1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aus To St Jean

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by Festiva1995, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Festiva1995

Festiva1995 New Member

Hi all
    Is there anyone from Australia that has recently travelled to st Jean to start their Camino? If so, what flights and travel options did you find the best? Also getting from Santiago back to Aus.
    Cheers
    Bob

Tina-Marie Brownie likes this.
  2. Tracor

Tracor New Member

Hi Bob. Im leaving Australia on the 28th August ( 3 weeks time) Melb-Paris then train to Bayonne -> SJPDP. Returning Santiago to Lisbon Portugual -Melbourne
    Hope it all works out ok.
    All the best with your planning as thats half the fun! cheers Tracy

Festiva1995 likes this.
  3. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    GdayBob,
    We travelled Sydney to Madrid by plane.
    Train from Madrid to Biarritz. Bus to Bayonne then bus (I think the train might be running now) to StJPdP. But if you haven't been to Paris catch the train from Paris to Bayonne then change to StJPdP.

Going home we flew Santiago to Barcelona - but I think planes go almost anywhere from Santiago- or you train or bus.

Buen Camino,
    Gerry:)

Festiva1995 likes this.
  4. anniem

anniem Active Member

Bob, I am from NZ and walked Camino last year. I flew to London then Eurostar to Paris and train from Montparnasse station (Paris) to Bayonne and the local train to SJPDP. Worked well for me but then I wanted to go to London. On the return I went Vuerling (Spanish low cost airline) Santiago to London. Useful tip: If you choose the train Paris to Bayonne book it asap before you go. Price varies from 45 Euro to 120 Euro depending on how far in advance you book

Festiva1995 likes this.
  5. SallyT

SallyT New Member

Hi Bob I am flying Coffs-Sydney- Paris rtn Qantas Emirates $1500. If you can find a flight that lands at CDG airport around 7 or 8 am, you can catch a train to Bayonne direct from the airport at 10.15am. I don't land till 9.30 am so have booked a TGV train using Captain Train app from Montparnassse train station at 12.25. I am doing the train by choice to see the French countryside.
    I allowed 37 days to walk as I want to go to Finisterre if I can. I got Iberia Air via Madrid back to Paris from Santiago for about 100E on a Monday.If I had booked Sunday it would have been 40E. 3 nights in Paris to do some cycling tours. Then back to work :( Hope this helps.

Festiva1995 likes this.
  6. Festiva1995

Festiva1995 New Member

Wow. Thank you so much for all the fantastic information.
    Cheers
    Bob

7. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Bob, I also would check the airlines to Biarritz as the cost is the same as a train and instead of 5 hours on a train it is only about an hour - I will be coming from Brisbane and have been told by many other aussies that you will need to give yourself a day or two to get over your jetlag to begin the trip. From Biarritz it is a bus ride to Bayonne and a taxi (shared) or a short train trip up the mountain to SJPD :) Hope that gives you another option to consider :) Buen Camino