1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back In Santiago!can´t Stay Away!

Discussion in 'Live from the Camino' started by hindsfeet, Jun 2, 2018.

1. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Wow....quite the adventure! I left St. Jean on April 27th. Arrived in Santiago on May 27th. I didn´t think that I would get there so quickly. (Didn´t seem quick when I was walking it!) AWESOME! Took several alternative routes which was fun. Stayed in Santiago for two nights, then started walking to Muxia. I know, most pilgrims go to Fisterra first. Ha, of course I want to take the road less travelled. It proved to be wonderful, seeing the cluster of colored buildings of Muxia and the Atlantic just coming out of the woods. Stayed one night at the Albergue Bella Muxia. Great place. Then left for Fisterra in the early morning. Ate at a great little ´hippie´ place, as they called it. Yum, rice and curry veggies. A welcomed change! I think that I am bocadilla´d out! Maybe not, that sounds kind of good right now! Ha!
    Well, I am back in Santiago. Crazy busy here. Music everywhere. New pilgrims walking in. Great fun! Said goodbye this morning to some of my Camino family. THEY have to go home. I am thinking about doing the Camino Ingles. I have six days until I have to be back in Santiago. I better do a little research, not sure how long it should take............I will WALK somewhere. All of my Camino aches and pains are gone, so I guess I should keep walking! So happy that they have this computer where I am staying for two nights. Oh, yes....I am NOT feeling quite like a pilgrim right now, I am staying at the Hotel San Francisco. One minute from the square. The reason being, I got here last night at 6:00pm. Every single albergue was completo and most of the hotels as well. I thought that I was going to have to sleep in the park! Then, voila! Hotel San Francisco saved the day. Life is very good! Life is still good on a top bunk with a man on the bottom bunk who snores like a wounded lion also. HAAAAAAAAAAA! I think I have seen and heard it all!!!!!!!!!! :D

2. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

And now, probably to your great surprise, you are a PROFESSIONAL walker and will search for more places to walk for a long time to come. Congratulations you are now and forever more, one of us.

3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Hindsfeet - Well done! Sounds like you’ve had a GREAT Camino. I’m not surprised to hear how busy Santiago is. It’s been that way everytime I’ve been there.

If you have 6 days, you can easily walk the Inglés based on the pace you did the Francés. It’s an easy bus ride up to Ferrol where you’d start. Another option would be to travel down to Tui and walk that section of the Portugués up to Santiago. Both are excellent walks. So, safe travels while still in Spain before you head up to Paris. Buen Camino!

4. hindsfeet

Thanks Wily....can I just show up at the bus station and wait for a bus to Ferrol? This is a last minute decision and it is already 8:00pm here. I want to leave the palace I have been staying at in the morning. Or I guess I could wait one more day if I need to plan more.

Arnie823 and Wily like this.
  5. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Well done Hinds! Happy for your cool adventure. Now you have the bug, maybe my wife and I will see you on the trail someday. Portugal in Sept. For us! Can't wait.

6. Wily

Hey Hindsfeet - No reservation necessary for the bus to Ferrol! I believe it was Monbus that got us there in about 1h40m. A easy, pleasant ride. The station is located right in the heart of Ferrol. A number of buses go there daily. No need to get up there too early, but early enough to enjoy looking around town. We found one of our favorite Camino Inglés restaurants in Ferrol. If you get a chance, check out O’Galo for seafood. Buen Camino!

7. hindsfeet

Alright! On my Way! Thank you!

8. hindsfeet

Thanks CW! Making every moment count!

Arnie823 and Greg Canning like this.
  9. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Making every moment count! Well it sure seems like you are:)

Well done you. It looks like you've really got the walking bug. The enthusiasm is infectious. Enjoy every step.

Buen Camino

Greg

Arnie823, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  10. hindsfeet

Ha....thanks Greg, but I don´t think I am the wisest of Pilgrims. You know that I didn´t take my phone, right? Most of the time I wasn´t sure what day it was. Well, on Sunday (I thought), I took the bus to Ferrol, was going to start walking in the morning. That next afternoon when I arrived in Mino at the Albergue a German lady said that it was Wednesday. Huh? I asked the gentleman behind the desk if today was Wednesday, and he said "SI!". Yikes….If it was Wednesday, I need to get back to Santiago on Friday. That means a 3 day Camino Ingles. It was a steady downpour all day. Clickitty Clack...Clickitty Clack… Yes....I walked like it was a race. I felt that I had to, and I wasn´t going to take a bus. Arrive in Santiago on Friday.....EXHAUSTED. I found an albergue (The Last Stamp). One bed left...a doublé private. "I WILL TAKE IT!". I said it is so busy on Fridays here! She said "TODAY IS WEDNESDAY!" ha...……! I am going to work on my Spanish,.because somewhere there was a language communication problem. I am on my way to get an ice cream…..:D

11. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

OMG Hindsfeet

That's hilarious!!! You're beginning to sound like the Duracell Bunny :) and also a very wise peregrina, leaving your phone at home. I haven't had the courage to do that yet but I do switch it off for large parts of my day on the Camino.

Enjoy every last minute of the rest of your trip.

Buen Camino

Greg

12. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

It’s great hearing from you Hindsfoot!! What an amazing experience you have had. Remember many, many months ago the interminable wait! And now you have waded through all those days, sights, pains, all those experiences and bouncing back for more! Wish I could be in Santiago to give you a big hug, but not until end of August. Big congratulations, peregrina!!

13. Arnie823

Arnie823 New Member

Very adventurous trip Hindsfeet! I hope mine is as adventurous as yours!

14. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

Well done! You have now crossed over to the other side, an experienced pilgrim who can help those seeking to do the Camino and looking for information and advice. It is a mental change indeed. Congratulations!

15. Wily

Hey Hindsfeet - What a great story about the days of the week! Nonetheless, in addition to walking (or racing) an amazing three day Camino Inglés, you will now probably never again confuse miércoles with viernes. A wonderful Camino story to tell others. I, too, stayed at The Last Stamp on my first trip to Santiago. Nice, modern albergue with very helpful staff. Would stay there again any time. It sounds like it’s almost time to head to Paris. Well done on your Caminos peregrina! Enjoy the City of Lights! Buen Camino!

hindsfeet likes this.