1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"best Place" To Stay On Day 1 Of The Camino

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Maurice Marr, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    I am new to the forum. We plan to stay the first night at Beilari, 40 Rue de la Citadelle, for Day 0 and possibly Day 1 since we will fly from Austin Texas. The question is where to stop on Day 1. a) Orisson b) Orreaga Roncesvalles. I will base much of the trip, if not all 32 days, on a book by Leslie Gilmour .

wayne/barbara marr

2. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Depends on your hiking ability and the time of the year. If you have any doubt about your energy level after a long flight, then stay at Orisson, otherwise go all the way over the hills. I stayed at Orisson many, if not most, go all the long way on the difficult first day. If there is bad weather the high pass may be closed and you will have to take the Van Carlos route.

James Orrock and Ginamarie like this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hi Maurice - Welcome to the Forum. As you point put, there are the two options once you leave SJPP. Orisson is approximately 8 kms. out of SJPP. It's not a long hike, but it is the steepest part of the climb on the Napoleon Route. If you choose to stop there, and a reservation is a must, you can leave SJPP late morning and be in Orisson a couple hours later to enjoy rest of the afternoon and a nice dinner.

As there are only 30+ beds in Orisson, most pilgrims walk all the way to Roncesvalles the first day. It's a long, tough first day but very doable. If you leave early morning, you can make it to the albergue by mid-afternoon. It's a large albergue, but it does fill up particularly during the busy months. If you're in good shape and like a challenging day, go all the way. Hopefully you'll have good weather so as to enjoy some of the best views on the Camino.

I walked the Camino in 31 days which was pretty quick. Your 32 day plan isn't much different. In that period of time there aren't any rest days. If possible, I'd recommend that you minimally take 35 days to walk the CF. You might also want to check out the Brierley guidebook that bases the trek on a 34 day plan. Plan for the unexpected and build in a few extra days if you're not too pressed for time. Buen Camino!

4. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    UnkleHammy. My wife is in good shape. I am walking more. We plan to start late May. And I suspect stopping at Orisson.

wayne

5. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    Hi Wily. Thanks for the heads-up. I will be 61 and my wife will be 60 when we walk.

wayne

6. UnkleHammy

And I am 74. Be sure to hydrate. At Orisson several people called a taxi and quit.

7. Wily

Hey Wayne - I was 64 last spring when I walked. You'll find a large contingency of us "older folks" walking the Camino. My wife and I are heading to walk the Camino Portugués in the spring. My best advice to you and your wife is to get into as good of shape as possible. Anything you do now will pay big dividends on the Camino. The conditioning will help you on the tougher walking days, but it will also help you deal with the general fatigue factor that builds up after weeks of walking. My biggest mistake regarding my training was not to have walked wearing my backpack. Train walking with a loaded pack! I'd also recommend keeping the weight of your pack as low as possible. "To walk far, carry less." The Camino is a 500 mile walk. It's not a race, so slow and steady wins the day!

8. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    Thanks. We have started -- though my wife, Barbara, doesn't need much help. However, work with the pack is good. I have done winter hiking/climbing but it's been about 5 to 6 years.

wayne

9. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    It's nice to know there are "mature" pilgrims.

10. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    And another vote for spending your fist night at Orisson –By staying there, you can have a bit of a lay in to help you recover from your long journey and then explore Saint Jean Pied de Port before you hit the trail – I would suggest that you take an early lunch in Saint Jean Pied de Port and then head up to Orisson.

Just make sure you book your beds as far in advance as you possibly can !!

The Camino shouldn’t be treated as some sort of race or route march – Take your time – “Smell the flowers” and ENJOY

Best Regards

Rob

11. Rob Hallam

Rob Hallam Member

Home Page:
    As Wily mentioned, 32 days is certainly not undoable but 34-35 days would definitely give you a little leeway if something doesn't go quite as planned. Of course if 32 days is all you have then I would suggest leaving early and skipping Orisson. Day 1's walk to Roncesvalles may be strenuous, but slow and steady will still get you there in time for a bed.

Buen Camino!

12. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    Thank you.Rob.
    I think we will be stopping!

13. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Good plan, the Camino should be savored, not rushed through. Allow yourself the time to learn the lessons that you are suppose to learn.

14. Rob Hallam

Rob Hallam Member

Home Page:
    Ultreia, Wayne!

15. Ryedalerambler

Ryedalerambler Active Member

I also suggest you stay at Orisson - the first few km are quite steep and it may be a good idea to break yourself in slowly, particularly after a long flight. Apart from that Orisson is an excellent hostel where you will find a good communal meal!
    You will need to book well in advance though. Buen Camino.

