1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bedbug Alert! Najera Municipal Albergue Closed!

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Sep 27, 2019.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Cindi and I were relaxing in the Logroño plaza by the cathedral yesterday afternoon when a couple approached us and asked if we were pilgrims (our clothes and my shaggy white beard were dead giveaways).

Mike and his wife were from Denver and last weekend began a two week hospitalero stay at the municipal albergue in Najera. Soon after arriving they discovered a major problem with bedbugs. Mike got bitten several times the first night. He wasn’t sure what action to take.He notified a pharmacy. In turn, the pharmacy counted the police. The police shut the place down! Mike and his wife had to leave shortly after boiling their clothes in a paella cooking pan.

Mike said the 90+ beds all had the plastic enclosed mattresses but the bedbugs were infested in the ceilings and floors. Not sure how long it will be closed. Cindi and I hiked to Ventosa today and are staying at a nice casa Rural. We had lunch today At a nearby bar and overhead six young adults taking about hiking to Najera and staying in the municipal tonight. We updated them on the bedbug problem.

With many pilgrims on the Camino and some towns already short of beds, the Najera municipal closing will make things worse.

Bob

Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  2. fluffkitten

fluffkitten Member

Sounds like that place needs a thorough fumigation. I hope they can get the place sorted and re-opened asap.