1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backpacks On Plane

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by Kurt H, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Kurt H

Kurt H New Member

Starting in SJPP very late August. Trying to find latest experience as whether to check my pack (48 liter) or if this size could still be allowed in the cabin? My wife has read that most have no trouble with carrying on, but she'll have a 36 liter pack. Plastic wrap or duffle if checking? Thanks!

2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Kurt, if you go to the website of your airline, it should have information on what is allowed for the dimensions of carry-on luggage. My 36L pack has never been a problem when I have traveled on numerous different carriers. I'm thinking you'll be fine with the slightly larger pack, but best to check with the airline.

3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Kurt and welcome to the forum

Apart from the size of your rucksack (And there is a fair chance that the dimensions of a 45 litre rucksack will exceed the dimensions of what is allowed by the airline for carry-on luggage) you might also want to consider if you will want to take certain items on Camino with you that aren’t allowed as carry-on luggage – Certainly you wouldn’t be allowed to carry on a knife (I take a Swiss army knife with me) and it would appear that different airlines have different policies on trekking poles – So the simplest solution might well be to check in one rucksack rather than to risk having to pay the excessive amount you would no doubt be charged at the airport of you didn’t organise this in advance.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

4. Wily

Kurt, as we've been discussing on another thread, "Carrying A Knife On The Camino," you might think about ways in which you don't have to check your backpack at all. I just finished the Camino with a 35L pack and didn't need anything larger. Plus, the smaller and lighter you go, the easier the walking! If you can, check knives, poles, sharp items, etc. in one bag and then carry on your backpacks. I know I had a lot of anxiety wondering if my backpack would get to Paris when I did since I planned on leaving the city almost immediately. My advice would be to your packs with you if at all possible.

5. Kurt H

Kurt H New Member

Thanks folks. Will call airline to find out. We have been planning on packing poles in a tube and checking them that way, also with the Leatherman than I like to have handy. Will also pack pack and see how small it can be made by sinching the straps good and tight.

Anyone else wishes to share their advice/experience we're all ears!

6. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Kurt, best of all is to check maximum size of baggage at web page of airline. Ryanair has little bit bigger size of cabin baggage than many others and another small one.. Problem is with knives, poles, liquids, etc., but knife, walking poles etc you can buy for few euros in SJPP.
    But if it is possible for you, take smaller backpack. 40L is enough.

7. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    G'day All ,
    I wish i had known about this for before we did our camino last year - so much helpful advice that would have come in real handy.

I will be using all the good ideas for our next trip for sure - thanks Danvo, Wily and RJS.

We checked our 45l packs and had no trouble - though my poles made it difficult to pack around - will be using the tube idea for sure next time.

I agree about what's in the pack which would preclude it from cabin luggage - toiletries, knife etc.

Buen Camino, Kurt. You will never experience any thing better - except maybe the birth of your children or marrying your wife.

8. Kurt H

Kurt H New Member

Thanks, Gerry!

I am looking forward to this so much. A several decade sabbatical dream of mine and now reality since children are now out of University. Wife is accompanying me Looking forward to sharing my experiences with my colleagues and students back at my school.

Less than 5 weeks to go!
    Buen Camino!
    Kurt

9. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Wow you guys really know how to travel - I am taking your advice - carry on my backpack and check a small bag with hiking poles etc. Thanks for all the great information :p

Gerry Vandermaat and Woodchild like this.
  10. James Guest

James Guest New Member

I have carry a 45l pack as a carry on. If the pack is not full to the brim being almost shapeless it should fit to the required size. You can fold over the top and sides to match the airlines size requirements.

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  11. mike gordon

mike gordon musico

I bought a 30x18x11 suitcase on craigslist (there's loads of'em) for twenty bucks. The pack fits in perfectly. So the plan is to send it on to Santiago or jettison it in SJPDP. I am planning on spending some time in Paris Madrid the UK and Erie so I'd like to have some 'streets' to walk around in. And I do not mind throwing it under the plane. Don't sweat the details.

12. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

We had an old "junker" suit case that I used and l left in the trash in Bayonne. Worked when I was trying to be normal and protected my backpack for the walk.

13. Donna

Donna Member

I purchased a
    Kelty Trekker External Frame Pack and didn't check the measurements first for carry on. It's slightly larger then allowed. It feels great on and I really like it but was wondering if I should send back ?

14. UnkleHammy

I used to use a Kelly Trekker and have since upgraded to an Osprey Kestrel. I got a 48 L model and if i ever get back will use the 36 L model. The 36 L will fit in the plane and carry enough for the trip. I found that the 48 L model rode well and rarely got in my way. I got mine fitted at REI and am very happy with it. It also weighs less than the Kelty.

15. Wily

Hey Donna - I'm not really a fan of the external frame as so many good interval frames can be found these days. Two issues to consider. One, if your pack is larger than a 35L pack then it's larger than you need. The temptation will be to take more than you need. This is really a case here of where less is actually more. To walk far, carry less! Second, you want a pack that can go in the cabin with you. If you check your backpack, you risk it not arriving when you do. Therefore, you want the right size pack that fits you and one you can carry on the plane with you. Return the Kelty and check-out the Osprey Sirrus 36 for women. Buen Camino!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  16. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

That looks like a serious-business backpack, Donna. At 65 L, you'll be really loaded down if you fill it, and it weighs a great deal at 5# 5 oz already. That's about 1/3 of the weight that's optimal to carry in total backpack weight for a person weighing around 160#. But if you like it and it's comfortable, that's worth a great deal. Have you loaded up what you want to take and taken it for a long hike? I took a 50L Asolo Elle the first two Caminos - have taken it all over traveling and am "attached to it", but really don't need the extra space or weight, so just got a 36 L Medium Gregory Women's Amber on sale through Amazon. It has a set of straps at the bottom that any sleeping bag or fleece can go on without taking up inside pack space. It has loops for trekking poles, is the right torso length, has side pockets for water, weights about 3#, and looks to have a sturdy, padded waistband and an internal frame, which are my only requirements other than just liking the look of it.

The metal frame on the Kelty would drive me nuts, but there must be a reason you chose it. Do you mind me asking what season you plan to do your Camino?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  17. UnkleHammy

I got, and used, my Kelty several years ago and loved it. When I decided to walk the Camino I reevaluated my camping/hiking equipment and decided that the newer equipment was far better than my old friends were. I ended up replacing almost every thing. The results were quite good except for the new pack which is too large.

18. UnkleHammy

@Donna if you want an "experienced" Kelty, I'll give you one for free if you will pick up the shipping costs.

19. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Donna and welcome to the forum

You have already received a lot of good advice and there isn’t a lot that I can add – I have never owned a rucksack with an external frame, but you will see quite a few people still using them when you walk your Camino – For some reason (And I have no idea what this is) a lot of none British / mainland European’s seem to prefer them.

If you have bought it to use as hand luggage on flights and it is too big, then although some airlines may well let you through, others won’t, so potentially you will have trouble there

Finally – Personally, I think that your rucksack should be large enough for all your kit to go Inside – I know that things can be strapped to the outside, but I don’t see the point of this as apart from the potential of loosing things, they get wet and dirty and can be very annoying flapping around

All Just my own views of course ;-)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  20. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Based on the bad experience Stephen had just before our camino (he checked on backpack with the airline, but it was lost in transit for several days), there's no way we considered checking our backpacks through to Madrid. For our 2015 camino, my wife had a 48L Osprey Kestrol and I had a 50L Osprey Atmos. We did not fill these to the brim and were able to compress the size using all the straps. Also, we were able to put each backpack in a large cloth sack the size of a laundry bag. It was almost weightless and kept our backpacks clean. For our flight from Indpls to Newark, we took a smaller plane and were pretty sure they'd not fit in the overhead compartment. So it was easy to check these on the plane at the gate - but we knew the bags flew with us. For the overseas flight to Madrid, our backpacks easily fit in the overhead compartment. We did check on a very old canvas rucksack with our trekking poles, my swiss army knife and scissors. We're going on our second camino frances in September and will follow the same routine.

