1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody Else Walking Camino Frances From 15 April 2018?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Belinda, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Belinda

Belinda New Member

Hi
    I'm planning to start out from SJPP on 15th April (staying at the Gite Makila in SJPP on 14 April). Let me know if anyone else is starting out around the same time. I'm walking solo, it would be my first experience of solo walking. (As part of prepping myself, walked the Cleveland Way in Yorkshire with my hubby last August - 10 days of walking, about 13-16 kms per day, and one day rest). I am both excited and a bit nervous about the whole adventure, but am finding a lot of encouragement from the posts in this Camino Forum.

I am worried walking on my own and not being able to cope with negative thoughts, etc. I didn't experience many of those thoughts during the Cleveland Way walk, though, as was too busy walking, enjoying the scenery, taking photos and noticing how beautiful the landscape was, the mushrooms, the livestock, birds... I hope this is also what my experience in the Camino will be.

2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Hi Belinda...You are starting a bit earlier than I am. I am planning on leaving SJPP on April 27th. I am excited and a little nervous as well. I have been reading the GUT BUSTINGLY HARD posts lately, and it is starting to seem a tad bit intimidating. When you say "not being able to cope with negative thoughts", what do you mean?
    That you will find it too daunting, or just because you are walking alone? All of these emotions are part of the journey......boring we are not, right? You will be fine! Adventure....coloring outside the lines....stretching ourselves. What an AMAZING opportunity set before us, to unwind, leave the hustle and bustle of everyday stress behind, and take the time to enjoy every moment. If you start to freak out, or negative thoughts invade your walk, hide out for a few days, I will catch up to you.....a burden shared is half the burden.

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  3. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

If you've done the Cleveland Way you'll have no problem with the Camino as there are less clarts about. The first day over the Napoleon route can be a bit intimidating but it is no different than most Lakeland fells.

And with over 280,000 people doing the walk each year at all times of the year, you are unlikely to be lonely for long.

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  4. Marianna

Marianna New Member

Hi Belinda,

My name is Marianna and I am planning to start at the beginning of April so I should be 2 weeks into the journey before you arrive. This is also my first time and I will be alone so I can relate to your concerns.

I learned about the Camino about a decade ago and my son beat me to it. Now it is finally my turn.

Best regards,
    Marianna

Gerry Vandermaat and hindsfeet like this.
  5. katdel

katdel New Member

Hi Belinda.
    I am starting out from SJPdP on Friday 13th of April (not at all sure that sounds like a great idea now that I see it), also travelling solo. Maybe we will bump into each other some place along the route.
    It will be an amazing adventure for all of us who are jumping in 'feet first', so my only suggestion is that you focus on the exciting possibilities and remember that if, for some reason, it all gets too difficult there are others around you and there is always a way out.
    Have faith in yourself. See you out there.
    Kathy
    P.S. I suspect that you will pass me - so far I have not prepped much at all. To Do list......

6. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    G'day BELINDA,
    My wife and I began our Camino on April 14 2015. You will see some wonderful things and meet many beautiful people. Just let it consume you and enjoy the ride -- but --- go slow.

My blog of our camino can be found here --- https://gerry.edublogs.org -- it might give you a little preview of what id to come.

7. Harland

Harland New Member

I have only recently started to think about a walk for next year and I am still looking at an appropriate date to start although April would be a good time for me. I have walked a number of the longer National Trails in the UK including the South West Coast Path, the Pennine Way twice. From what I have read I believe that the Camino will not be as strenuous on a daily basis as the Cleveland Way but walking for 5 weeks or so, even if you have rest days, will be a "different". Having also walked the Peddars Way in Norfolk I found that walking on relatively flat ground with the path stretching ahead is quite tiring as opposed to undulating ground where you can have a "rest" on the way down if it is not too steep. However the thing I remember when I was about to start my first long distance path a guy said to me when I said that I was concerned about how my feet would stand up - his response was that completion isn't depending on your feet but your head. For someone that enjoys walking alone my concern is that there may be too many people and no navigation skills required! The number of people around I am sure will keep the negative thoughts away. I'll let you know if I decide to start in April and that I can arrange flights etc. - after of course I discuss being away for so long with my wife!

Gerry Vandermaat and hindsfeet like this.
  8. Kernel Philip

Kernel Philip New Member

Hi Belinda,

I just finished the first half of the Camino. It was my first long walk since backpacking days of yore in the Himalayas, and I had the same concern about going alone. Unlike you, I was also worried about whether the knees would still work! (Happily, they did!)

I found the vast majority of pilgrims had embarked on the journey alone, especially those walking the entire Camino. Even doing the walk in "winter", there were dozens of people starting out every day. It is really a perfect situation because you can either walk with one or more pilgrims, or walk on your own, or some combination. Most pilgrims seemed to follow the suggested daily stages, so you can always meet up with folks at the end of the day- or fall in with another group if body, weather, or inclination lead you to stop elsewhere. (In April I believe nearly all the albergues will be open again so the world will be your oyster.)

With the option of a cafe con leche and even the ubiquitous three-course + wine "menu de peregrinos" every few kms (some exceptions!), an indoor bed, and a tepid-to-hot shower every night, it truly is the Appalachian Trail for wimps- which is just what I wanted at this (st)age. I plan to head back to do the last half, perhaps starting in late March to hopefully beat the crowds.

One suggestion: read some Spanish history before you go. That was my biggest regret. You walk through these gorgeous, bucolic landscape paintings into museums, with 15th century churches and cathederals dominating villages and cities. And with the world going by at 3-5 kms an hour, you can see the changes in names, sub-cultures, and cuisine.

Your walks in the UK sound fantastic! Those are on my list. Is there one you would especially recommend?

Buen Camino!
    Phil
    (Kernel Philip)

9. alanhobo

alanhobo Member

Hi Belinda,
    Good luck, you are walking at a beautiful time of year, my favorite, don't worry about negative thoughts, if you don't take them with you, you will not find them on the camino, there will be plenty of people around to keep you company. :)

hindsfeet likes this.