1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backpack Trolleys

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by El Condor 2014, Aug 12, 2017.

1. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

I have seen a few pilgrims using one and two wheels trollies while doing the Camino, ( for carrying backpacks and supplies ).
    Has anyone used them ??? , any feedback will be greatly appreciated , eg, price, comfort, pros and cons etc.

Thanks
    El Condor

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Yes to the former, I have seen them in use a couple of times, both on The Camino Frances.

The problem that I see with there is, that they would be fine on well maintained reasonably level paths, but as soon as you start coming across obstacles such as steps or styles then they are worse than useless.

Hence, why they haven’t really caught on ;-)

Just my own opinion :)

Best Regards

Rob

El Condor 2014 likes this.
  3. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Condor - I, too, saw an occasional trolley, but not many (maybe 1-2). I agree with Rob that certain rough sections of the Camino, at least the CF, would be difficult with a trolley. If one were porting a great amount of camping equipment a trolley might make sense. IMHO, I'd prefer to keep my backpack weight down around 6 kg instead of pulling a trolley behind me. But, never having pulled one, I can't speak to the joys of trolleying that others might be able to. Good luck and Buen Camino!

4. oldman

oldman Oldman Donating Member

On the CF in 2015 I met a Man who injured his knee a few weeks into his Camino,his answer was to go into a hardware store and buy a builders wheel barrow type with the inflatable wheel that are designed to be used over rough ground and some cheep ratchet straps ,he then borrowed some spanners and removed the bed and gave it back to the store owner , He cut the straps short enough to fix his backpack onto the chassis and the rest to make a harness to go over his shoulders and around the handles just so as he could let them go if he needed to use his hands without it falling to the ground , as the barrow was meant to carry 30/40kgs his 10 kg was no problem and he was making great time and distance each day.

El Condor 2014 and UnkleHammy like this.
  5. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

Thanks for your feed back !

The reason I am asking about backpack trolleys are as follows
    • I am looking at the possibility of walking from the house where I was born, in La Linea de La Concepcion (1/2 km from Gibraltar ) to Sevilla , then join Via de la Plata and onto Santiago
    • The distance from La Linea to Sevilla is approx. 200km
    • A long stretch is via a national park with limited accommodation and water
    • I may need a tent, water and food to last me for 3 or 4 days
    Therefore, I will need to carry approx. 18 kg, for 200km which is well above my capabilities !

Thanks and regards

El Condor

6. oldman

I like the way you are thinking, don't were yourself down in the first few weeks, many people injure themselves in the early stages of their Camino trying to carry too much gear.
    Take a look at .
    • Radical Design Manufacturing BV
    • The have a lightweight two wheel cart that can be used hands free which would be necessary at times. You can always send your unwanted extra gear home when you get to the regular way, and use Albergue for the rest of your Camino.

7. oldman

I like the way you're thinking ,many people injure themselves in the early stages of their Camino, trying to carry too much gear.
    The a look at .
    • Radical Design Manufacturing BV
    • They have a two wheeled cart that can be used hands free which would be necessary at times.

Galloglaigh likes this.