Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Aug/september Sleeping Bag Vs Liner (what Liner???)

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by WilliamCruz, Jul 26, 2016.

?

For aug/sep 2016 will you use sleeping bag or liner?

1. Sleeping bag

40.7%
  2. Liner

59.3%
  1. WilliamCruz

WilliamCruz New Member

I know this has already been layed out a lot over the forums... And it seems a bit split.. Figured I would start a new one that would include what specific liner or sleeping bag you're using...for these particular two months. I'm leaning towards liners but everyone is making such good arguments either way... And are there different types of liners?

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi William

Like you said, the question of whether to take a sleeping-bag or just a liner when Camino walking is often debated and, Personally, I come down on the side of taking a sleeping-bag, but this is mainly because I tend to be walking my own Camino’s on a reasonably tight budget, so, although most Refugio’s now usually do supply blankets, most also offer an overflow facility which can just be floor space (No mattress or blankets), so in instances like this, if you haven’t the energy to walk or budget to hop in a taxi to the next available accommodation, a sleeping bag can be worth its weight in gold.

So – Although there are many nights that you won’t use a sleeping bag if you do decide to carry one, in my opinion, they can still come in very handy when needed and do open up extra possibilities for emergency sleeping, so therefore my own advice is to pack an ultra-light sleeping bag when you walk Camino’s

As for which brand / rating to take, I just took a lightweight sleeping bag similar to and the same brand as http://www.gapyeartravelstore.com/snugpak-1-season-travelpak-sleeping-bag.html - You might start to encounter a few chilly nights in September but if this happens then most nights you should be able supplement an ultra light sleeping bag with Refugio blankets, so you can still save quite a bit of weight and keep nice and warm at the same time :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino
    Rob

3. Emm

Emm New Member

I used a silk liner through Sept & into Oct. Done Camino twice & going again this Fall - with same silk liner! Loved it - weighs nothing and worked fine for me.

4. Emm

Emm New Member

Should add I slept in Albergues n0t out....

5. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey William - Let me pretty much ditto what Rob had to say about a sleeping bag over just a liner. I, too, would err on the conservative side by taking a very light bag.

Regarding bags, since you asked about specifics, I carried a 1-season, 1-pound Swedish sleeping bag made by Fjallraven. You may find others equally light, but you certainly won't need anything heavier at that time of year.

Buen Camino!

WilliamCruz likes this.
  6. WilliamCruz

WilliamCruz New Member

Thanks everyone thats super helpful.... Realized there are ton of other threads on this as well! So Thanks for taking time to answer me!!!

Leaving in less then two weeks!!!! #stoked.

7. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

Hi Emm, did you ever have a cold night? I am going to be doing same months on my camino and so am very interested in your response as I don't want to lug a sleeping bag with me if you didn't really need one. I am menopausal (so tend to run on the warm side of life now) and even in winter here in Australia tend to not want a doona or blanket on me but I don't know about European weather and how it compares to our own climate.

8. Tina-Marie Brownie

William, will you blog on here or on facebook about your camino? I love reading peoples blogs. ;)

WilliamCruz likes this.
  9. WilliamCruz

WilliamCruz New Member

I might try to post a few things here! But mostly I use my Instagram account for all my doings since I'm a photographer! Check it out... I leave a week from today!!!

www.instagram.com/williamcarnahan

Tina-Marie Brownie likes this.
  10. Tina-Marie Brownie

How exciting for you William - I will definitely be keeping an eye out. Unfortunately I don't have an instagram account - might be time to open one ;)

11. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Instagram is free.

Terry Wilson likes this.
  12. clearer_skies

clearer_skies Member

Home Page:
    Liner for me.
    I have just finished walking the Camino Finisterre and with temps in the 30s in Spain now, a liner is all I could handle! :)