1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEST Hiking boots,socks and backpack suggestions

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by belloc, May 9, 2008.

1. John Hussey

John Hussey Super Moderator

One's choice of footwear is quite personal. I prefer sandals instead. I have done four Caminos and all were in sandals. The very best I have found, that never seem to wear out, are named "Gobi", made by Source. In April I do the Camino Portugues and will start a new pair of Gobi sandals on it!

2. sean

sean Active Member

Hi John,
    Thank you for your reply. Be careful on the Portuguese Camino, as a lot of the way is on cobblestone and I have seen a few hobble on the cobble wearing light shoes.
    Enjoy your Camino,
    Sean,
    Dublin

3. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Highlander,
    Thank you for the information. I received your PM and also sent a thank you via same.
    Regards,
    Sean,
    Dublin

4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I have had Scapa Boots in the past and they were ok, but I have also used Meindl, Hi-Tech and Merrell to name a few and they were equally OK – For me, the Best I have had are Lowa BUT it All comes down to fit – Different manufactures make slightly different sized boots, some are slightly wider / longer and it comes down to what fits you the best !!
    Therefore, if it were me, I wouldn’t get hung up on a name, just go to a decent outdoor pursuits shop and try lots of different options and choose the ones that fit you best.
    Good Luck and Buen Camino
    Rob

5. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

SEAN was asking about a boot for boggy conditions.......... Revolution-Plus-GTX-Calf-leather-.jpg in IRELAND
    here lies Scarpa the NEW Revolution Plus GT.......when you know what fits.you also have to buy a boot fit for purpose

6. highlander

Sean was asking about boggy conditions in IRELAND . Revolution-Plus-GTX-Calf-leather-.jpg ONCE a person who knows there boots fit then need a boot fit for purpose......meet the Revolution pro Gt By scarpa. don't make them by anybody else

7. John Hussey

Footwear as heavy as the aforementioned are just not warranted, in my estimation, on the Caminos. Keep in mind that for every pound you place upon your feet is like placing 5 to 6.4 pounds upon your back. The Caminos are ideal places to practice lightweight backpacking because so little needs to be carried. Many people now hike them in either sandals or lightweight running shoes. And, thats all that is really needed. In fact, many people now hike the long trails in the US (AT, CDT, PCT, et al.) using such lightweight footwear. Not all, of course, but many do. So, when trying to decide what is best for you, just keep an open mind and don't be led down the path to the heavy "glimmer-style" boots.

But, thats my opinion. I have walked many of the long trails and I did it always wearing some type of sandals designed for trail hiking, running, and/or backpacking.

Shoes are a fairly new innovation for us homo sapiens. Were the truth be known, and could all the previous walkers of the various Caminos, from their earliest beginnings to present, be canvassed, I propose that overwhelmingly, it was sandals of some sort that was used. The Roman empire was crisscrossed with cobblestone roads for the Legions to get from one place in their realm across Europe and North Africa, and those troops all wore sandals. So, think about it

8. highlander

light weight read post.for Ireland BOG.......Most people wear some form of supportive footwear, seen one person wear sandals walking on the camino and a lot of people carry a fair bit of weight who do a long camino and camp as well as walk out of season, sandals are no good for load carrying ......great if you take the bus and have you packed carried by bus,seen lot of those wear sandals. after walking I wear sandal on the beach and walking around town ....when I did all my courses in the military as an officer and now as a Mountain Leader they must of forgot the sandal and wear running shoes part.

if you want a military history lesson about the legion fire away I served in the legion. the french foreign legion and on the Roman legion I did my history degree as part and parcel...lots of Maori wear nothing on there feet by the way.when they travel and today wear no footwear sometimes on building sites....among many many millions of people who don't wear any footwear. I honestly don't no know of have heard of anybody who has done the AP TRAILS or others that wear sandal...........I know of many who have told me they had done those trial in the US and viewing there kit list did not see sandals. never seen anybody or heard of anybody who have done the trails with sandals..no one I know wears sandals doing those trials,no education center mentions sandals for trail walking......

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  9. John Hussey

I stand by my aforementioned post.

You stand by yours if you wish!

10. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Guys,
    No point in beating each other up over my boot query. I am an experienced Camino (10 various trails) and mountain walker. I know everyone has a different view on what is best relating to gear, and especially footwear. I would tend to come down heavily on Highlander's side and agree with boots all the way. There is no way I would consider going into Irish, or any other mountain wearing sandals. My query was to try find out the best pair boots suited to the conditions I know I will be faced with in the West of Ireland. Weight is not an issue, as I will rarely be walking for weeks on end, as on a Camino. My Camino boots are mid weight and suit the conditions.
    Sorry for causing hassle between two of my favorite Camino Bloggers. Happy Christmas and best wishes to you both.
    Regards,
    Sean,
    Dublin

11. highlander

Hearing you loud and clear.......I stand corrected

12. lucymi

lucymi Member

I wear leather boots from the German company Meindl and I wore them in summer on the Camino Poruguese from Porto. They are somewhat similar to the Scarpa boots pictured above and also have a rubber cuff around the base which is great for keeping out the rain. It's not boggy around where I live, but there are a lot of woods and the ground is often quite muddy as it's been raining a lot this winter. I wear my boots quite a lot on my walks and my feet never get wet. Another thing I like about them is the great ankle support. It's on the back of my mind to go walking in Ireland this summer and I'm definitely bringing my Meindl boots with me.

13. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

I bought my first pair of Meindl boots about 15 years ago. Even though they were a tad undersized I loved them. I'm now on my second pair (right size) which I wear with two pairs of socks - inner thin wool mix, outer heavy pure wool. I wore them on the Camino Francés in 2012 and found them ideal. Yes, they also give excellent ankle support. Living in Ireland I get plenty of wet walking and the Meindls are as good as you'll get for such terrain. By the way, I think Meindl is an Austrian company.

Having said that, choice of footwear is a completely individual matter. But it's critically important to comfort, even to survival in extreme conditions.

14. lucymi

lucymi Member

Hello Hobbler, another thing I liked so much about my boots, is that my feet didn't get hot and sweaty and there were some really hot days in Portugal in June. Each evening when I finished walking I took out the insoles to air them. I also keep them well waxed as I'd like to have them for a few years more.

15. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

My boots and socks were a similar setup to Hobblers. On the Camino This year from the end of May to early July the weather was hot and dry nearly all the way with temperatures up to the high 20's and low 30's.

I wore my Braisher Hillmaster GTX leather boots with thin wool inner socks and heavy smartwool oversocks. My feet were very comfortable. No sore patches, no blisters. They did get hot and sweaty but a shower and clean socks every day at the end of the walk was a real pleasure!!

Next year I will be using my Merrell Moab Mids with the same inner wool socks and medium smartwool oversocks. Just as comfortable, slightly lighter and a little cooler.

16. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

I agree with lucymi; taking the insoles out of the boots at the end of each day's walking is very important.

Devon Mike, I tried Brasher boots on the recommendation of Nicholas Crane but found them too rigid. I guess foot-support is a very personal choice.

17. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Each to their own Hobbler. We all have different feet and need to find what best suits us. I also remove the insoles every time I take my boots off in order to properly air and dry out the insides.

18. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I don’t think that footwear is something that anyone will get universal agreement on as there are just too many imponderables, We all have different feet and what might well be “Perfect” for one user, might be incredibly uncomfortable for another.
    My own feet are quite wide, so, Personally, the boots that fit me the best (That I have come across so far) are Lowa, I used a pair of these for my 1,000 mile Camino this year and I was very impressed. One section of my route (Approx 100 miles) was on The Pennine Way and was Pure Bog, while other sections were on roads, canal towpaths, tracks etc and my feet were comfortable and on the entire Camino, I didn’t get a single blister. – So hence my Happiness with them :)

IMG_2203.jpg

On an earlier Camino, I wore my Meindl’s and although they were great when I set off,the narrower construction cramped my feet, this wasn’t helped by higher than average temperatures which casued my feet to swell and after a while I did get blisters – But I had previously trekked to Everest Base Camp in the same boots without issue.

Previous to my Lowa and Meindl boots, I have tried various different makes with different levels of “Success” – But just because a particular boot didn’t suit me, I accept that the self same boot might well be perfect for another and visa-versa .