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  21. Donna

Donna Member

Thank you. I did decide to send Kelty back. I will check out the Osprey Kestrel 36L. I really appreciate the advice.

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  22. Wily

Hey Donna - If you go to the Osprey website, you'll find that the Kestrel 38 is categorized has a men's backpack. There is a sizing chart on their site that I would recommend looking at. It may be that your frame could handle a men's pack, but choosing a pack designed for women might be something to consider. Buen Camino!
    http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/kestrel-38-KESTREL38.html

Greg Canning likes this.
  23. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Donna

Osprey actually have a pack sizing app on their website which you can download to your smartphone. On our last Camino I used the Osprey Stratos 34 (mens pack) and my partner used the Osprey Sirrus 26 (women's pack) and we will use them again for this years 9 day Camino. I think they are probably just about the right size for what we need but I don't think we could go smaller. Osprey make their frames to fit the male and female body shape so keep that in mind when considering which to go for.

We loved the Osprey for their lightness and for keeping the weight off your back. The ventilated back was really appreciated on those very warm days. Two small gripes - it can be difficult to reach the water bottle pouches and my partner's Samsung Galaxy barely fitted into the hip belt pocket (my Iphone 5SE was fine in mine) As I say, minor gripes.

I would agree with all the advice about going to a store and trying some on. Most stores can add weights to allow you feel what it will be like when loaded.

Best of luck and Buen Camino.

Greg

UnkleHammy, Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  24. Wily

Hey Greg - We are definitely of like minds when it comes to packs. I, too, have the Stratos (the 36L) and my wife the Sirrus (also the 36L model). After hiking the CF last year, a 36L pack is more than enough to carry what you need. As my wife is only 5'2", the Sirrus in XS/S fits her very well. So Donna, I think you'd do well to check out the models designed for women. Size and fit are important ingredients for a successful Camino!

After deciding on a pack, check out the threads on this Forum regarding what to take. Like many other first timers, I, too, brought along too much and found myself discarding items even before I reached Pamplona. Go light! You'll be glad you did.

25. calowie

calowie Active Member

Hello all- as stated by many people there is ease of mind when you know the pack is just above you in the overhead bins of the airplane. We used the osprey statos and sirrus, each 36L, on the camino del norte, the primitivo and portuguese from Porto. They were a perfect size, and helped us limit the things we carried. The biggest item was a light (400gm) sleeping bag that fit in the lower pouch. I also do not like to see or carry things tied on to the outside of the pack, as, if they are heavy, they can alter the balance point, and then they get wet and swing around. Because of all the great information on this site we did not have to throw away any excess items, and the bags, fully loaded weighed less than 7 Kg. Spending the time to find a light pack that fits well, and serves your needs is one of the most important investments for the camino!

Greg Canning, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  26. Wily

Hey Calowie - Couldn't agree with you more on the 7 kg maximum weight! Personally, I'd tell folks to ignore the proposed 10% rule as individual body weights drastically differ and focus on a more absolute weight as you have suggested. In addition to it being a very manageable weight, it should not exceed the capacity of what can be carried in a 36L pack. It's a win-win situation!

27. UnkleHammy

It is very important to get whatever pack you plan on using correctly fitted. On line there is a bunch of information, but no two people have the same shape and your pack will become part of you and the better the fit the happier you will be after a few weeks of carrying it.

Greg Canning and Wily like this.
  28. Donna

Donna Member

end of August Leon to Santiago

29. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

OK, thanks. That will probably be a great time to do it. You'll meet so many interesting people anytime you go, but at the end of August, the high-school and college students will probably be finishing up and heading back to school and maybe the demand for beds will be less. Coming out of Leon, if you can find others going that more isolated way, the back roads via Oncina are pleasant - you'll pass the stork's nests in the bell towers. It saves road walking that day. And Astorga is a great town!

Donna, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  30. Donna

Donna Member

That is so neat! Will it take longer to go that route. We are planning to do the walk in 11 days.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.