1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bed bugs

Discussion in 'Albergues - Hostels' started by laurapaez, Mar 26, 2011.

1. laurapaez

laurapaez Guest

Has anyone been lately, 2011, that can tell me how the bed bug situation was?

2. Covey

Covey Active Member

I have not heard much so far this year, but they tend to spread rapidly in the summer months and die down in the cold of winter.

A lot of albergues fumigate and have all the blankets washed in Jan/Feb whilst it is quiet but the experts say that a bedbug can last 6 months between feeds so those who last dined in Oct will be feeling a little peckish about now!!

If you take precautions and spray your sleeping bag/liner with a Permetherin solution and spray your pack inside and out, you should arrive in Santiago intact!! Another excellent idea is to buy a single fitted sheet (as light as possible!) and soak that in Permetherin. When you arrive in an albergue put your treated sheet on the bed and you will be fine.

3. AMNUSA

AMNUSA New Member

I have walked four caminos and have never been bitten or brought home bed bugs. I wash my clothes and a light weight fitted sheet in Permethrin. I also spray my pack inside and out and carry a spray can of Permethrin with me and give the bed a quick spray after I have inspected it for the little "critters." I carry a large plastic bag that I have sprayed and place my pack in it before placing it on the floor tying it as tight as possible before I retire for the night. Bed bugs are most active around 2 and 3 a.m. When I return home I do not bring my pack into the house. I take all my clothes out and place in a plastic bag then tip them into the washing machine and wash them in hot water and then a hot drier. I spray my pack and leave it in the plastic bag tied up tightly for a couple of weeks or more. So far ..so good..no bed bugs!
    I will be walking the Portugese Camino in September (2011) and of course will be taking all precautions that I have taken previous years.

4. noelieboy

noelieboy New Member

Nearing 'bedbug neurosis' before I started, I have walked two caminos (2009 and 2010) without being bitten. From my researches I found that US army overseas postings involved spraying items with Permethrin; the claim is that the spraying endures more than twenty-five launderings, and that the chemical has no negative health effects.

I merely sprayed the inside and outside of both my sleeping bag and rucksack on a sunny day at home. Later I sprayed my silk liner, and the slight aroma is not strong or objectionable. Bob's your uncle!

5. janemaryokeefe

janemaryokeefe New Member

Hi!
    I hiked the camino in 2009 and only had bedbugs on the last 2 overnights in Santiago. I stayed in a hostel that was in the lower quarters of a large concrete building. It was like staying in a musty cellar. I got congested because of the mold. And..........got bitten by bedbugs. I was upset that I had made it all that way to end up having to deal with bedbug bites. I stopped at a pharmacy and the pharmacist said that they weren't catchy and not to worry. The bites would go away in a few days and that was that.

6. CTDAHL

CTDAHL Guest

Thank you for this answer Amnusa...four of us will be making our debut pilgrimage commencing May 13/14th from St. Jean Pied de Port to June 16th ...very excited....very nervous. But the BedBug situation is probably my most biggest area of concern. I will indeed buy the spray which I'm sure we can get enroute?? Hopefully Mid-May is still too cool for the little rascals to start munching...oh...I shouldn't have said that...I'm so itchy now. Have a FABULOUS trip on your Portugese Camino...I look forward to your Blog.

7. Covey

Covey Active Member

CTDAHL........I am afraid that buying your bug treatment enroute is about a few weeks too late!! You need to do all the treatment bit before you set out for Lisbon or Porto, or anywhere else on the Camino trails.

The best treatment is Permetherin which is what the US Army uses on its tropical uniforms to protect against a wide range of bugs and creepy crawlies. You need to dilute the Permetherin to a 5% solution and then spray it on your sleeping bag and your pack. I have never needed to spray my clothes but some do. The Permetherin will last about 10 washes before it loses its effectiveness.

In the UK you can buy Permetherin ready diluted in a spray container in the camping shops. Permetherin is not normally sold in pharmacies, but you can buy it in stores which deal in horse equipment and animal veterinary items.

Some countries do not permit the retail sale of Permetherin, but there are usually alternatives. In the USA I think Deet is an alternative.

8. AMNUSA

AMNUSA New Member

Thank you CTDAHL.....and Covey is right do it all before you leave...I had to buy mine on the Internet it is not sold in stores where I live and I don't think you will find Permethrin anywhere on the Camino. Buen Camino :)

9. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
  10. noelieboy

noelieboy New Member

Adding to my earlier post, the proprietary brand which I bought in a veterinary shop in Ireland is "R.I.P. Fleas" which has Permethrin, Tetramethrin and Methoprene.

My purchase was a 600ml/1 pint spray can and it was produced by Genitrix Animal Health and Nutrition - www.genitrix.co.uk; I used the spray liberally, with enough left for a second person (or more), at a cost of €22. I walked the entire Camino Frances (2009) and Via de la Plata (2010) without a single bite; I met some few pilgrims with bites and I didn't envy them.

11. Covey

Covey Active Member

I met a couple of ladies last year who were using a non-chemical product made from some form of plant extract to keep the bugs away for those nervous of using man made chemicals.