1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Be Safe On The Camino - Bring A Head Lamp !

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Oct 18, 2019.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

We left St Jean on September 20 and have one week to ho until we arrive in Santiago. Cindi and I begin hiking most days at 7:00 to 7:30 am. Since the sunrise is not until 8:45, this means we walk in the dark for an hour. We always use our head “torches” and find them invaluable to locate the yellow arrows to keep us on the camino. We consider the head lamps to be an important safety item since it is sometimes necessary to walk on the road on a narrow shoulder facing oncoming traffic in the dark.

We are amazed to see one or several pilgrims each morning walking in the dark without head lamps. This morning we left O Cebreiro in complete darkness. There is a very short distance in which it is necessary to walk on the road before climbing the senda path. We were aghast to almost bump into three pilgrims standing close to the road without any headlamps. A short while later each of these pilgrims were climbing the steep trail in complete darkness. These were very steep climbs on paths not more than 6 feet wide. A misstep or stumble could easily propel the hiker down a cliff to serious injury or death! I cautioned one pilgrim about walking in darkness and he said there was enough “ambient light” to see the path!

Any first time pilgrims assembling your hiking kit - if you plan to hike in the dark, a head torch is an essential safety item !

Bob

2. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Same issue this morning hiking out of Portomarín in the dark and very thick fog. A few peregrinos ahead of us with no headlamps. Major cliffs just to the side of the trail. Bery dangerous. I just don’t understand this careless risk for personal safety. Bob

3. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Gollum to Frodo and Sam - "Follow the lights, Hobbitses!"

4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Back at home. Bought a brighter head torch with more lumins for the next camino ! Bob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  5. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

@BROWNCOUNTYBOB last time I had a head lamp and a rechargeable red bicycle light for the back of my pack.

6. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

U Hammy, I did the same, head torch to see ahead and red blinking bike light on my backpack. The annoying issue my wife and I kept experiencing was we’d take one or both lights off and put in our backpack then later discover the light was turned on. We finally removed the batteries each time to preserve them. Santa Claus will give me a new head torch with much higher lumens so it will be brighter on the trail.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  7. UnkleHammy

I haven't been looking lately, but is there a headlamp that is rechargeable like my red bycicle lamp? I have my cell with me and I used it's charger for the red lamp. No extra batteries to worry about.

8. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

I have a Foxelli headlamp that is rechargeable and will last up to 30 hours on a single charge. It is relatively inexpensive, and I have seen it advertised as cheap as about $15 online, plus tax and shipping. Mine was brighter and had a wider and longer range of light than any of the battery powered units that I saw. I just now pulled it out of the drawer and turned it on. It has not been charged since our Camino ended in mid-October 2017 and is still as bright as can be. I highly recommend this unit. I carried along a plug-in adapter for charging my phone/camera and would recharge my headlamp with a USB cord (comes with the lamp). It never once turned on accidentally as it has a flat push switch that takes a pretty good push to activate.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019 at 9:37 PM
    BROWNCOUNTYBOB and UnkleHammy like this.
  9. UnkleHammy

Bryan Morlock likes this.