1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avoiding diarrhea.

Discussion in 'Medical Problems' started by Another Walker, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Another Walker

Another Walker Member

Hello. Very often a change of environment can cause diarrhea,especially when this change is going from a colder country to a warmer one. The problem is cause by an imbalance of intestinal flora. The intestine is subjected to an increased amount of bacteria that may not be present in the home environment,hence the imbalance. Two extremely safe ways of preparing or countering this is by the consumption of probiotic substances. Many high tech probiotics should be stored at a certain temperature marked on the container,most often they are not stored at the correct temperature and consequently the product is compromised (dead) and is usually ineffective.
    The two products that i have relied on for the past 38 years of extensive travel are Natural yoghurt and root ginger.
    It is not nessecary to use both, one or the other will do,but root ginger is easier to carry in a backpack.
    If using ginger,take a piece the size of a cherry and either crush it between two stones or other hard surfaces,put it in a cup and pour boiling water on it (most cafes in Spain or Portugal will do this for you ) add honey for energy boost or just to sweeten.
    Natural yoghurt should contain some type of live culture,such as bifidus of some other lacto bacillus.
    Makeing this a part of daily routine a couple of weeks before the camino and during can be very helpful. Of course these are not medicnes ,so be vigil and if unwellness continues see a doctor.:)

2. BoxOfFrogs

BoxOfFrogs Member

A couple of doctors I met that frequently do charity work in third world countries swore by the mantra " a coke a day keeps the trots away" yup, they suggested that a can of regular full sugar coca cola with its acidic properties can help keep your gut healthy and active. How true this is, I have no idea. Yet, it certainly seemed to work, it may of been purely a placebo effect but I will continue to adopt this strategy on future walks. ( a double shot of vodka, is apparently optional)

I like the idea of ginger, it's a very stomach settling substance as it is, and ginger tea is really quite delicious.

Thanks for for your suggestions! Getting ill whilst travelling is awful. On the camino it's a mini disaster! I have spent one night sick on the camino and thankfully it was in a xunta albergue in Galicia where a separate 'disabled come family ' room was available. So I got a room to my self and plenty of sleep. I certainly was grateful for the kind help I received.

3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Yes, I remember when my son was young the doc suggesting this, not coke but another fizzy drink. It does work.

i had problems once with the trots, water... San Bol. Very cute but no toilet, showers or running water. And one of the guide books used to say that if you soaked your feet in the water at San Bol you would make it all the way to Santiago. The Spanish laughed at that one.

but I did all the superstitious stuff, burn something at Finisterra, swim naked in the sea, there was another, these things always come in threes, but I can't remember it.

4. dalebob

dalebob Member

Hi not the most pleasant topic but for those who want to embark on long distance walk for the first time perhaps an important consideration? The Camino was my first long hike after years of inactivity I only got this problem once descending into Molinaseca from La Cruz de Ferro. I got what I call the gripes and then the gurgles in the guts then you know you have to go quick or else brown pants!! First time I made into a field with my two raps of toilet paper and dug a hole to cover the event. Onwards and ok until a greater second occurrence that could not be stopped by normal controlled peristalsis and sorry pants down asap no cover possible on narrow trail looking embarrassed and full of self pity and very vulnerable to criticism from fellow pilgrims plus no paper ? A group of very young American students passed in my desperate state and looked away and the last one handed me a lots of paper towels and said "put them in this bag and take this into town to dispose of it and don't forget to wash your hands in the water!!
    This was one of my low points of the walk but now looking back it was a point of comradeship and the assistance I needed to get through a bad day
    The point is if you can avoid getting to this position and if you can take the advise it may help and be aware nature calls even when you don't want it? Carry paper and take it onwards after you have use it please.
    It could be you smelling not to good? Like I did!
    Take care Bueno Camino dalebob

5. Another Walker

Another Walker Member

Always good to bury anything left in a heap too ("The deposit"):)