James Orrock and RJS like this.
  16. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    Thank you. Do you know the grade of the walk. Thx. wayne

17. Wily

The 26 km. first stage from SJPP to Roncesvalles has an elevation change of approximately 1,200 meters. Although I don't know that I've actually seen what the actual grade is, it is considerably steeper the first 8 km. to Orisson than it is rest of the way to the peak at the Col de Lepoeder. The uphill section of this stage is 20.5 kms. From Orisson to the top, it is a paved path making hiking a bit easier. With that said, due to the limited number of beds in Orisson, most pilgrims make the challenging trek in a single day. It's hard work, but very doable particularly if you're prepared for it. Here's a good link giving you a detailed description of the first stage. The last 5 kms. or so are downhill and it's best to keep on the road rather than take the path through the woods (although it adds a bit to the descent).

Just as a personal note, it was my favorite single day on the Camino!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    James Orrock and AnnaKlura like this.
  18. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    Thank you Wily.

I think my wife and would become bored only going 8K. I know not to rush but I don't if we want to sit around all day. I know it much be a beautiful section but we have lived in Alaska for a decade with the Alaskan Mountain Range and Denali are not too far away.

wayne

19. UnkleHammy

Here are a set of elevation charts.

Attached Files:

James Orrock, Maurice Marr and Wily like this.
  20. Ryedalerambler

Ryedalerambler Active Member

and a link to a recent YouTube video of the Orisson stage which will give you an idea......

Kinnear, James Orrock, LoryQ and 6 others like this.
  21. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    Thanks. Very good. I will show my wife this evening....

22. Wily

Hey Wayne - 8 kms. can be done by pretty quickly even uphill. I was hiking that first day with a young couple and I think we got to Orisson in about two hours. It was the perfect stop for coffee and something to eat. Even if you slow it down a bit, I can't imagine not making it in three hours. If you were to get there at least by mid-morning, I agree with you that I, too, wouldn't want to sit around rest of the day. I was so excited to start the Camino that first morning that stopping wasn't even a consideration. Leave SJPP early, plan a break in Orisson, and then push on. I'd advise you to pack a lunch as well. Take your second break further up toward the Col de Lepoeder and enjoy a picnic before heading rest of the way to Roncesvalles. Hopefully, you'll be blessed with the same beautiful weather I hiked in that day to cross the Pyrenees.

23. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    You and Ryedalerambler sold me. I think that makes a lot of sense. Buen Camino (translated , I will be back with many more questions. ;)

Be good. wayne

24. Wily

Hey Wayne - This 2-page document Unklehammy posted is a nice quick reference to the elevations of all the Camino stages. I know that Day 1 looks intimidating, but you'll do just fine. Brierley also has a similar elevation chart for each stage in his guidebook. Between the two documents, you'll always know what is in front of you.

James Orrock likes this.
  25. anniem

anniem Active Member

I am with you Wayne
    I walked last year I was 70 and we tossed up whether to stop in Orisson. we decided not to and when we got there for early lunch we knew we had made the right decision . There is a beautiful view to look at and not much more. we were itching to get going and it is a tough day but a brilliant one as well. It was a huge satisfaction to get to Ronscavalles that first day. Buen Camino

James Orrock likes this.
  26. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    Thank you anniem. Best wishes. I love this forum. One of the best I have used. :)

James Orrock likes this.
  27. Randy Dickow

Randy Dickow Donating Member Donating Member

Last year (at 70) went the full distance on the first day. Very doable, but tough at the beginning and on parts of the descent. This year, another year older, stopped in Orisson. I had reserved that and a day three stop in Akerreta. This was based on an expected very late arrival in SJPdP after a long flight from the States. As it turned out Iberia changed my flight by a whole day, so I arrived in SJPdP having had two nights sleeps! I could have easily made the trip to Roncesvalles in one day, but my previous reservations could not be changed. Left SJPdP at 11 and arrived in Orisson at 1310, so while the climb is steep, it's short. The normal views from Orisson are phenomenal, but this year we were in the clouds/fog/mist. Different, but enjoyable nevertheless.

28. Maurice Marr

Maurice Marr Member

Home Page:
    Thank you Randy.

71 years old now; hope to reach that milestone and enjoy it along the way. We don't know yet how we are traveling. I suspect flying from Austin to Madrid and then to SJPdP. What is in Akerreta for you to stay 3 days. Just curious.

Thanks again. wayne

29. Randy Dickow

Randy Dickow Donating Member Donating Member

Explained poorly. Was in Akeretta on Day 3, not 3 days. I know the owner of the Hotel there which is why I stayed there. The only reason to stay there 3 days would probably be an injury of some kind! Not much there.

30. freetobe

freetobe Member

What does well in advance mean re: booking times
    How far in advance should one think of booking