Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Anyone Else With This Strange Experience?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jose, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Jose

Jose Active Member

Greetings to everyone. Love this forum. I have another 3 months almost before I head out in mid September. And I am trying hard to keep my nose to the grind of daily life with some big projects on the table right now. Nevertheless, find myself always wondering off in my mind to the days on the Camino standing before me. And a strange thing is happening. Hard to explain or describe. I will be walking down the street and suddenly I have this overpowering feeling of being there, on the camino. It is so strong I can almost taste it. It's weird but rather fun, too. It bolsters my spirits amazingly. Now I can actually draw on the experience, just go there. And, well, there it is. I do not know northern Spain at all. Maybe just a crazy fantasy. But it's also like a gift. Anyone else experienced this? Or maybe it's just my extremely overactive imagination.
    José

2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Hmmmm.......alright, I confess. You are not alone Jose! I don't let those around me know though. Ha... I am pretty much consumed as well. But this is how I go to sleep each night. I imagine walking thru forests, eating, meandering thru fields, talking to the sheep (not counting them), eating, strolling down cobblestone streets, eating, making new friends, few sips of wine, feeling so free......fun, fun, fun......tending to my feet. OH YEAH!..Buen Camino

3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Before our first camino, I read probably 30 different books about the camino and checked this forum almost daily for 3 years. We felt well informed and prepared for our first camino, but I did spent lots of time thinking about what the experience would be like, since we had never walked 15 miles a day, day after day.

As we now prepare for our second camino, I continue to daydream, but in a different way. Since camino frances will be familiar to us, we're already thinking about what it will be like to walk through and spend time at our favorite towns and country sides. My brother and his wife are joining us for the entire camino, so we'll have fun serving at their tour guides. The camino is now something I think about several times a day.

4. Jose

Jose Active Member

Ah, yes...thanks for sharing this!

5. Jose

Jose Active Member

Thanks, so I am not suddenly losing my mind!

6. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

For me was camino very special experience.. From my first camino in 2014 I'm thinking about camino on daily basis (!) Before camino there wasn't any special dreams, but there was "time before I wanted to go" and "time after wanted (and decided) to go". In "time before.."-i thought that nobody around me walked camino yet. In "time after.."i realized that there was many people(friends, neighbors, etc) on camino, so from that time started my many questions and debates with them. And after every discussion was my desire to walk camino bigger and bigger :)

7. Jose

Jose Active Member

Thanks, danvo, very interesting. Maybe there is really something about the Camino experience that calls at certain people. In a deep way, a way not so easy to explain with the usual rationalization. Seems to be so for me.

James Orrock and danvo like this.
  8. Patt!

Patt! Member

I will be there in mid-September also! Maybe I will see you there. I'm so excited about this adventure...I can't take my mind off the Camino! ☮️

John McEvoy and James Orrock like this.
  9. Jose

Jose Active Member

Thanks, Pat! What day do you plan to leave from St Jean?

10. Patt!

Patt! Member

I should be there on the 16th. And you?

11. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

In contrast, I walk along and am overwhelmed suddenly by a "Really? You are choosing to do This!!!!!???? And completely washed in self doubt!!! Then I get over it. I would like your option much better!!!

James Orrock and NOQ1015 like this.
  12. Jose

Jose Active Member

Willl arrive in St Jean the 15th and plan to leave on the 17th. Will be heading to Orisson only for the first night, figuring I have plenty of KMS ahead to put my self to the test with AND I love the idea of staying the first night up there.

James Orrock and Patt! like this.
  13. Jose

Jose Active Member

Haha...my option is actually kind of wonderful. And keeps me going through a time that is packed with high professional demands and sometimes crazy people

14. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

I will be setting down my first real Camino step from SJPP on Sept 7 and am doing the same as you with my first night in Orisson. There is truly never a day that does not have some thought and preoccupation with the trip and I have read several book accounts of the walks of others..I have been "packing" since I made the first decision in March that I wanted to do it. I am just starting to reserve some of the early points I know I will land in and will wing it once I get a notion of my pace. I got a blog started just for this and keep trying to put in walking practice time. While I am retired, there still does seem to be a lot on our plate, especially with summer family plans...not quite as demanding as still being in a work mode, tho.

The experience will be immense for each of us and the forum sustains us, but it will be so good to set down those first steps in real time. Buen camino and perhaps we will meet up. I am among the slow-walking group!!!!

James Orrock and Patt! like this.
  15. Jose

Jose Active Member

Hi Kim Federici! All sounds familiar to me! My practice time will start after July 8 since I am involved day and night and really 7 days a week with a big project right now. Lucky here because I live in a place where we walk to almost everything at an altitude of almost 7,000 feet on the side of a mountain. So, lots of good cardio work always! Nevertheless will pack up my new Osprey with weight and hit the road as soon as possible to get as much practice as possible, especially with the weight.
    I tend to be a sort of medium fast walker (although I have no intention to hurry), so maybe I will catch up and we can meet. Would be fun!

Kim Federici and James Orrock like this.
  16. Patt!

