1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Loosing The Plot

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Terry Wilson, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Active Member

Am I trying to see things that are not there.
    As some of you will know I lost my grand daughter just over a year ago and my Camino was for her as well as for me.
    Some thing happened on the track and I am not sure it should have or am I trying to read a connection to my grand daughter in things that happen.
    So to the story.
    I was coming down a narrow path in the middle of nowhere on a bright sunny morning about 9am I was on my own but people had been in front of me and people where no doubt behind me.
    I looked ahead to see a large white bird sitting right in the middle of the path. This bird was the size of a goose but it wasn't.
    I slowed up and almost stopped as I expected a great rush of feathers as it took off as by now I was only about two meters away from it. It just sat there and looked at me as I got closer I thought all hell is going to break loose soon. I had to step around it my feet were only 200mm \8 inchs away from it as I shuffled past it.
    It just sat there and kept cranking its neck around looking at me. Then I walked on.
    Has it happened to any of you?
    How did that bird know I would not harm it?
    How when I got to a cafe half and hour latter and said to other people arriving after me.Did you see that bird ,
    Nobody else saw it???
    I do not know. What do you think? Spiritual or just unusual.

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I think you have to read into it whatever you want to Terry :)

But, before you start thinking too much of angels and reincarnation, I had a similar experience with this vulture

IMGP0063.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG

This was on the much less walked Cami San Juan 2, so probably even less chance compared to The Camino Frances that the wildlife is getting used to then human presence on the Camino Route.

However – it does make a good story

Best Regards

Rob

3. Terry Wilson

That is the bird rob. Well that has shattered the illusion. O well good story. Dam,.,

hindsfeet likes this.
  4. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

What a great experience Terry and Rob! I hope that I see them in April! Years ago I was biking across Florida and I saw a huge white crane in a canal along the road sitting on rock. I thought that it would be a great spot for a lunch break. I sat right next to the canal perhaps only 15 feet from this crane. It was so fascinating because it was trying to spear a fish with its long narrow beak. I watched for almost a full hour until finally the whole fish wiggled itself down the long skinny neck of this bird. It tried to fly, but it was too heavy. I felt like I was on National Geographic. The crane wobbled and fell into the water....seconds later gobbled up by an alligator. Scared me half to death.........

5. Terry Wilson

Hindsy That is not how a lovely story is supposed to end. You dont write children's books do you?:)o_O;)

6. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Well-Known Member

I frankly would be a little nervous if I had vultures following me...I like Terry's original story better! I did have to laugh at Hinds story though!

7. Maya Grandmother

Maya Grandmother Active Member

Hello Terry, I believe that the animal reminded you of her and that alone was a precious moment of love. I lost my husband last year after walking the camino Francés together in 2015 and I believe that his spirit still exists and have encountered moments like you experienced. For me spending time in nature allows me to talk to him. I think that when you saw the bird it brought together a connection, do not get obsessed about it, just enjoy the moment. I would say spiritual but like RJS stated it is what you want it to be. Have a good day, Maya

8. The fattest Arse

The fattest Arse New Member

If it was spiritual to you then it was spiritual indeed. I think that we all get a reminder from time to time and it is good to have that reminder as a spiritual message even though it may or may not be to anyone else.

9. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Haaaaaaaaaaaa! Sorry, circle of life I guess. I think I shall keep most of those adventures sealed! :D

10. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

Or like the crane, we don't know how long we may have so best use the time wisely (while keeping an eye out for alligators)

11. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

That is better than mine. I once had a mama bear chase me, at 19 years of age. I rounded a corner in the trail and she stayed by her 3 cubs which she had chased up a tree. This was in the Marble Mountain wilderness area.

12. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

Dear Terry,
    I really was moved by your account. I think when mystical things happen it´s always possible and even easy to explain it away. And that´s fine. But I think actually that they happen in the way of every day life. I can easily believe that you encountered the spirit of your grand-daughter in the appearance of the large white bird. I have a feeling from what you wrote that you felt that in the moment and that first, unquestioning, innocent impression for me is probably the moment of deepest truth. What an amazing experience.
    Having just finished the Camino, I can tell you that I had a whole series of experiences like that. Of course, they can be explained away as imagination gone wild or whatever, but for me they were profound experience and I choose to understand those experiences as they occurred to me in that moment.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Wishing you all the best. José

13. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Well-Known Member

I believe that every situation has multiple explanations, and it is fine to use which ever you find brings you joy, or comfort, or closure, or whatever. Sometimes that is exactly what is needed.
    As they say, the Camino provides. Sometimes it may provide you a little peaceful moment you can call your own. Take it and cherish it. It doesn't need to be overthought...many of us Camino to try and get away from overthinking.
    Just a "IMHO" moment. What do I know? Lol, I am a broken down grunt. The Camino brought me many moments I choose to call my own!

14. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

Agreed!!!

Greg Canning likes this.
  15. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. My first Camino came along not too long after my mam had passed away and I have definitely carried a piece of her in my heart along the way. On our third day walking from Zubiri to Pamplona we stopped purely by chance at an old Abbey (look up La Abadia on Facebook) which was being restored. We met the lovely couple who are carrying out the restoration and they gave us a wonderful tour. As we were leaving they urged us to make a visit to the Church of San Esteban at Zabaldika. Although it was a bit out of the way we took the detour and boy was it worth it. I had one of the most moving and yet peaceful experiences of my life there (I've described it elsewhere so won't bore people with the details). Anyway the point I'm trying (badly!) to make, is that there are all kinds of coincidences and ways in which the Camino provides. I think we just need to accept them and be thankful that we were lucky to be granted those moments.

Buen Camino

Greg