1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barcelona Metro

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Jun 11, 2018.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

My wife and I are planning our third Camino Frances for Sept-Oct 2019. Our first two caminos began in Madrid with overnights in Madrid, Pamplona and St Jean. My wife has not been to Barcelona, so we're considering flying from the US to Barcelona, then seeing some of the top sights such as Sagrada Familia, the Picasso Art Museum, wandering the Las Ramblas, etc. We'd plan to stay in the Gothic Quarter. I looked at the Barcelona Metro map, and it appears you can take the Metro from the airport to downtown Barcelona.

Question: How easy is it to navigate the Metro in Barcelona - as compared to the Metro in Madrid? We'll want to travel to the airport to downtown, then the next day travel from downtown to the Sants train station, where we'll catch a train to Pamplona.

At the end of our camino, I found a flight from Santiago to Barcelona on Ryanair for 35 euros each.

Gracias. Bob

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Bob

I have stayed in Barcelona a few times and used both the metro and the local trains without problems – In fact I started walking one of my Camino’s from Montserrat which is only a short train ride away from Barcelona and also worth a visit if you have time. https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/montserrat-spain.html

So, I don’t envisage you having any problems at all

Sounds like a bargain with Ryan Air on your return trip too !!!

Best Regards

Rob

Greg Canning likes this.
  3. calowie

calowie Active Member

Bob- there is a train directly from the airport. We took the metro airport to downtown and also stayed in the gothic quarter. Al alternative is to take the fast and relatively cheap bus direct from airport to plaza Catalunya. Then walk down La Ramplas and into the gothic quarter (5-10 mins). Or you can take the airport connector directly to Sants station, and the metro back to Sants station when you are ready. The metro is easy, well marked, and lots of maps. The only downside is the reputation of pickpockets on the metro! I love Barcelona- so much to see and do!

Greg Canning likes this.
  4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Rob and calowie, thanks for your comments. Very reassuring and good to know. We really love Madrid, but starting from Barcelona would be a nice change for us! Bob

Greg Canning and RJS like this.
  5. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Bob - As you plan for your stay in Barcelona, I thought that you might enjoy reading some of the articles posted on the Culinary Backstreets website.

https://culinarybackstreets.com/category/cities-category/barcelona/

Barcelona is one of the cities that they feature. I have found their features on eateries off the beaten (tourist) path very helpful for my stays in Mexico City and Porto. Although I’ll only have about 24 hours in Barcelona in October, I’ll try and take advantage of some of their recommendations. Buen Camino y Buen Provecho!

Greg Canning likes this.
  6. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Thanks, Wily. The renovated market looks great. We'll add this to our list of things to see/do when we pass through Barcelona during our next camino. Bob