1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bedbug Protection

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by Covey, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Lee Cat

Lee Cat New Member

This may be too late for you, but I made my own fitted sheet with rip-stop nylon and treated it with permethrin for my Camino. I used the dimensions of a European twin mattress. Since I haven't gone on my Camino yet, I don't know if that'll work. Can anyone tell me if 35 x 79 inches is correct?

2. Lee Cat

Lee Cat New Member

I am planning to walk the Camino de Madrid next spring (2014), starting right after Easter. Since you are currently walking this route, I would be very interested in learning your experiences. I am a female and will be walking alone. Any tips will be much appreciated: problems finding albergues this time of year; need for gaiters for all the rain?; heavier clothing; quantity of pilgrims on the route etc. This will be my first Camino, but I want a little bit of solitude, at least for the first half. Is this a mistake for a first timer?

3. Gozo

Gozo New Member

Sarong

Thanks Covey- great idea re the Sarong! Planning to Camino mid Sept this year and planning my rucksac, but had thought to put in a scarf - the Sarong is MUCH better idea, Thanks again!

4. Bella Tomato

Bella Tomato New Member

Home Page:
    Hidey ho,
    I just completed walking the Camino Frances a few weeks ago.
    I bought the Purple Turtle Pyramid Bed Bug Guard Sheet and Pillow Case treated with Delthamethrin.
    http://www.purpleturtle.co.uk/acatalog/Bed_Bugs.html
    I used the double size sheet and it fitted the albergue beds well. It had a good amount left to hang over the edges of the bed. I would be wary about buying the single sheet as I think it might be too small to adequately cover the mattress.
    I recieved two pillow cases in the set. Unfortunately the pillows in Spain are all really long and the pillow case didn't cover them properly (by the way in my experience every albergue provided a pillow except the odd one or two on my entire walk from St Jean to Santiago). I nonetheless used it and tried to position the pillow so that my head would be on the guarded part for the best part of the night.
    I used the other pillowcase as a bag to hold all the things I would need for getting ready in the morning. I tied it up and put it next to the bed so I wouldn't have to rummage through my pack in the dark in the mornings.
    Additionally I soaked my sleeping bag and sprayed my backpack with a Permethrin mixture. I found the Permethrin in an outdoors store.
    I am happy to say that I didn't get bitten once. However, I was travelling with some others who hadn't taken any precautions against bedbugs and they also did not get bitten, so it's hard to say exactly how effective my system was. Then again, I met a bunch of people who had been bitten, too! So I guess it just depends on how paranoid you are!
    If I were to do it again though I would take exactly the same precautions. Bedbugs are not something you want to roll up in your sleeping bag and brring home with you!

5. michaelgrow

michaelgrow New Member

thanks! so no silk liner?
    And one q: I'm heading out in mid sept there till mid oct. have a sleeping bag - 2lbs - 20 degrees F - too warm?
    Buen Camino!

6. michaelgrow

michaelgrow New Member

so when you take the sheet off the bed and put in your backpack aren't you carrying the buggers with you? - this is not a question of added weight by the way :)

7. Bic Bruce

Bic Bruce New Member

Hi bella tomato,
    (Cool name by the way)!
    thanks for your advice. I have just bought 2 double bed bug guard sheets for my wife and I. I can't think of anything worse than walking in the pouring rain, scratching my hands or arms or anything else really. I got bitten badly a couple of years a go in Salta in Argentina and certainly do not want a repeat of that experience! Hopefully, I won't be allergic to the contact insecticide either.
    Cheers and buen Camino
    Bic Bruce.

8. Windewillow

Windewillow New Member

The only thing I have found so far is a pyrethrin solution for garden bugs, does anyone know if that will be ok to treat my stuff?is it the same as permethrin that is mentioned here?it has directions to dilute it so I just thought it might be the same thing just a different name...?

9. cw18

cw18 New Member

10. Windewillow

Windewillow New Member

Thank You!

11. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

I recently spent 34 days walking the Camino Frances then on to Finisterre and Muxia, and used pretty basic albergues as far a possible. Many supply paper sheets and pillowcases and extra blankets. I did not take any precautions regarding bed bugs on the basis that if I had a problem, a visit to the local Farmacia would provide a solution. As it turned out I had no problems anywhere with bedbugs!!

12. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I am considering treating down sleeping bag, silk liner and backpack with Permethrin. Some questions I'd appreciate your advice

1, I see Amazon has Permethrin in 13% or 10% bottle. If I want to treat liner etc, I assume I dilute the liquid by 9 times the water for 10% or 12 times water for 13%. Is that right?

2, I want to treat sleeping bag too. But, it's 90% down. Not sure if it's doable without damaging it. Any experienced peregrinos can share some ideas?

Tyson

13. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

I use an aerosol insecticide from the local pet shop. It is effective against fleas and crawling insects. The active ingredients in the one I use are deltamethrin and pyrethrins.

I use it to spray the outside of my sleeping bag, silk liner and backpack. I treat these the day before I pack my gear so the spray can dry off. I had no problems with bugs on the Camino last year.

anaon likes this.
  14. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

I used a Snugpak sleeping bag which is pre-treated with insect repellent so didn't have to worry about that item of equipment.

For my backpack I used Skitostop spray-on repellent from Nikwax and had no problems whatever, though it must be said that no-one in any of the accommodations I stayed in had problems anyway. Unfortunately Nikwax have discontinued production of Skitostop. Lifesystems have a Permethrin-based spray-on repellent (available from Amazon.co.uk). I would have thought that a spray-on repellent is unlikely to damage the filling of a sleeping bag, though a brush-on or immersion one probably would.

15. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Hi Mike & Tyson

you don't need to dilute anything
    Permethrin ....we used it in the military its was on our clothes you body can break it down if you come in contact with it when its not had time to dry after you spray
    YES I do the same, I use a flea spray.it contains the active agent Permethrin 0:4%.
    Tyson do not use DEET on your Terra Nova sleeping bag, please please please , DEET is bad for some fabrics.
    as Mike mention deltamethrin or Permethrin is good......your find sawyer as I mention to you before
    [​IMG]

in the United States of America

a week minimum (for the down sleeping bag) before you go give the spray your sleeping bag a spray by laying the bag over the shower rail or glass door or lay it flat.....then protect yourself form inhaling...a light spray one side....when the fumes have cleared do the other side.....make sure you all the bag to air for a few days in case the down inside has absorbed any moisture...
    try no to keep you sleeping bag compressed when storing it at home......prepare your pack then remove it and keep it lofted ..lay it under your bed or on a cupboard.....I have a 50 liter box with air holes and fold it gently lifted in that box nothing else.this will prolong the life of the bag....

to treat the liner same method. when everything is dry the smell goes....

for your rucksack make sure you get into all the zip flaps first.then hold your bag upside down then spray as if your a bug working your way into tiny flaps and hidy hole places.

make sure you spray your back system(good bags have a mesh. great for bugs to hide).then liberally spray all the rest all over the bag until its all gone....

good idea to stuff a duvet into your bag to bulk it out before you spray....I make sure I spry generously .OCD spraying for me .

when on the camino keep your bag away from corners of your bed area(they do not like rucksacks on beds).
    and not hanging on the bed frame....bedbugs will detect the presence of permethrin ...the adult bug can still walk across your bag seen this myself.but they will move along quickly. the adults does move, like a fly moves along a surface. we watch this last camino.....

in the early hours of the night they assemble and strike AAAARRRRRCHHHH.:eek::oops::confused: first injecting a agent so you feel nothing then yum yum on your blood....in the morning you itch.and they are asleep hiding. or hiding in someones rucksack..........when people use the rucksack forwarding service all the bags all nicely stacked together...this gives the bugs choices.....some even end up at home with you......they love the cargo holds of planes .even more choices for them......so make sure you spray you pack properly.....in the dead of night Tyson they strike.......my spray lasts 3 months (it says that on my cans) ..

Hope this helps.........just remember folks in the dead of night when your fast asleep (snoring )they strike.
    if you see some one near sleeping on top of there bag, worry not they will be the handy sacrificial pilgrim the bugs will aim for "in the dead of night".
    bedbugs don't care if your washed or unwashed, not fussy which country you come from .they love to travel as well so make good camino company....very light, hardly notice...not keen on the freezer or hot sun so look after them if your have them and keep them too your self...

Tyson likes this.
  16. highlander

Hi Hobbler

the spray from lifesystems works out expensive for those minding the penny's and not much in those small bottles.
    I BUY SIX FLEA SPRAY CANS AND USE ALL OF IT.
    I have a rather lot of military kit I forget to hand back to the stores when I retired which is treated before issuse...not ideal attire for the camino....

my shirt was permethrin treated...before I brought that
    some people bugs don't bother, just like the lucky few midge don't bother.

last year, did a few caminos. and on the francas we saw a few nice places with certificates displayed.however this treatment takes place early on in the year......the order now is no chemicals . so we saw in three places or adult bedbugs.....i mention this to the owner who brought her certificate and papers to show us.we left discreetly telling other we are camping and stayed to shower and wash n dry our clothers..I have done a camino with no bugs in the places I have stayed................sometimes someone has a bite from nature and panics and tells everybody its bedbug bite

17. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Highlander,
    This is a masterpiece on bedbugs from battlefield for especially one uninformed like me. I appreciate it.

Where do you suggest putting the backpack when settling down in albergue? If not hanging and if not on a corner of bed?

18. highlander

Tyson
    [​IMG] not like this
    [​IMG]or this
    [​IMG]or this. opposite side of room is better on a chair
    [​IMG] this is ok while waiting for albergue to open but wider apart.
    [​IMG] this is better.......improvise and try to think about it when there..Tyson sometimes you no choice.keep all your bits inside your sleeping bag.....earplugs-----book ,shower bag etc when not sleeping....try not to dump all your kit over the place at night......its not the military (sad to say:eek:)as soon as you develop a routine it will be second nature.....

keep as much dry stuff in your dry bag inside your pack......if infected the sun is your friend place clothes inside a dark plastic bag and the heat will build to the needed temp.......a hot wash is not good for tech clothes.

some albergues with one person and a lot of beds just don't have the time to hot wash sheets everyday, and it takes one person to bring them in.........your covered now...anyway you have all the info...the camino is a perfect place for bedbugs.....its a minor irritation.....

Tyson likes this.
  19. Daniel Bowater

Daniel Bowater Member

I did like some of you guys and treated my sleeping bag with permetherin spray prior to my trip. Never had an issue, plus had the comfort of the sleeping bag on cool nights. It got down to under 5 degrees celcius on two nights during my walk. Heres a little clip showing my suggestions with sleeping bag and towel on the camino:

UnkleHammy likes this.