1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Insole...?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by danvo, Feb 9, 2018.

1. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Caminoists, this my question is (mainly) for Merrell Moab owners, but not only - what insole did you used on your camino? Have you any recommendations? Thanks!

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Danvo - For my Merrell Moabs, as well as my trail running shoes, I use the Superfeet insoles. With that said, you need to know that they do come in a number of configurations depending on your feet and gait. I was lucky enough to get fitted at a running store for my Superfeet. And although they were first fitted to my running shoes, the same insoles worked fine in my Merrells. In fact, I never take them out! If you were to go with the Superfeet insoles, I hope there is a venue near you where you can try several different ones to see which fit best. Good luck and Buen Camino!

3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I used Superfeet and was happy with them. I didn't try any of their competitors.

4. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

LOVE my Merrells and used Air Plus plantar fascia orthotic insoles. Worked great.

5. UnkleHammy

Campmor.com is currently having a sale on rather large Osprey packs.

danvo and Ginamarie like this.
  6. danvo

thank you, all, very much! Will try to find them in shop near me. ... and - Buen (next) Camino to you, too :)

7. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Danvo

I may be a bit late but for clarity I used the Superfett insoles (blue) in my MerrellMoabs and I love them. There different colours ranging from little arch support to greater arch support. If you can get to a shop to try them out all the better. The blue ones are kinda mid-range.

Buen Camino

Greg

8. Richard

Richard New Member

I checked out the Merrell Moab 2 GTX today.
    Are the insoles deemed inferior for the need to replace? Or are they getting replaced for medical reasons?
    I bought the shoes and will trial them as supplied. The shop assistant seemed to think they were good quality?

9. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Richard

The insoles in the moab2s are pretty good but I replaced mine with the Superfeet. It’s not that the Merrell insoles are bad just that I found the Superfeet provide great support. I find my feet don’t ache so much after a long day’s walking.

Buen Camino

Greg

10. Wily

Hey Richard - Let me second what Greg said. I do NOT have any particular problem with my feet. However, I have found the Superfeet Insoles to give me extra support both running and hiking. As Greg indicated, I, too, think that the Merrell insoles are good, but Superfeet are better. I checked mine out and I was fitted with the yellow ones. From my experience, these particular shoes and insoles are a great combination as long as you get fitted for the insole that best fits your feet. Buen Camino!
    PS, If you haven’t already purchased them, I think you’re wise to go with the GTX model. You’ll appreciate the waterproofing when it’s need.

danvo, Ginamarie and Greg Canning like this.
  11. danvo

Hi Richard, here in Slovakia I found Moab 1 GTX on sale (below 60€) but in home I found that there are not same insoles (Ortholite) as in my previous Moabs (don't know why) so I need to replace them with any "normal" insoles :D

Greg Canning likes this.
  12. danvo

Hi Greg, thank you! It help me a lot! :) I was focused on green, but I will try blue too, if it will be possible.

Greg Canning likes this.
  13. UnkleHammy

I used orange

14. Janade

Janade New Member

This may be a silly question, but is I purchased a pair of Superfeet insoles, I would remove the insoles from my Moabs and then replace them with the Superfeet insoles, correct? I currently just have the regular Moab insoles and then I added a thin foam "insole" on top -- however, on a long hike my heels especially start to hurt (and my long hikes are about half the length of a long stage on the Camino).

Wily likes this.
  15. UnkleHammy

When I got mine the clerk that fitted the super feet removed the old liner and then replaced it. I am wearing Keens that I got from REI and the super feet from a random shoe store.

Greg Canning, danvo and Wily like this.
  16. Wily

Hey Janade - As you can see from this thread, four of us use four different Superfeet insoles. That’s why it’s so important to get fitted so you get ones that are best for your feet. You’ll want to take your shoes/boots with you to where you buy the insoles. Mine fit perfectly right out of the box, but I did try our a half dozen different ones to make sure they felt right. It’s really as simple as removing those that came with your Merrell’s and slidding in the new ones. You should immediately see, due to harder construction material, that they give your feet more support. Buen Camino!

17. Richard

Richard New Member

Try these exercises to alleviate the pain https://www.verywell.com/stretching-exercises-for-plantar-fasciitis-2549946

Janade likes this.
  18. akshay ortho

akshay ortho New Member

My husband needs in his size and width and with Velcro closings. Due to his work he also goes through shoes at a fast rate. We depend on orhofeet for the shoes that keep him comfortable and allow him to wear for both work and leisure. I always order from your site and never have a problem. On the one hand, Orthofeet is foot problems footwear and on other end the most comfortable orthotic-friendly sandals, I have ever owned. The orthotics slip inside a compartment underneath a removable inner sole, leaving your toes free to breathe. The thick soles add bounce and comfort to your step. They are a dream for the feet!

19. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Both caminos I wore Patagonia hiking shoes that are very similar to Merrell Moab hi-tops. On camino one, the insole on the right boot kept slipping up my ankle, requiring me to take off my boot at rest stops and set it back in place. This happened several times each day and was quite annoying. I finally took the insole out and had no problems the rest of the camino.

I had read many positive reviews on Superfeet, so I ordered a green set on Amazon. I cut them to the size of my Patagonia boot. The insoles seemed very stiff and uncomfortable even after wearing them for awhile. Just a week before my second camino, I learned about the different colors of insoles. I have fairly flat feet, so realized the green set might not work. I did not have time to order another set on line, so I went to Dicks Sporting Goods and found a competitor model, color blue, for flat feet. They seemed comfortable from the start. As a precaution, I decided to bring along the set of insoles from the Patagonia shoes.

Within a few days of walking our second camino, I began to develop blisters on several toes. It seems the insoles were pushing my toes up into the top of the toe box. A day or two later, I developed a large and painful blister on the ball of my left foot. I removed the Superfeet and put the original Patagonia soles back in. I used duct tape to secure the insoles into the boots to keep the right one from riding up. Worked like a champ and I didn't get blisters for the rest of the way.

Lesson learned per Wiley's advice is to get professional help in fitting your insoles. Also, be sure to break them in prior to your camino. I donated my Patagonia boots to a Honduran orphanage (mission trip I made in February). I bought a new pair of Merrell Moab high tops and the insoles that came with the shoes seem comfortable. I will be sure to break the shoes and insoles in prior to camino frances #3 in the fall of 2019. Bob

Crepes4Suzette, Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  20. grayland

grayland Member

I used green Superfeet for years on various caminos and was very happy. I did change a few caminos ago to SOLES. I do like them a bit better. My wife's foot doctor put me on to them. He showed me on my Superfeet insoles that my foot was actually hitting all across the insole...easy to see on dirty insoles.
    The SOLE product is heated in the oven (yes) then you put them in shoe and stand on them for a few minutes and they mold to your foot. Easy and convenient to use.

UnkleHammy and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.