Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Best practices on footcare generally and daily

Discussion in 'Medical Problems' started by belloc, May 9, 2008.

1. belloc

belloc New Member

Dear all

There are many approaches suggested for footcare to avoid blisters and how to deal with them when and if

I was hoping people could share their suggested preventive practices

Thanks
    Mark

2. Jaminmama

Jaminmama New Member

3. Susan

Susan New Member

Hi Belloc:

I work as a volunteer medic at a two-week event where the visitors do a lot of walking, so I mostly see foot injuries. By far, the biggest reason for blisters is wearing foot gear that has not been "broken in" properly. I would not buy a new pair of hiking boots and wear them for the first time when you set out on this trip.

I would also advise a few pair of socks that are designed to absorb moisture. Personally, I like socks that are "cushioned" in the heel and ball of the foot.

Keep your socks and feet clean whenever possible, and you should be fine.

Best regards, Susan

Woodchild likes this.
  4. John Hussey

John Hussey Super Moderator

Blister Avoidance

1. Fully break in your footwear beforehand, whatever you wear, including trail runners or sandals.
    2. Start off slow at the beginning of your trek and slowly build up the miles until some days have past and your feet have become accustomed to the new wear & tear you are placing upon them. If you start out too fast, blisters almost certainly will develop.
    3. At the first sign of a 'hot spot', or pre-blister, immediately stop and cover it with band aide, moleskin, or whatever so as to arrest the friction causing the blister's further development.
    4. Wear good wicking wool socks designed for trekking, ie., Bridgedale, Smartwool, etc.,. Wear ultra-thin polypro liner socks underneath them (and in addition to) if you are especially prone to blisters. NEVER wear cotton socks! In fact, unless it is in the heat of summer don't wear cotton anything as it absorbs water and is slow to dry. As socks they are so slow to dry they turn the foot's skin into a wrinkled prune, quick to blister. Wool wicks, cotton absorbs.
    5. Take at least two pairs. Wear one during the day, wash it in the evening and put on your clean, dry pair to wear that evening and the following day, after your shower, while the pair just washed dries, perhaps attached to the outside of your pack. Next evening don the clean, dry pair and wash the ones worn that day.

Woodchild and danvo like this.
  5. howardd5

howardd5 Member

I have walked three Caminos wearing teva hiking sandals, sometimes with socks and occasionally with shoes,but no blisters. You never build up moisture or heat.you do get the occasional stone& then do a little dance to free it But it sure works for me. On earlier trips i got numerous painful blisters. Darrell

danvo likes this.
  6. superfast

superfast New Member

Getting some decent insoles and getting your gait analyzed to spot any bio mechnical imbalances is always a good idea.. although some times custom insoles can over support your feet I find

7. Armorel

Armorel Active Member

Keep the skin dry! This means working out what combination of boots/shoes/ socks works for you, by trial and error. Cushioned socks or 2 layers of socks are not right for everyone.
    As stated above at the first sign of a hot spot, cover with a thin plaster.
    Take off boots and socks every couple of hours and air your feet. If socks are a bit sweaty, change them then.
    Custom orthotics may help if there is biomechanical instability, causing too much shear inside the footwear. See a podiatrist if you're not sure.
    Different lacing styles can hold the foot firmly within the boot. Google this.

Woodchild likes this.
  8. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Armorel
    I always took my boots off to air my feet whenever I stopped at a cafe/bar for a breakfast, and lunch or when I stopped for mid morning & afternoon drink.

See you at Rabanal

Raymond John

9. Armorel

Armorel Active Member

Can't wait, Raymond John!

10. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Darrell - I'm impressed that you've walked 3 Caminos in Teva hiking sandals. I wore good hiking shoes, but still developed tremendous blisters. I love Tevas! In fact, I'm wearing mine right now as I travel around Mexico. I've gone to the Teva website and they list a number of hiking sandals. Would there be one in particular that you would recommend? Their Omnium Leather seems like it might be a possibility. Thanks.

11. Randy Dickow

Randy Dickow Donating Member Donating Member

Based on previous comments on t his forum, i purchased Teva Toachi2 sandals. I have hiked in them up to 15 miles, sockless, with no issues. You do do the d a nce once in a while to get rid of stuff, but not a big problem. I plan on alternating using my Merrill shoes and these sandals on my upcoming Camino. (36 days until departure.)

danvo and Wily like this.
  12. Wily

Thanks Randy. I will certainly spend some time looking into these. From what I've read so far, the reviews are very good. Knowing you've walked as far as 15 miles in them is also a good recommendation. The Sierra Trading Post website offers them for $49.95 which seems like a great price. Let us know on the Forum how you do in yours. Buen Camino!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  13. Randy Dickow

Randy Dickow Donating Member Donating Member

That is a very good price! (I might get a 2nd pair, but I've read they last forever!)

One thing I like about them is the main strap, in addition to he hook & loop closure, has a clasp closure. Once you have all three straps adjusted as you want, you don't have to redo every time you put them on.

