1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad news on the Via de la Plata

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by geraldkelly, Feb 5, 2012.

1. geraldkelly

geraldkelly Member

Home Page:
    I recently came across a newspaper article (Turismo cierra cuatro albergues y tres cámpings con 40 empleos - Extremadura - El Periódico Extremadura) about the government of Extremadura closing albergues. This affects the southern section of the Via. The albergues in question are in Fuente de Cantos, Zafra, Puebla de Sancho Pérez and Torremejía.

They say the reason for the closures is that they can't afford the running costs.

Fortunately, alternative accommodation is available in each of those places. Unfortunately it's gonna be more expensive.

Ger

2. unadara

unadara New Member

Thanks Ger for all your guides, I am looking for a book to read prior to making decision about route to walk ? Alison Ragu's guide though heavy is due to be reprinted/updated very soon, could this be the sign I am waiting on ? I could go mid April and this time of year seems to be recommended on this forum ?

3. geraldkelly

geraldkelly Member

Home Page:
    Hi Una

Mid-April would be a great time to start the Via. You'd be in Santiago for the beginning of June. It shouldn't bee too hot and there will be other people walking (unlike when I did it in mid-winter). It's a pretty long walk though so you have to be sure you're ready for it. The alternatives could be the Camino del Norte, which everybody raves about but which is quite hilly. Or the Camino Primitivo which also gets good reports but is even more hilly!

Have fun whichever you choose!
    Ger

4. backiej

backiej Member

I stayed in FdeC, Zafra and Torremejia and they are 3 of the nicest albergues on the route, they are like paradors. However, I was there in July/August 2011 and there were at least 6 or 7 other peregrinos, (In Zafra the albergue was full). As July/August is the quiet time, I would think that this is more like propaganda spread so that someone can get their hands on these very desirable properties.

In Torremejia there is a private Albergue (10E) but it is not as nice as the public one.

Such a shame though. Perhaps we can start a petition?

5. aeveling

aeveling New Member

Home Page:
    It looks as if Zafra, Fuente de Cantos and Torremegia are actually open now, contrary to earlier reports from Spain. I think I read it on the Eroski website and there is a current discussion on the other Camino website. In 4 weeks time I'll be walking from Sevilla to Merida starting April 1st and will report back here en route or when I return.

Andrew.

6. backiej

backiej Member

Thank you for your post. I'll be very interested to hear the updates.
    Jackie

7. unadara

unadara New Member

This forum never ceases to provide. It is possible that I might be blessed this year and get to walk the VdePlata Oct...(I go Norte Apr 18th)..but all the information here is like gold dust. I posted elsewhere about a possible influx of Irish retirees on the Normal route "Frances" so it may be that the need for the alberques on the "other" routes increases, lets hope so, let's hope the Government see fit to keep up the support for the Camino Routes over all of Spain.
    Thanks

8. geraldkelly

geraldkelly Member

Home Page:
    I just received news that the hostel in Fuente de Cantos is open again and that a great new parish hostel has opened in Monesterio. I'm hoping for more updates in the coming days so I'll keep you posted. :)

9. januarius

januarius New Member

in early July I stayed in Zafra at the former Franciscan Friary was very nice and accomodating with a kitchen and they do serve breakfast in early morning...but they are closed I believe on Mondays and Tuesday.