1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bath Towels at Alberques

Discussion in 'Albergues - Hostels' started by Oak Hill Walkers, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Oak Hill Walkers

Oak Hill Walkers New Member

Here's a dumb question. Do, as a rule, albergues provide bath towels for pilgrims?

2. throthette

throthette Guest

I don't think a single albergue on the French route provided towels. Unless you plan on staying only in hostels only, you should probably take one. I took a hand towel, which worked fine, and let it hang off of my pack during the day to dry. Lots of people used microfiber towels, which are supposed to be lightweight and dry quickly.

3. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I've never seen an albergue provide towels either. Everyone brings their own. Yes, microfiber is the way to go. It is lightweight, takes little room, dries quickly, and is easily washed. Here's an example from REI: REI MultiTowel Lite X Large Towel - 49" x 29.5" at REI.com . Not cheap, but definitely worth the investment.

4. karenleeg

karenleeg New Member

Microfiber towls are great - the "larger" size I bought 5 years ago comes in a very handy pouch into which I put my toothbrush and toothpaste..They dry very quickly and can be used for years - seem to be antimicrobiable as well - never a musty smell even when I pull it out after several months awaiting the next journey! REI are great - also Mountain Equipment Coop in Canada.

5. BHinSanDiego

BHinSanDiego New Member

I highly recommend the microfiber towel, stay away from a standard terrycloth towel, too much weight if wet.

6. janemaryokeefe

janemaryokeefe New Member

No, they don't. But........I hike the camino in 2009. They give you a pillowcase and clean sheet that covers the mattress and a blanket---which you do need in the mountains. I brought myself a silk sleeping sheet sack, which has a pillowcase attached.

7. Pouveer

Pouveer New Member

Beware of the blankets. I got bedbug bites twice when I used them. The idea with the silk sleeping bag is very good, because the bedbugs cannot get through it and also cannot hide in it.

8. BHinSanDiego

BHinSanDiego New Member

I carried a fleece sleeping bag liner, it served me well, I also treated it for bed bugs prior to walking.

9. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Another thought on towels ...

Not knowing any better, I took a regular old cotton towel (46"x28"). Not only did it serve its intended function, but I used it as a pillow, a blanket, a windbreaker underneath my shirt to protect against the chilly morning wind, and a cushion in my backpack for soft fruits like bananas and apples. I just weighed it ... 480 grams ... just a tad over a pound. Since I always showered at the end of the day's walk, it was always dry after a night of hanging on the bedpost.

Best of all, it is now used it to cover the hassock I rest my legs on when sitting at the the computer. Sentimental old fool that I am, it is a daily reminder of cool showers, warm clothing, and soft bedding. All of my other equipment is stored away, but my towel ... still with me, right here, like an old friend ! :eek:

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne likes this.
  10. Precious1

Precious1 New Member

Beautifully put, Alan. Love it.:D
    Sometimes not knowing any better is the most functional in the end.:eek:

Katharine

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  11. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

Thanks Kate ! And you are so, so right about not knowing any better.

As I think about it, that particular lesson is one I dearly needed to learn.

Even better, it has made me more aware of how negatively judgmental I am of others when I think they "don't know any better" ! Who am I, after all, to say ???

:confused: