1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best App To Use On The Camino ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Aug 15, 2017.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Three weeks from today, we will be enjoying tapas and rioja at Plaza Mayor, relaxing for our camino which begins in St Jean on Sept 8. I've seen several threads regarding good "apps" to down load for the camino. I'm a low tech guy, still worshiping my Blackberry with the tactile keyboard. So I have very few apps loaded and I don't plan to change this. However, my wife, brother and his wife are more tech savvy and are more likely to download apps to help them/us on the camino.

So my question to this forum is what apps have you used and how have you used them? Is this to help you with distance planning, keep you on track, check in with albergues, or what? This won't help me directly, but might help other members of our pilgrim party.

Gracias ! Bob

Garrett likes this.
  2. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Bob

I have the Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim Apps. I like the Buen Camino app for it's maps and use it along the route. It can be a bit temperamental at times but in the main works very well. The Wise Pilgrim App gives a bit more detail on the places you pass through, history etc. I also have Google Maps of course and the other standard iPhone apps including Kindle and iBooks (not that I've use them to any great degree on Camino but useful for reading purposes on the plane/train etc).

Buen Camino

Greg

BROWNCOUNTYBOB and Wily like this.
  3. Galloglaigh

Galloglaigh Member

I'll use HikeSmith for the simple reason you can have quite detailed offline maps. It's based on OpenStreetMap and you plan the route beforehand.

Quite often found myself taking the wrong turn and having to adjust the route. This is helped by having quite a detailed indication of where you are and where you want to go.

I could save a few Euros by not guessing the route but where is the fun in that.

UnkleHammy and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.
  4. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

5. Ryedalerambler

Ryedalerambler Active Member

I agree with Danvo on this - I used this app in 2016 and found it simple to use and very useful for daily planning and finding hostels. The mapping can be downloaded in advance so can be used off line, but is only available for Android, not iPhone

danvo and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.
  6. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Thanks all for the advice. My wife downloaded the Wise Pilgrim app last night. This is great since I have the guidebook so they can supplement each other. She also downloaded Google Translate, which is really easy to use. Simply type a phrase in English in the left hand box and within seconds, it translates to Spanish in the right hand box. My Spanish is a bit rusty, so this should come in handy at times. Bob

Greg Canning likes this.
  7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

A neat feature of Google Translate is that the app can not only quickly translate your English phrases into Spanish, you can click the speaker icon and the app will speak the translation in Spanish!

Greg Canning likes this.
  8. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Bob - Another translator for you and others to check out is Spanishdict.

http://www.spanishdict.com/

I have had this translator app loaded on my iPad for several years now. It does the same basic function as Google Translate, but from my comparison of the two, Spanishdict provides even more information on grammatical constructions, alternate ways of saying the same thing, and additional vocabulary the user might be interested in. There is also the audio component so you can listen to the phrase or word(s) you're interested in. Buen Camino!

BROWNCOUNTYBOB and Greg Canning like this.
  9. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

I used
    • Buen Camino (paid apps )very good
    • Gronze.com (free) very good for description of the stages and albergues.

BROWNCOUNTYBOB likes this.