Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

An Easy Way To Prevent Blisters? Try Tape.

Discussion in 'Medical Problems' started by Wily, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Wily

Wily Camino Francés May 2016

After about eight days in the Camino last year, blisters developed on the balls of my feet and became a painful issue for me to deal with over the next couple weeks. I found that there was no shortage of advice for foot care from my fellow pilgrims many of whom were dealing with the same problem. In the end, my best advice and solution came from one of the Spanish pharmacists that I met along The Way. Paper tape proved to be an effective way to reduce the blister and the discomfort that came with it.

In this morning's New York Times, there's a article regarding the use of paper tape to prevent blisters for long distance runners that I thought you might find interesting. Buen Camino and take care of those feet!

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

2. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Active Member

Wily, thanks for passing along the article. Quite interesting. There are so many suggestions regarding how to prevent blisters, it's hard to know what measures are effective. For example, we read somewhere that we should rub the soles of our feet with isopropyl alcohol every day for a month prior to our camino. We did - I didn't get blisters but my wife did. Some pilgrims suggest putting Vaseline on the soles of feet, but the NYT article said not. We did bring small rolls of grey furnace tape and my wife wrapped a few toes and her ankle and it seemed to work okay. For sure we'll include a few rolls of medical paper tape in our kit for this fall. Thanks again. Bob

3. Wily

Hey Bob - I, too, carried and used Vaseline last year. I now know so much more about foot/blister care than I did when taking those first steps out of SJPP. Of course, it's a multi-faceted issue including boots/shoes, socks, pack weight, and all those things we apply to our feet. It was due to a recommendation on the Forum that I now carry a container of Body Glide as a foot lubricant. Although I paid more for it, it probably will do the same job Vaseline does. Budn Camino!

UnkleHammy likes this.
  4. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Active Member

3M's Nexcare Waterproof tape is excellent to protect areas that you know ahead of time get sore, or to protect an area that you've caught at the first hint of trouble. It's elastic, easy to tear and apply, easy to pull off, and It's about $3.50 U.S. for a roll (and does the same thing as expensive Kinesiotape). I tried using surgical silk tape when training for the first Camino and it ended up a gummy mess with the heat caused by hiking /friction.

I really like New Zealand hiker's wool. It's weightless and you can re-use it if you have to: https://www.hikerswool.co.nz/

A little baggie in the top zippered compartment of backpack worked well both times: needle, about a foot of thread, alcohol prep wipes, tiny lightweight scissors, Nexcare stretch tape, hikers wool, a few basic bandaids and a bit of triple-antibiotic ointment. You could put your Ibuprofen in there too.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  5. Wily

Hey Suzette - Thanks for the tip on the 3M Nexcare tape. I'll look for some the next time I stop into the pharmacy.

For newbies or veterans, your foot care kit rocks! Although I wasn't familiar with hiker's wool until now, I'll definitely include it in "my little zip-top baggie." Thsnks.

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  6. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Active Member

Very happy to be of help! It was useful for between and in front of toes, especially on that day of picking one's way down geological upheavals to El Acebo and Molinaseca. Better to be a goat that day. I should have arranged pack transport because balancing and picking along with a full pack was slow-going. Those with light day packs were fairly dancing down them.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  7. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Active Member

I am a big fan in the morning of rubbing Sport Slik, a product I found as a runner. It is non-greasy, antibacterial, antifungal and doesn't sweat off. Doesn't make a mess of your sock either. I found rubbing it between all the toes, and in those areas that get more wear and tear worked great, and I was happy to finish my Camino with no blisters, and no loss of toenails. I did wear liner socks (the USA company "Wright Socks" get my full support!).
    It is funny how much of the Camino day-to-day chat is about your feet!

Crepes4Suzette, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.