1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biarritz To Irun

Discussion in 'Camino del Norte' started by SussexGeezer, Jul 25, 2016.

1. SussexGeezer

SussexGeezer New Member

Hello:

I'm arriving at Biarritz airport at 4:00 pm on August 14th on the way to Irun to start the Camino del Norte. Biarritz looks like an expensive place to spend the night so I have a few questions:
    1. Can I get to Irun on the 14th given my arrival time?
    2. If so what's the recommended way, bus/train/etc?
    3. Are there recommended accommodations in Biarritz (should I stay there) and Irun (should I get there)?

I'm looking forward to starting my second camino (Frances 2014) and meeting fellow travellers on the way to Santiago.

Thanks Chris

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Lots of direct trains from Biarritz to Hendaye http://www.raileurope-world.com/train-tickets/journey-insights/article/biarritz-hendaye and it’s only about a ½ hour journey costing from around 9 Euro

You could either then walk over the border to Irun, or stay the night in Hendaye – I have walked two Caminos out of Irun and stayed at the Refugio there both times, its popular so might be full by the time you get there though !!!

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

danvo likes this.
  3. Merilu

Merilu New Member

Hello from Texas! I'm arriving in Biarritz on August 13, 2016 at 10:30 AM... I tried to purchase a train ticket via internet. But I was not successful. Can anyone tell me how to? I think the next scheduled train departs to St. Jean is 14:00 or so. Thank you in advance, Merilu

4. Emm

Emm New Member

There is a bus right outside airport that takes you to train station - buy your ticket and you will have time for a celebratory beer at cafe right there! Don't worry if you get booted off the train as they will direct you to bus= no problem, Best if you can book in STJdP before as it gets busy there. It's a lovely place & worth a 2nd night! I had already met 5 Pilgrims by the time I got to train station & we all had beer together! Fun!

Merilu likes this.
  5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Merilu

This thread is actually about getting from Biarritz to Irun (Starting pint of the Camino Norte) – So to avoid potential confusion for all parties, I would browse existing threads about getting from Biarritz to Saint Jean Pied de Port and if you can’t find the info you need then start another one :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Merilu likes this.
  6. SussexGeezer

SussexGeezer New Member

Hi Rob:

Thanks for the advice on trains. Looks like I can walk the couple of km's from the airport to the train station then I'll walk into Irun from Hendaye. I'll try my luck at the refugio but I'll need to pick up a credencial. I read somewhere that they are available either at the refugio or the church in Irun.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  7. Merilu

Merilu New Member

Thank you Emm and Rob!

8. Granjie

Granjie New Member