1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bargain Basement Airfare - Best Price In Decades !

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Nov 22, 2016.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

We are planning our second camino flying to Madrid on Sept 4 and flying back to Indianapolis on Oct 18. I've been checking round trip airfares for several months. The time horizon for Expedia did not allow me to use dates that far out, so I was using dates for an April/May camino rather than Sept/Oct camino. The round trip price per person was very consistent - approx. $1,200. As the months passed, I checked again yesterday. Expedia allowed for our trip dates, with the exception that the maximum return date was Oct 17. So I checked prices and about fell out of my chair when I saw the result. $405 / per person, round trip. Unbelievable. I called the Expedia help line to see if they could override the date so I could order tickets with an Oct 18 return date. Nope. The friendly agent suggested I just wait a day or two then try again. This was such a great deal, I was considering making our return date Oct 17, but this would have required me to change hotel reservations in Santiago and Madrid and for us to modify our camino hiking plan. My brother (he and his wife are walking with us) suggested I try making reservations directly with Delta airlines. Bingo! That website allowed Oct 18 return flight and the price was $405. So we now have four tickets confirmed for our trip. I have no idea why the rates dropped so low - possibly since we are leaving on Sept 4, which is Labor Day in the US. Other factors might include lower prices for airline fuel or the strong US dollar. I first travelled to Europe for a semester abroad in Spain in 1978. I flew Icelandic airlines, stopping to refuel in Iceland, then arriving in Luxembourg. The round trip airfare was around $600. Then in 1981 I returned to Europe and flew Sabena airlines, arriving in Brussels. The round trip fare was also in the $625 range. The bargain fare we booked yesterday is more than 33% lower than what I paid in the late 70s. What a deal! Anyone planning a camino in this timeframe should check prices immediately! Bob

UnkleHammy, Greg Canning and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Bob - That is a GREAT fare! Glad you jumped on it since I highly doubt it will go lower than that. I have tickets in April on Air Canada (Montreal-Porto) for $518 that I bought two months ago. Not as good as your deal, but one I can live with.

Pilgrims need to remember a few things when purchasing tickets: 1) buy early. Airfares usually just go up, 2) when traveling shoulder season, as you are, one will usually find better prices particularly to Europe, 3) one will find better fares flying into major destinations like Paris and Madrid, and 4) it's great to check with the online travel services, but as you found out, you got exactly what you wanted, at the same price, by going directly to the airline itself. Buen Camino!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Maurice Marr and Greg Canning like this.
  3. Texanna

Texanna New Member

Just last week I found unbelievable prices using Skyscanner! $397! So I didn't believe it! Has anyone found Skyscanner to be reliable way to buy tickets? I got the recommendation from this forum. If I call Delta now might I get the same offer?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  4. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Texanna - Just go online to Delta.com and plug in your airports and dates. You'll be able to quickly see if their fare matches up with the one offered on Skyscanner. There are both pluses and minuses using the third-party vendors. If you get the same price, or something close, from Delta directly, buy from them. Then, if there are any problems as you travel, they'll be able to take care of you immediately. Let us know what you find out.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  5. Texanna

Texanna New Member

Delta not offering that awesome deal! And Skyscanner is no longer offering the $397 deal. But I can keep watching ....
    Anyone have an opinion/experience with Skyscanner?
    Thanks, Wily.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  6. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

I checked prices today (Expedia and Delta) and prices have returned to the $1,200 / person / round trip level, so this must have been a special deal that ran for just a few days.