Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Back Packs

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Terry Wilson, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Dominique - Nice, lightweight kit! You've mastered the art of minimalism that more of us can take a lesson from. Although I'm not a fan of umbrellas, I found that a poncho, hat, and light waterproof jacket does the trick. I've also added a buff to my kit as well. Comes in handy in so many different situations. You've done a great job of packing light! Well done!

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  2. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    You sound like you could have been a very dangerous pilgrim. Glad those army days are over.

Tina-Marie Brownie and Wily like this.
  3. Dominique

Dominique Member

Thank you for such a nice comment, Wily :)
    I have to own up: my packing light was born out of fear! I was no walker, had never carried a rucksack so I was really scared of not being able to do it, day after day....
    Of course, having managed a first camino with the bare minimum, I then realised that you don't need any more stuff .
    Btw, I decided on the umbrella because I was walking the VdlP in June/July, I felt I might need some shade more than rain cover and ...I certainly did!
    I have also done a pilgrimage in Winter (not the Camino) and like you, I chose a light windproof jacket as well as the poncho, no umbrella! I just added merino leggings and a merino jumper. I also bought myself some wooly gloves on the way...

Buen camino wherever you're heading next time :)

Gerry Vandermaat, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  4. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Dominique - What a good point you make about, "having managed a first camino with the bare minimum, I then realised that you don't need any more stuff." I, too, came to that realization pretty quickly (before Pamplona as I remember). But, for folks who haven't done a long distance walk, it's a hard concept to grasp. Really, you don't need much, so why carry extra stuff!

My wife and I leave for Portugal in about five weeks. Her pack will be considerably lighter than the one I brought on my first Camino. Although I don't think we'll hit 5 kgs, we do intend to stay between 6-7. To walk far, carry less. Buen Camino!

Gerry Vandermaat and UnkleHammy like this.
  5. Ashna Maharaj

Ashna Maharaj Ashna Maharaj

There's no changes being made now Ticket is bought Waiting shengen visa Three weeks to fly ✈️ Gonna make the best of my Camino

Gerry Vandermaat and danvo like this.
  6. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

7. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

Haha Gerry at least my PMT days are over haha

8. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

Ashna, I have quoted a couple of lists for lighter packs Camino Bound 2017 on Facebook page if that helps :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/1509280222714581/

9. Donna

Donna Member

I will walk end of August for 11 days with my sister and this looks like a great list.

10. Dominique

Dominique Member

Buen camino Wily, to you and your wife!

11. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Appreciate all the info and experiences about backpacks. Going to REI this weekend just to
    check out what they have to offer. I want to see and try them on in person. Might then do
    some internet searching. I just read a statistic that for EVERY POUND THAT YOU ARE
    OVERWEIGHT IT IS LIKE FIVE POUNDS PRESSURE ON YOUR KNEE JOINT WHEN
    GOING UP OR DOWN HILL OR STAIRS. Well, I want to be mean and lean when I arrive
    so that my enjoyment of the Camino is not thwarted because I was not prepared or that I
    didn't care enough about that part of the planning! I have a bit of work to do...whittle,
    whittle, whittle............ :-D

UnkleHammy, Gerry Vandermaat and Wily like this.