1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Protests In Santiago?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Oct 20, 2019.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Cindi and I spent yesterday afternoon and night in very soggy Samos. We had a pilgrim’s dinner in the bar and the national news was on TV. The only topic being covered was the social unrest in Barcelona.

Question: have there been any protests and/or violence in Santiago? We will arrive Saturday. We’re crossing our fingers that things will settle down this week. We fly from Santiago to Barcelona Monday October 28 then trip from Barcelona back to the US on Oct 29.

Bob

2. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

In Barcelona they are complaining about staying in Spain so I'd avoid it. There does not seem to be a similar problem elswhare in Spain.

3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

U Hammy, no option to avoid Barcelona; we fly there Monday from Santiago, then from Santiago to the USA on Tuesday. I traveled internationally for 25 years during my career. We’ll keep a low profile, ask the locals lots of questions, check with the airlines. Worse case I get our my credit card and we spend a few more nights in Spain. Bob

4. UnkleHammy

The protesters are starting to use "Hong Kong" techniques of blocking the air port. I don't know how successful they will be.

5. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

Be safe Bob. We went through Madrid so we avoided Barcelona thankfully. But we were paying close attention to what was taking place behind us back in 2017 as we were walking west. More than once we were in a bar/restaurant with a TV on and the Spanish were yelling at the TV.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  6. UnkleHammy

Please post a status when you return home.

7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Arrived in Santiago today. Low volume at the Pilgrim’s office. We only waited 15 or 20 minutes to get our Compostela. No signs of any social protest here, si we’ll enjoy today and tomorrow here. Bob

Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  8. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Bob, Congrats on completing another Camino! I’m sure you guys will enjoy your time in Santiago! Friends of mine were in Barcelona last week. Their only complaint was that there were too many tourists there. I’m confident that you be able to enjoy your time in Catalonia as well. Buen Camino!

BROWNCOUNTYBOB likes this.
  9. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Thanks Wily. We’re glad we arrived in Santiago yesterday. Today there was a 510k race in town which really tied up the old city streets and ended in the plaza by the Cathedral. Between the race and arriving pilgrims Santiago was jammed with people everywhere. Nice blue skies and we enjoyed the day and will have a nice dinner tonight.

Hope you are right about Barcelona. The protests and violence are on the news non stop. I’ve been in touch with our hotel and they said we should be fine.

Bob

Canadian Wander, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.