They are ok for wet conditions (not leather) and the footbed has arch support, heel cup and padded well. The sole is like a hiking shoe/boot so traction was not an issue.

Hmmm, I wonder if I should come out of retirement as a PR flak for Teva?

14. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Randy, i think your sandals are good choice. Merrels as alternative shoes are very good too :)

15. Wily

I have to tell you guys that in May, I walked in a high quality Keen hiking shoe and had terrible blisters. I don't completely blame the shoes as I may not have tended to my blisters correctly when they started (it appears that everyone on the Camino has a different opinion on blister care). Nevertheless, I like Randy's suggestion and experience with hiking Tevas. I also plan on exploring a good trail running shoe as my alternative on my next Camino.

16. JTD

JTD Member

Home Page:
    Footwear is something I am starting to think about now. I have a pair of Karrimor walking shoes which I wear everyday so are well broken in - however, my feet sweat excessively so I am thinking of a sandal. When I walked in 2012 I ended up throwing my boots away and walking most of the way in my Karrimor Sandals which I had actually taken with me for evening/shower etc. This was fine, but I had to wear socks with the sandals due to the rubber(?) sole which became horrible and slimy without socks. Socks and sandals don't really look great together!
    Is there a type of sandal that would be better to wear without socks that might handle sweaty feet better? Or perhaps there is a way to stop my feet sweating so much but I'm not sure about that one. I was considering getting some kind of strong underarm antiperspirant and trying it on my feet?!

hindsfeet, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  17. Wily

Hey JTD - A Camino friend swears that his use of an antiperspirant on his feet has kept him blister free on his long walks. As an antiperspirant is designed to reduce moisture, it makes sense that it works on the feet as well as other body areas. Although more expensive, I used Body Glide in my feet daily. Same idea: it reduces moisture.

As far as the look goes, I wear socks with sandals regularly (mostly due to colder temperatures). I don't think anyone will judge you regarding "your look." If you have sandals that work for you for long distance walking, go with them. If socks make them even more comfortable, it sounds like you have a winning pair for your Camino. As you've walked a Camino before, you know that none of us are out there to make a fashion statement. Buen Camino!

hindsfeet, UnkleHammy and JTD like this.
  18. JTD

JTD Member

Home Page:
    Hi Wily,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was conscious when writing my post that it may get some "the camino is not a fashion parade" type of replies! Haha! I am my own worst enemy. I'm out to impress no-one, but I have an unhealthy worry of what others are thinking about me and the sock sandal combination, while functional, did make me feel like I looked a bit odd. But you are right, if it works, I should just do what is right for me and stop worrying what others think. Indeed, there may be others wearing socks with sandals but I didn't notice, and realistically they probably didn't notice mine either.. Some food for thought - thank you.

I have been looking at socks that have toes, a bit like gloves. I may try some of those to stop my toes rubbing together. I've not heard of Body Glide so I'll look that up in a moment.

Thanks again,

Jimmy.

Wily likes this.
  19. Wily

Hey Jimmy - I have gone with toe socks and love them. Take a look at the mid-weight socks by Injinji. Last month in Portugal, I alternated between wearing my toe socks and traditional Moreno wool socks. No blisters!!! What I like about the toe sock is that it keeps your toes from rubbing together. When I walked the Francés, that's where my blister problem began. The toe socks feel a bit strange at first, but you'll quickly gets used to them. I got mine off Amazon. Give them a try! They'll look sharpe with sandals! :)

Crepes4Suzette and JTD like this.
  20. JTD

JTD Member

Home Page:
    Haha! Well in that case I'm definitely getting a few pairs! Gotta look sharp on the Camino!;)

I've never tried wool socks. I assumed they'd make my feet too hot so although I bought two pairs of hiking socks last time, I left them at home. I'll get myself some of those Injinji socks, thanks for the recommendation. I still have my sandals from 2012 in a cupboard so I may use them again if the velcro is still ok on them.

Crepes4Suzette, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  21. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Well, Wily.........except for C4S attempt!!!

Crepes4Suzette, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  22. Susan

Susan New Member

JTD, I read somewhere that Europeans think we are weird for NOT wearing socks with sandals. So you would be most "in-step" with fashion. (groan!) Whether or not this is true, the health and care of your feet is of paramount importance. I cannot stress this enough. If wearing footwear with lime-green feathers makes your feet comfortable and blister-free, then for gosh sakes, wear them!

23. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

JTD, if it helps, the last two years there have been people in almost every sport-shoe combination imaginable, many hiking in their evening shoes on "bad feet days": boots, hiking shoes, trail runners, hiking sandals, strappy sandals, flip-flops, Converse, SLIPPERS and pool shoes, socks and no socks. Someone said they saw a woman "doing the Camino" with a limousine driver and high heels. Your socks won't get a second look, even if they're day-glo chartreuse:0)).

JTD, RJS, Wily and 1 other person like this.