Another factor is budget – As I spend a reasonable amount of time walking, I accept that I now have to pay towards £200 for a pair of top quality boots – But if someone is only walking a fairly short Camino and doesn’t expect to get a lot of use for their boots afterwards, they might not wish to spend nearly as much – Hi-Tech make some reasonably decent cheaper end boots that Might suit some.
    As already stated, footwear is a personal choice and if we can all agree on that, then it might well save arguments in the future.
    Seasons Greetings to one and all
    Rob

19. etthejet

etthejet Member

Has anyone tried Treksta hiking shoes?

20. rayaqui

rayaqui New Member

I am currently in the same situation looking for a pair good hiking shoes and came across Dolomite - Gardena WP.

Any opinions about this brand?

Thanks,

Ray

21. highlander

I hope you like reading
    I have seen them Italian design for forest and trails......if your know your game.long through trail walking-back packing-day hiking or just the camino and your feet are good to go and you know what works for your feet after regular checks up and re measuring to monitor any displacement and so on.
    and what is suitable for a longer walk like the camino in the season your intend to go. Then Brand does play a part...

some footwear companies make and produce ill fitting footwear that may look good for fashion but off little for the end user to walk around your local hills or forest trails.....

high end brands that have a fierce reputation to keep have a lot of money to put into research and stores with staff who test those products out help promote the brand.....and bad news travels fast. if they do the job for you and you have tried them, maybe it is us who will be looking towards you for opinions.....I wear a variety of brands for varied reasons....and with some of my boots B1 B2 you can have them resoled again once more so long as they have not worn beyond a certain level. otherwise the crampon fix is damaged.

with a good leather upper for example and the possibility of resoling(not always possible) then you gain a extended longer life and benefit from having the upper well and truly broken in. providing you have looked after the upper......with the pair you ask about. man made ...can be made a lot lighter......using a heavy boot in sensitive nature trails in high summer can damage and erode the paths (not the camnio).......the brand you mention do not make cheaply constructed crude footwear.....as you know its a lottery just picking footwear.

back to the basics ....not been walking recently could be a time for a free check up on the feet..even some medication can make your feet swell if you on meds daily....for me those boots offer some ankle support....but not for me because I do a lot of extended heavy lift carrying to reach a remote base camp then need the sole construction solid almost non-flex sole for ice and snow.. for the camino.. I have to consider the long term use of my feet because with exception on this month and Jan, a part of February I will be away all year...so for the camnio.I use higher ankle support and a very light weight construction which cost money(I only use them for one camino)..most people need to be more economical and find a better compromise.......we can spend thousands on all this kit.. and you could save someones life with a fraction of what we spend on those items...also we need value for money.......knowing your feet ,finding out then what works for you , then finding the place to buy them at the price for you...one way i justify all the thousands I spend every year on kit & footwear is to do charity work by raising funds so there is a two way process for some parts of the year...

Shering likes this.
  22. highlander

which ones....some look a lot like Merrell moab.....which I know many love to wear....I own Merrel ventilator which I use on my boat and for cycling.......if you mean Treska hiking shoe not boot,then both the shoe and boot replicate the Merrel Moab boot and the Merrel Ventilator shoe,the reviews on the Treska shoe suggest a good generic fit....with the lone critic you find saying they don't last long.

as long as your going light weight not heavy laden late spring to Autumn...why not... of course do the "feet check" in store first......as always..

those type of footwear look good, comfortable to travel in and good for day long assaults on the camino...providing you take care on the uneven stony sections going into Triacastela if they last the whole camnio they have done the job..price seems fair

23. etthejet

etthejet Member

Thanks, Highlander. I do remember your first advice about having a proper fit and spending time walking around for an hour or more, will be sure to do this. Will try other shoes as well, as I just want the right shoe for my feet for the Camino. I just started getting some tendinitis in my right achilles. It's not horrible, but I saw that Sean from Dublin uses an ankle strap so will use one of those, too. I just bought one today. Also have orthotic inserts. I am walking some now, but mostly have my bike on the wind trainer inside and am lifting weights as it is really cold and snowy in these Vermont, U.S.A. hills right now. Will start training seriously in March for the mid-September Camino.

Thanks again!

24. rayaqui

rayaqui New Member

Thank you Highlander for your feedback. I read your mail very carefully ....I appreciate your helpful advice....i find it very useful at this time of preparation.