Patt! Member

Looks like I will be around 2 days behind you...but you never know. Actually, I arrive in SJPP on the 17th, and plan to stay overnight. I may see you as you set out! I will be trying to stay at Orisson as well.

James Orrock likes this.
  17. Jose

Jose Active Member

Sounds like stuff like happens on the Camino!!

18. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    I had the same experiences before my Camino in 2015, and still have them everyday since. The Camino gets in your blood and if you use it well will led you to a wonderful life.

James Orrock and Greg Canning like this.
  19. Jose

Jose Active Member

So I am maybe not crazy! There are other people out there with this experience. Good to hear. Thanks for responding.

20. NOQ1015

NOQ1015 Member

When I am walking I also envision myself on the Camino, surrounded by the beauty I have seen only in pictures. I do get overwhelmed and worry I am not ready physically and those first days very rigorous. I too plan on staying in Orisson. I will be there August 23rd. Should I make the reservation now? Please advise and thank you for sharing your process.

James Orrock and hindsfeet like this.
  21. Jose

Jose Active Member

I understand what you are experiencing! They tell me that it is very necessary to book ahead at Orisson since there are not that many beds. I have already done it. You can do it on line or call them. Not at all too early.

James Orrock likes this.
  22. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey NOQ1015 - Yes, book Orisson NOW! Beds there are very limited, so you'll want to have your reservation well in advance to make sure you get a bed.

http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

As it will only take a couple hours to walk there from SJPP, There's no need to leave too early so you can visit more in the village that morning.

I'd also recommend that you book a bed in Roncesvalles as well. The Colegiata
    no longer has as many beds available as they did a year ago. You can go to their website as well and reserve. With as many pilgrims leaving SJPP as there will be on a typical August day, you're best to have your bed reserved.

http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/

You're correct about the physical demands of the first few days on the Camino as well as the overall 500 miles. Let me encourage you to do everything between now and the time you leave to get yourself in the best physical condition possible by training hard for your walk. Your training now will pay big dividends later! Buen Camino!

Kim Federici and James Orrock like this.
  23. NOQ1015

NOQ1015 Member

I am having difficulty making reservations via email. Any advice?

24. Wily

Hey NOQ1015 - For Orisson, did you submit your request by email off their website? It's my understanding from others that it may take a couple days for them to get back to you. Be patient. I believe everyone gets a response. The same for Roncesvalles. Submit your request via their website and you will be instructed on how to pay for your reservation. Again, from what others on the Forum have said, they've all been successful making reservations. Keep us posted and Buen Camino!

James Orrock likes this.
  25. NOQ1015

NOQ1015 Member

Hi Wily, Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. My emails to Orisson keep getting bounced back to me. Today I will try calling. I submitted a request for Roncesvalles via their website but no instruction on how to make a payment popped up. I'll try again. Be well.

26. Wily

Hey NOQ1015 - On the Roncesvslles website, you must be doing so ething wrong. Try this:

1. Go to the "Reservas" link. http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/reservas.php

2. Click on tne purple circle that saya ¡Haz Tu Reserva Aqui! That will take you to the reservation form.

3. The form is in Spanish, but pretty simple. They give you the options of just a bed or bed and dinner (cena) or breakfast as well. The pilgrim's dinner is quite good, but if you want to attend mass, choose the later dinner seating st 20:30. Skip the breakfast and just eat at a cafe/bar two miles down the road in Burguete.

4. The last step of the form asks for your credit card information. As I filled out the form just last night, except the payment lart, I know it is working. Give it a try again. Buen Camino!

James Orrock likes this.
  27. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Kim, this will be the second camino for my wife and me. My brother and his wife are joining us for the full camino - their first. We leave St Jean Sept 8th and will walk to Roncesvalles. My wife and I will take the Valcarlos route and most likely my brother and his wife will take the Napoleon route. So that means with your first night in Orisson, we will arrive in Roncesvalles the same day as you. I'll look for you from your CF photo. Bob

James Orrock likes this.
  28. NOQ1015

NOQ1015 Member

Hello Wily, Thank you for this detailed response. I have followed all the steps several times (there is an option for English too). After entering my credit card information a big "X" appears. My credit card (Visa international card) knows I am making these charges as does my Mastercard. My only thought? Perhaps there are no beds left on August 28th. Will keep trying. I keep saying "The Camino provides". Thank you for your help!

29. NOQ1015

NOQ1015 Member

Thank you Wily! I was contacted by the albergue in Orisson and given another method of payment - PayPal:) all is well:) The Camino provides. Trust is a less to be learned.

30. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Member

Hi Jose
    Believe me you're not alone, I walked it in August/September 2015 and my life has been consumed since then. When I returned to England I knew I had to walk it again. I planned to walk it in 2016 but an injury to my knee in training prevented me from doing it, but this year there I've taken my training nice and steady, now I'm counting down the days. I fly out on the 24th July and start the next day. I look at my photos every day and read my daily journal which I recorded every day last time in 2015.
    I have a nervous energy every day and often find myself drifting off to the days walking through the woods or the beautiful countryside. I never tire reminiscing of the excitement I experienced especially walking into Santiago and even more excited knowing this time I'll be arriving on the day of my birthday. Buen Camino. Keith, Norfolk