1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biarritz To St Jean 9/1

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by Ali, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Ali

Ali New Member

hello fellow Pilgrims!
    Do any of you plan on arriving in Biarritz 9/1/2016 and need to get to St Jean that afternoon?
    Please reply if you can fit 2 more people into your vehicle.
    We arrive @ 1:30 from Madrid.
    Ultreya!
    Gracias,
    Ali

2. Armorel

Armorel Active Member

If you contact express bourricot(Google them) they will put people together to fill a cab from Biarritz to sjpp. They are very helpful. Raymond John recommended them

raymond john and Woodchild like this.
  3. Ali

Ali New Member

Thank you! I will look into this suggestion. Ultreya!

Armorel likes this.
  4. MDR

MDR New Member

Ali,

I arrive BIQ (from MAD) at 1:30 PM (13:30) Sept. 1. Not sure if you mean 01:30 or 13:30. I was planning to take the bus to Bayonne and the train to SJPP unless I met up with some other pilgrims. I've read this is a somewhat common practice to team up and take a taxi directly to SJPP, so I'd be interested in meeting up with you if that work.

5. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey MDR - Due to a train strike in April, I ended up sharing a taxi with others to SJPP. IT's not the cheapest way to go! Taxis are metered and the fare was 110€ Plus tip. Even with 2-3 others, that's pretty expensive. For about 10€, I'd suggest you wait for the 2:55 or 6:06 train to SJPP. Not sure of the bus schedule.

6. MDR

MDR New Member

Wily, thanks for the info. I thought I read int eh past that, if 4 pilgrims traveled together, the cost was only a little more than the train x 4. 110€ is not a "little", eh?

7. Ali

Ali New Member

Hello MDR,
    Thanks for writing!
    I believe we will be on same flight from Madrid. We hope to catch the 2:05 train to Bayone (however since that is only a 35 minute time frame if the flight is on time, i am trying to come up with plan B or a better plan A!)
    Are you a party of one? Is so, we then have 3. Sharing the express bouricot will still be pricey.
    Keep in touch.
    Possibly a few more pilgrims will write in!!
    To be continued...

8. MDR

MDR New Member

Ali, I am a party of 1. I wasn't aware there is a train to Bayonne. I expected to take the bus. The last I looked there are trains from Bayonne at 14:55 and 18:06 to SJPP.

9. Ali

Ali New Member

Hello MDR,
    If you still want to plan ahead for a ride from Biarritz to St Jean on September 1, go to this link and apply to express bourricot. (weirdly) the Email is apcaroline@Hotmail.com. I just registered for the 2 of us to get a lift at approximately 1400 (2pm). The website confirmed they received my request but not confirmed yet for the ride.
    Up to eight passengers with cost 20E if bus is full. You can cancel up to 30 minutes before departure.
    Have you walked this Camino before?
    I'll be in touch...

10. Ali

Ali New Member

Oh, MDR,
    I forgot to mention the train is a possibility if the flight is on time.
    Check out www.raileurope.com then put in location and date.
    Two trains are scheduled in the afternoon. 2:05 and 5:45. (approx. 11E.)
    That's a squeeze with 35 minutes to figure it all out! Thus the express B!
    Ultreya!

11. MDR

MDR New Member

Ali, I had checked with another organization and it's 120 euro for 1-8 passengers. Also they won't coordinate, so it's up to whoever reserves it. I just figured there wouldn't be enough to make it price competitive. Let me know if you get additional pilgrims that are interested. It would be less hassle than the bus and train, though.

Ali likes this.
  12. Ali

Ali New Member

Hi MDR, we 2 now have a reservation with express bourricot for 1515. (The 1430 only had one seat available...maybe you could catch that one-or the one we'll be on at 1515.) It's E19.
    Good luck and buen camino

13. mike gordon

mike gordon musico

So one last question does the train and the bus leave Bayonne to SJP from the same location, or if taking the bus do i need to go to a different location.

14. Ali

Ali New Member

Hello Mike, I cannot help you with bus. This is what I know: Afternoon trains leave from Gare de Biarritz to St jean pdp at 2:09 and 5:45 (both with stops in Bayonne 10 minutes away).
    The train station (Gare de Biarritz) is 2.5 km from airport, about a 5 minute taxi ride.
    With the timing of the flight we are on, we are not likely to make the 2:09 and thus will keep our reservation with express bourricot at 3:00 from airport.
    Good luck, buen camino!

15. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Mike - when I was at the Gare de Bayonne in April, there were buses just to the left out the front door. I believe they were the ones going to SJPP, but as there was a rail strike going on and there were no trains running, this might have been an anomaly. In any case, although the Bayonne station is small, there is a tourist information booth right in the lobby. The ladies there were very helpful to a fairly large number of pilgrims who didn't know about the rail strike or their other options for getting to SJPP. Their English was excellent so you won't have any trouble being directed to the right location. The general bus station is just a short walk across the river near the Maire. Buen Camino!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016