Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Anyone Just Keep Walking

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by LLCoolDave, Aug 16, 2017.

1. LLCoolDave

LLCoolDave New Member

Hi everyone and a big thanks to all the posters here. I've learned a lot. I'm leaving for my Camino in a week and I'm walking the French way. I've got the time and money and I'm considering walking to Lisbon so basically walking the Portuguese route in reverse. I'm also a sailor and around November boats start the Atlantic crossing towards the Caribbean so I might be able to get a ride instead of paying for a flight. I've sailed across the Atlantic before.

Also whats the average time for walking the full Portuguese way?

What obstacles will I encounter with this plan? Warmer clothing for Oct/Nov? Burnout?
    Thanks for any feedback,

Dave

2. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

Keep us updated on your progress. Sounds a great idea to "walk" to the Caribbean.

Greg Canning and hindsfeet like this.
  3. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Dave - How exciting! You're a real adventurer! Crossing the Atlantic by boat! Nice!

Simply going by the Brierley guide as a reference point, the entire CP will take you about 24 days of walking. We walked the Porto to Santiago section in 11 days (a day more than his recommendation) because of a stop at Casa de Fernanda's that we wanted to include. The northern half is easy walking, but the cobblestones in Portugal are tough for some. Although it may not always be easy to catch the yellow arrows and scallop shell markers going in reverse, you have the advantage of being able to follow the blue arrows marking the pilgrimage to Fatima. There didn't seem to be any scarcity of them so finding your way shouldn't be too difficult. I think you'll find weather gets warmer as you head south even in late fall. We walked in late March to quite warm temperatures in Portugal. Regarding burnout, take rest days on both the CF and the CP. It sounds like you have plenty of time so don't push your pace. Go fast enough to get there, but slow enough to see. Buen Camino!

4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Dave and welcome to the forum

I ran into a chap when I walked The Camino Frances, I think his name was Jose Garcia and I met him in Fromista – Some considerable time before I met him he had been fishing in a small open boat quite a distance from the shore somewhere off the north of Spain and a storm had blown up, sank his boat and against all odds, he had managed to swim ashore – So to Thank God for his survival, he walked The Camino Norte to Santiago de Compostela, when he reached Santiago, he didn’t think he had offered sufficient thanks so continued walking to Rome and had an audience with the Pope, from there he walked across the alps, through Poland and into Scandinavia, then back through Denmark into Germany, France and eventually to Fromista on The Camino Frances where I met him – What a Guy and a Legend in his own lifetime – But I haven’t come across much about him on the net – Has anyone else come across him, or even heard about him.

With your idea of walking the Camino Portuguese in reverse, I walked one day of The Camino Frances in reverse after walking The Camino Aragones to where it joins the Frances, and then I tried to backtrack to Pamplona and even though I had walked the route in the normal direction only a few years earlier, I got hopelessly lost in the outskirts of Pamplona – The trouble is that the arrows tend to be painted on things like lampposts and signs and can only be seen from the normal direction of travel – And you only have to miss one .........

Have you considered adding Finisterra and Muxia after you have reached Santiago de Compostela ?? – Also there is the relatively short Camino Ingles that you can easily get to the starting point from Santiago de Compostela

Anyway – Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

5. LLCoolDave

LLCoolDave New Member

Thanks for the responses so a far. Good encouragement and I didn't know about the Fatima pilgrimage. More research to be done!

RJS likes this.
  6. LLCoolDave

LLCoolDave New Member

I got a sailing offer this morning for the end of November. Leaving from Madeira. I'll be sure to walk slow. lol I'll definitely add Finisterra and Muxia to the list.

Thanks again.