe.

you need to make people aware on camino .mostly your not far from a road.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. highlander

Caireen

BrannockDevice.jpg fitting.jpg earplugs.jpg smidge.jpg when you visit cotswolds outdoors.in this order,and socks and inserts if your need them.....then "smidge" will solve your biting insect problems Guaranteed....DEET free..
    Photos of training in kelvingrove please..I read your blog......too much party.......your one of us now Caireen clan camino......and your from Scotland my land......spiritual home of "Highlander".....

Shering likes this.
  4. bob adams

bob adams New Member

Caireen,
    I too am allergic to wasp stings, particularly the ones inflicted by a nasty little fellow called the yellow jacket. I live in South Carolina at 900 feet of elevation but have also seen them as high as 11,000 feet in California. In late summer through early fall they nest primarily in the ground but can also be found in rotten timber or other materials easy to burrow into. During this time they are very aggressive and attack in swarms. People don't build tolerances to wasp stings. The reverse is the norm. One sting can send me to the hospital if not treated immediately. I have no idea what kind of wasps one might encounter on a camino but my plan is to be very alert in my surroundings, carry two Epi-Pens and an ample supply of Benadryl. In my case the prevention of anaphylaxis shock is the number one goal and then the treatment of severe swelling and itching. Talk with your physician about what your plan of action should be.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  5. highlander

I never encountered any wasps on 10 caminos..not to say they are not there...

Caz & Bob

A GOOD PLAN OF ACTION FOR BOTH OF YOU WOULD BE TO MAKE SURE OTHERS AROUND YOU ARE AWARE...AND WHAT THEY NEED TO DO TO HELP & NOT HINDER.

Take Care both of you.

Shering and Devon Mike like this.
  6. bob adams

bob adams New Member

Thanks highlander. I know there will be others on the trail but expect they will be walking faster and my Spanish is..... shall we say .... very elementary ...as in "Agua, cervasas, comar, el bano, como esta usted;" but I'm studying. Maybe I'll have a small laminated card to hang on my pack and explain (in Spanish, German, French, English, Portugese and Italian) what to do to me if found on trail. Something like "In case of bee sting give me Benadryl followed with copious amounts of Manzanilla."

KatDavis likes this.
  7. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    Getting a taxi is generally easy but depends upon the location of the path you are walking. Most of the time you will be near a main road, but it can be difficult to describe your exact location. And in Spanish of course!:cool: From wherever you will be staying, obtain 'phone numbers of taxis between there and your day's walk destination. Also note that the locals will always be happy to help.:)
    Wasps are mostly a nuisance during the fruit season, i.e. September and October.:eek: