1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attention All 'live' Camino Bloggers - How Do You Do It?

Discussion in 'Live from the Camino' started by Parksville, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Parksville

Parksville Member

Home Page:
    Hi, All -

We just finished our 700+ km trek from Najera to Finisterre for my husband's 70th birthday. (We walked from St. Jean to Najera last year).
    Suggestions and advice from this forum were invaluable in making this trek successful for us.
    What was more difficult for me than the walking, was attempting to blog directly from the trail (using only my iPhone). Seriously, I have no idea how other bloggers do this. I stand in awe of those who have completed very long, meaningful posts (with stunning photography) live from the trail.
    Below are the links to my 'miniblogs' (or 'postcards') from the Camino. I hope that they can be helpful to others as well.

Warmly, Donna

https://www.retirementreflections.com/post-cards-camino-trail-2017-week-one/
    https://www.retirementreflections.com/post-cards-camino-trail-2017-week-two/
    https://www.retirementreflections.com/post-cards-camino-trail-2017-week-three/
    https://www.retirementreflections.com/postcards-camino-trail-2017-week-four/
    https://www.retirementreflections.com/camino-trail-2017-reaching-santiago-heading-muxia-finisterre/
    https://www.retirementreflections.com/end-camino-experience-arriving-finisterre/
    https://www.retirementreflections.com/and-were-back-home-that-is/

Maru, hindsfeet, UnkleHammy and 2 others like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Donna -Great blogs! I look forward to checking out a couple I haven't yet seen.

You're absolutely correct about the difficulties of blogging from the road particularly from a phone. I've found it easier from an iPad, but still not without it's difficulties. As wifi connection is almost always available, I looked at blogging as simply an electronic form of journaling. Although it was shared with others, particularly photos, it also served as my set of recollections of the trip. But, I'd much prefer to do more detailed writing once home and when I don't feel as pressed to complete an entry. However, with that said, I liked the way you divided up your blog by weeks. As you well know, some days you have more energy or time to write than others. Your weekly format will be one that I keep in mind for the future. Nice work. Buen Camino!

Maru and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Donna

I would like to thank you for posting the links to your blog of the second section of your Camino Frances – I have just looked at the first one so far and the information it contains will be invaluable for pilgrims following in your footsteps :)

Up to date information isn’t always easy to find and things can quickly change, so blogs like your own are very useful.

I also agree with you about trying to blog live from the trail – I tried to do this on my last Big Camino where I started from my home in Cumbria UK and walked to Santiago – The UK sections weren’t so bad to keep up to date as I had a support vehicle, so had a laptop in that, then when I started walking the Spanish section from Santander, I as carrying a tablet which apart from adding a lot of weight to my rucksack, finding time and a reliable internet connection wasn’t always easy – So when I used the rucksack to push against when standing up after a break one day and broke the netbook, the live blogging stopped, but the rucksack did get lighter :)

Best Regards

Rob

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  4. Parksville

Parksville Member

Home Page:
    Hi, Wily - Thank you for your continued, and supportive comments. We regularly found 'wi-fi', but finding 'reliable wi-fi' that was consistent, and strong enough to open my blog, and to download photos, was very rare for us. Last year, on our eight-day Camino trek, I handscribbled some written notes, and blogged when I got home. This year, with our 44 day trip, I feared that I would never remember some details that I really wanted to share, or the thoughts/emotions that I had gone through each day. In the end, blogging was definitely worth it, despite the frustrations. As you say, it is a great memory of our trip, and a wonderful way to share with others.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  5. Parksville

Parksville Member

Home Page:
    Hi, Rob - Thank you for your kind comments. That must have been such a frustrating experience breaking your tablet part way through. In reviewing my posts, my husband and I have already found that they do contain some finer details that we would likely have forgotten, or would have remembered differently. The Camino Forum has been very helpful to us, so we are very happy to share updated information.

RJS likes this.
  6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:

To be Honest, once I got over the initial upset of discovering that I had cracked the tablet screen and that the “Touch-Screen” function no longer worked, therefore rendering it useless, so I threw it in the bin along with the heavy charger, so I managed to shed well over 1kg making my pack much more manageable.

Also, I was able to send a friend in Cumbria daily photos via my trek-mates phone and she keep the blog updated which no doubt helped the thousands of pounds that we raised for cancer research to keep flooding in

“Things happen for a Reason” :)

But your blog is wonderful and as I already mentioned, I am sure that it will be of Huge help to many pilgrims following in your footsteps over the coming years

Best Regards

Rob

7. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Thanks, Donna! It's always fun to go on Camino vicariously. I'd not stayed in several of the places you stayed, and am glad for the information about the towns and lodging. The information about the Santiago-Muxia-Finisterre part was invaluable. We're flying in to Porto this time and appreciate the pre-view of the city as well! Glad you're home again after another good Camino.

RJS likes this.
  8. Parksville

Parksville Member

Home Page:
    Thanks, Suzette - I am so happy that you found my posts useful. We LOVED Muxia and Finisterre and are very glad that we included them on our trek. I am glad to hear that you will be flying in through Porto. Porto is a truly amazing city with so much to offer. It is definitely worth a visit for as many days as you can spare!

James Orrock, RJS and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  9. Parksville

Parksville Member

Home Page:
    I love your positive attitude, Rob. I agree that things do happen for a reason. Although my original pack was light (12 lbs), whenever I 'accidentally' left anything behind (spare phone charger, lush shampoo/soap bar and tin, blow up pillow.....), I was always happy with having my pack be as small and light as possible!

James Orrock and RJS like this.
  10. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Parksville, during our last camino, two years ago, my wife and I went on "survival mode" regarding communications. She uploaded photos to Facebook daily and I used wifi to send a daily summary of our camino to a group list of family and friends. That was it. I would have liked to maintain ongoing contact with the camino forum, but the wifi was spotty and I did not have the interest and energy after a long day's walk. A by-product of not maintaining contact with camino forum was the wealth of treads to read after the camino and jumping back in to share our experience.

We fly out of Indy tomorrow and arrive in Madrid Tuesday - my wife, brother, his wife and me. One night each in Madrid, Pamplona and St Jean and then we begin our camino on Friday, 8 Sept. The weather looks terrific for our first hiking day. So I once again will take my "camino leave of absence" and look forward to rejoining my camino forum community when we get back to Indy Oct 18.

Buen Camino ! ! Bob

11. Parksville

Parksville Member

Home Page:
    Thanks, Bob - You are right that the Camino definitely poses a technical, as well as mental 'bandwidth' challenge. Your 'survival mode' of communication sounds wise. For me, I did it the opposite way around. Viz. I published my blog once a week, but otherwise did not post on Facebook or compose emails. My mother still may not forgive me for that, as she missed the regular email communication!

12. Unie

Unie New Member

I throughly enjoyed your blog and thank you for it. My CF journey begins in May 2019...well actually it begins now with reading and preparing! I'm doing it in my 60th year. My son and his wife are currently nearing Finisterre after a few weeks of CF journeying. Love &a peace to you and Richard.

Greg Canning and UnkleHammy like this.
  13. Parksville

Parksville Member

Home Page:
    Hi, Unie - Thank you for reading my blog posts on The Camino Frances. I am glad that you enjoyed them. Congratulations on your upcoming 60th birthday. I agree that celebrating your birthday on the Camino Trail with your son and his wife sounds perfect. Please keep us posted!

Unie and RJS like this.