1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bedbugs!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jimmy Lillhaga, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Jimmy Lillhaga

Jimmy Lillhaga New Member

Is it really a problem with bedbugs on the Camino? And if it is.......what can be done to prevent being troubled?

2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

last year i was on camino france. No problem with bedbugs.

3. Jimmy Lillhaga

Jimmy Lillhaga New Member

Thank you!

4. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Also I walked the Camino Frances and to Finisterre and Muxia last year in May and June.

I stayed mostly at Municipal Albergues and had no problems with bedbugs.

5. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    Bed bugs are a problem in any hospitality site. You can search the "bed bugs" subject on this forum, or Google for general information. On the Camino(s), bed bugs have been and still are a sore (literally) subject. Permethrin imbibed gear (backpack, sleeping back, liners, etc.) is often recommended. You can also carefully check out the bed (place) where you intend to stay the night. Some albergues have, unfortunately, a bad bed bug reputation.:rolleyes:

6. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

When I walked the Camino Frances last year Sept- Oct. I experienced no problems with bed bugs. However there was a lot of Chinese Whispers on the subject and its always going to be a potential problem. However, I understand its taken very seriously and when found the accommodation is immediately closed and fumigated.

7. oldman

oldman Oldman Donating Member

Hi Jimmy.
    This will always come up when you have a lot of people sharing the same space, so you should take your owen precautions. In April 2013 i Walked SJPPto Santiago,then to Fnnisterre, Muxia and Ferrol to Santiago then overnight in Santandar on my way home and saw no sign of any bed bugs. Before I started from home i treated my gear with Permethrin and let them blow on the line for a couple of days, then when i got home everything went in the spare Freezer in a black sack for two weeks ,you do not want to bring anything in to your house. I used a divan deep sided sheet that went all the way over the pillow and the whole matress and a silk liner bag only, ( took the sheet instead of the sleeping bag for the weight i only had two cold nights in the 40 days and the weather was unkind snow and frost the first 10 days rain and sleet for the last 10.
    I am off again on the 14th May doing the same treatment.
    Buen Camino
    Oldman (walking again )

8. anjamaria

anjamaria Anjamaria

I have never had problems with the bedbugs. Having walked 4 caminos!

9. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    Lucky you, and nor have I. But that doesn't mean that the problem doesn't exist:eek:
    On many occasions I have seen less fortunate people with the tell-tale "breakfast, lunch and dinner" signs. As hospitalero I know the signs, and have actually seen some of these nasty buggers.
    So just keep an eye out!:rolleyes:

10. Followtheyellowarrows

Followtheyellowarrows New Member

I can personally attest that bedbugs are a problem on the camino! I walked from mid August to the end of September 2014 with 5 travel companions. While we all stayed in the same albergues every night 1 of my travelmates got bedbugs mid way and then she got them a second time in Santiago. I had the bunk above hers that night and got them there as well. Also heard of a few others in that time frame who got them too.

11. ricitosdeplata

ricitosdeplata Member

Do permethrin sprays of liner and sleeping bag protect a g against bed bugs? Should you go as far as treating your backpack and clothing?

12. Rocky

Rocky New Member

Good question. I was just told that the silk bed liners will repel them because they're made of silk. I don't think so, though. The permethrin supposedly works but I have no actual experience or data on that.
    Does anyone know where to find a silk sheet that isn't a wrap around. The wrap around will make me too hot at night. Many thanks for any help on this.
    Buen Camino
    Gregg

13. JFK

JFK Member

We walked April and May. No bed bug problems for us and did not hear of many that did.

Leslie likes this.
  14. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

15. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Like the others, I spray my backpack, silk sleep sheet, inflatable pillow, etc with Sawyer's permethrin and have not had problems with bed bugs on both our caminos. In addition, for our second camino, I bought a "Z clip" and attached this to a lanyard hanging on my neck. This is supposed to create a "dome" of insecticide to keep bugs away. I checked with the manufacturer before our second camino and found out these are effective against bed bugs. So I wore the lanyard around my neck at night with the Z clip attached and this provided some additional protection against bedbugs. My wife and I purchased new ones for our upcoming camino. Bob
    [​IMG]

16. davebugg

davebugg DustOff: "When I Have Your Wounded"

As an insecticide, Permethrin is often recommended to prevent bedbug contact, However, it is not a repellent to bedbugs and so is not effective at preventing bites. There are some insects that are sensitive to permethrin and will avoid contact with it, but bedbugs are among those insects that are not put off by it.

Permethrin coated materials in sleeping bags, sacks, etc, will allow plenty of time for the insect to get its blood meal. Later, the bedbug - if it is not among a subset which has developed a tolerance - will die from contact with the Permethrin. Tolerance to Permethrin is becoming more common in bedbugs these days, just as has already occurred with head lice.

So spraying a Permethrin product into a backpack or sleeping system will reduce the spread of bedbugs if you manage to pick up a hitchhiker, but if one wishes to repel bedbugs before they bite, a repellent product - like DEET - is what would be used.

The risk of being a meal for a bedbug is just as great with, as it is without, permethrin.

UnkleHammy likes this.