1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backpack Review After The Camino

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by Laurie Ferris, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris Laurie Ferris

Home Page:
    I carried an Osprey Sirrus 24 backpack, in which everything fit fine, and there was still a little room to spare. It was only at the end of my Camino that I wished it had more capacity. On my return trip to Lisbon, where I was to catch my flight home, I had to carry the souvenirs I bought in Santiago in a separate bag. Yes, I know. I’m eating my words from my previous review about the said backpack being large enough. And while for the most part it was perfect for my short one-week Camino, it would have been nice to be able to fit those extra items in it.

[​IMG]

Read more:
    https://thecaminoprovides.com/2016/07/16/backpack-review-after-the-camino/

RJS likes this.
  2. Sharonn

Sharonn African pilgrim

Hi Laurie
    I agree, perhaps a bit small, but well done for travelling so light! I walked for 5 weeks last year using a more-than-adequate Osprey Sirrus 36. Very comfortable, adapted for women , useful side belt pockets etc.
    Regards
    Sharonn

Laurie Ferris likes this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

I hiked with the Swedish Fjallraven Friluft 35L pack. Although it was comfortable and did the job, I didn't like the top loading feature of the pack. I also think I could easily downsized like Laurie did and be just fine with a 24L pack, but it probably eouldn't leave much room for souvenirs. The Sirrus 24 looks perfect for my wife. I'll have to look into its counterpart for men. Laurie, thanks for the review.

Laurie Ferris likes this.
  4. Laurie Ferris

Home Page:
    Hi Sharonn,
    I'm relieved to hear you say the Sirrus 36 worked well for 5 weeks. I'm going to bring it to India for 2 weeks in December, then next June on the Camino Ingles + Finisterre/Muxia.

5. Laurie Ferris

Home Page:
    Hi Wily,
    I've never heard of that Swedish brand for backpacks, but it sure sounds like an Ikea product name! :)
    When I first looked at the Sirrus 36 last year, I was turned of by the drawstring top. Now that I look closer, it does have the same zip front panel to open the main compartment that the Sirrus 24 has.
    The Osprey Sirrus counterpart for men would be the Osprey Stratos, pictured here on the right:
    [​IMG]
    Do you have an REI near you? The are awesome for helping to select backpacks. You could also order a few online and have them delivered to the store where you can try them out and return the ones you don't like.

Are you planning another Camino?

Cheers,
    Laurie

Wily likes this.
  6. Donna

Donna Member

I have the same pack and just started walking with it and I am having to get use to my arms touching the side pockets. Am I just weird ? :) other wise it's great.

UnkleHammy and Laurie Ferris like this.
  7. calowie

calowie Active Member

The packs in the picture above look like the sirrrus and stratos 34L. Ours are the 36L packs that have a drawstring top with 2 extra pockets for maps, small cameras. etc. They also have the side entry zipper which give s the best of both worlds. Used these on the camino del norte, el primitivo, Portugues and also through Mexico. Love our packs!

UnkleHammy likes this.