To be honest I am more keen on a Solomon type ...however the selection is presently very limited locally. I could look for a good model over internet but I feel that this is not the way when coming to shoe selection. One has to be sure about the right fit. Moreover as etthejet said one has to make the feet check in the store prior to purchase.

Could you please suggest a brand or a model of Solomon ?:confused:

Thanks and Kind regards,

Ray:)

Meanwhile I thank Via Lusitana for the helpful information.

25. highlander

I will Pm you some info so you can read countless reviews to back these boots up.
    SALOMON QUEST 4D GTX.

with out exception I have seen outdoor instructors/trainers and teachers when ever I am at Glenmore Lodge in Scotland Cairngorms Mountain Training center or in Wales Plas y Brenin....and most wear these or own a pair in addition to a pair of mountain boots..outside of winter conditions

There are classified as a Hill walking boot.very lightweight and covers virtual all the needs the camino throws up. outside of winter conditions
    good ankle support when laced correctly comes in half sizes....when you read over 90 reviews from users you can see why.....
    if you want the sister shoe to these, since you mentioned salomon no ankle support(if your going ultra light) . Soloman X-ultra....which are a approach shoe..( for a INTERNET buy) for a lightweight boot to risk trying if you have very little selection in Malta and a boot that needs No breaking in and you want to take the chance....Berghaus Explorer Trex GTX (ideal for a wider foot also)works for so very many for years. same as Merrel Moab...... The key aftercare and daily care for these types of footwear on a dusty camino in high summer is to hoover/vacuum all the collected dust and micro dirt parts out of the vent pores from the outside...and wash the laces then store when you get home. and I do this daily on camino good shake off with a cut down toothbrush after walking is ideal for this. a quick gently run over with a new soft toothbrush.no water...remove tiny parts of stones daily from tread. takes a few minutes and a good habit your forget you even doing it will prolong the life of these types...going to pm you back now also.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  26. rayaqui

rayaqui New Member

Hi User,

I was considering seriously the Salomon Quest 4 GTX and read the countless reviews about these very good boots. However could not find my size locally and was a bit unsure about size when buying online. Considering this I managed to purchase the lightweight Salomon Ultra X Mid GTX (which you also recommended) from our local supplier. Although a bit more expensive locally I am now sure about the fit and also had proper measurement of my feet and had Supperfeet Copper DMP premium insoles fitted considering that I have high foot arches.

I thank you for your precious advise and also thank Highlander for all his several constructive messages.

Best regards and Buen Camino,

Ray

27. SueR

SueR Guest

I have a question about some boots I bought recently: Salomon Quest 4D GTX. I've had them for a few weeks and have been wallking in them about 8km/day. They feel good overall, but lately I've been getting a pain on the top of one of my feet towards the little toe side, where the boot flexes at the last part of my step. is this something I should be concerned about, is it maybe the wrong boot for me? I'm guessing that this will go away once the boots are more broken in...
    Sue

28. highlander

Sue

you brought them over the internet remember because they were not available in store.....you need to go back to the shop and take your boots with you...it sounds like a slight stretch in store in the toe box might do the trick. although there is a lot of flex there anyway. there are half sizes in these boots which could also sort this out.

Before you do this. try this... count three cleats down from the top. push your foot back on the foot feeling the problem, so that is moving your heel back firmly.then cross tie firmly but not tight to hold the foot then lace up to the top and tie off. this will secure the mid sole from moving forward .,great for descending.. try this

try this with a thinner sort also....this could of been picked up in store if the boot was available when you went.
    REI should be stocking the light weight boot you have but with sensifit. like this boot
    [​IMG]
    so the cleat set back is were you cross tie first then tie off and bow at the top.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    gdavisfe likes this.
  29. SueR

SueR Guest

Highlander,
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    Sue

30. geraldkelly

geraldkelly Member

Home Page:
    Hi Sue

Like you say, it might go away once you have them broken in. I agree with Highlander that you should try lacening in different ways. It might help. only trial and error will tell.

Also, what kind of socks are you wearing? Maybe try a different kind.

You might also find if you don't wear them for a few days and then go back to them. the problem might have solved itself. Breaking in a pair of boots can take a while so patience is important.

Gerald

highlander likes this.