Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Any Suggestions For What To See In Porto And Barcelos?

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Crepes4Suzette, Sep 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

We have one jet lag afternoon/evening and another full day in Porto and have made the following plans: Stop by Sao Bento for onward tickets and to see the beautiful tilework. Stop to see the Cathedral/Se and get an extra credencial. Eat at Cafe Majestic. Visit Livraria Lello - these seem to be in the general area of the historic district where we'll be staying. Then we're going to walk the river and the coast up to Matosinhos and will pass The Anemone, although in the daylight. Any other must-sees that anyone can suggest?

In Barcelos, I'm not sure what to see. We only have 4.5 hours between trains. Also, if anyone could suggest a good place for lunch between the historic district and the train station, it would be most appreciated!

hindsfeet likes this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  3. Crepes4Suzette

RJS likes this.
  4. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey C4S - Although I don't have the name of a particular lunch spot for you, just across from the Sao Bento station is Rua das Flores. This one street is full of eateries including many with outdoor seating. There, you can enjoy sitting in the sunshine eating and drinking surrounded by locals doing the very same thing.

After walking along the Rio Douro up to Matosinhos, if you don't want to take the metro back to the Historical District, take a city bus so you can continue to enjoy the coastal and river beauty. The one going out and ending at the market is the #500 bus. It should be the same coming back in. Bom Caminho!

5. Crepes4Suzette

That sounds wonderful, Wily! Rua das Flores is on the way to the hostel on the river and we'll go to Sao Bento on the way there, so we'll be sure to look for a place to sit in the sunshine with the locals. Everyone says the food is very good, so if anyone has suggestions for what to eat, I'll happily order something recommended.

OK, I'll find the schedule for the #500 bus and maybe we can catch it at the market (I'm assuming that's by the Mercado metro stop). Thank you so much!!

Wily likes this.
  6. Wily

Hey C4s - Two food suggestions that I couldn't get enough of : pulpo and bacalhau. For pulpo, as you might already know from your travels through Galicia, it's great almost anywhere you can get it. But, the salted cod was extraordinary. I had it prepared three different, and equally delicious ways, in Portugal. Anything in the seafood category should be great! Bom apetito!

IMG_2050.JPG IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0500.JPG

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  7. Crepes4Suzette

Wow! What a feast you've sent! I might retry pulpo and will definitely try the salted cod/bacalhau. Thank you!

8. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

9. Wily

Let me second Magwood's recommendation. It is a great bookstore, just usually very crowded! They now charge an entrance fee of about 4€, but that is refunded when you make a purchase of that amount or more. A fun place to browse about and then you can catch a coffee next door. Bom Caminho!

Magwood and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  10. Parksville

Parksville Member

Home Page:
    We just got back from our Camino Frances (where we added on three nights in Porto at the end). I echo the comments that say definitely visit one of the Port Houses. We went to Taylors. 12 euros a person for a self-guided audio tour, which includes free port tasting at the end. No advanced reservations are needed. Just show up, pay and go. If going to the Majestic Cafe, I recommend going first thing in the morning for coffee (and toast if you would like to eat as well). That way you avoid long line ups and over-inflated prices. Toast alone is 5 euros (without the coffee).

Crepes4Suzette, Wily and RJS like this.
  11. Crepes4Suzette

Thanks so much, Magwood! Very punny:0)) It's definitely high on the list.

Magwood likes this.
  12. Crepes4Suzette

Great information! Thank you! We'll hit the Majestic first thing then, and make sure to get Taylor's in as well - good to know we can go without reservations ahead of time.